Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You somehow overlooked the LB's and I can see how/why you would. While you see occasional plays from the DB's or DL, the LB corps this year is invisible during the game. In fact the broadcaster, whose name I don't recall, was very candid in his assessment of their play (or lack thereof) at times.
I was lumping the entire defense together, but yes the LB play stank.

slugboy

Staff member
it would honestly be as silly as lifting weights on the sideline. trust your qb. if you bench your guy you bench him the rest of the game. it’s not a position you do that for
Some of the greatest coaches in the game have subbed out a QB to coach them and get them playing well. I cited examples. I can cite more.

There are teams that do bench their QB for the rest of the game—in 2017, Saban swapped Hurts for Tua. In the places where a player gets benched for the rest of the game, it’s because the other player takes over and you can’t take them out.

JacketFan137

Banned
Some of the greatest coaches in the game have subbed out a QB to coach them and get them playing well. I cited examples. I can cite more.

There are teams that do bench their QB for the rest of the game—in 2017, Saban swapped Hurts for Tua. In the places where a player gets benched for the rest of the game, it’s because the other player takes over and you can’t take them out.
you’ve cited examples from way too long ago to be relevant to the discussion. your qb is your qb and it would be amateur hour coaching to be rotating in and out unless you state that there is an open qb competition on the team or the guys bring some drastically different to the table (ie tebow coming in for red zone packages).

the qb position is one that needs to stay in the game and adjust to the rhythm of everything. if a coach thinks that haynes king needs to sit to get coaching then he should not be the starting qb period

slugboy

Staff member
you’ve cited examples from way too long ago to be relevant to the discussion. your qb is your qb and it would be amateur hour coaching to be rotating in and out unless you state that there is an open qb competition on the team or the guys bring some drastically different to the table (ie tebow coming in for red zone packages).

the qb position is one that needs to stay in the game and adjust to the rhythm of everything. if a coach thinks that haynes king needs to sit to get coaching then he should not be the starting qb period
The QB has to adjust to the rhythm of the game, but not safeties, linebackers, running backs, or wide receivers.

Out of all the players, QBs get swapped out less than other players. QBs and centers tend to stay in at all costs. But QBs don’t often run hot and cold like we’re seeing here. This is different, and we’ve seen it in every game so far—even SCST. At FSU or Ohio State or USC, you’d swap in a 4* or 5* QB for the rest of the game when someone goes cold like that. This is how you lose the starting job at Texas A&M.

In this case, our OC really likes King’s upside, but he’s really uneven. The 3 and out’s aren’t all on the OC and the OL—some of it is on King. He went cold in the Louisville game and that was one of the things that cost us. The second quarter was awesome—the third quarter was non-existent. In-game coaching is an option. It works, and good coaches use it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Is Sims still starting at Nebraska? Is he hurt again? I watched a little of that game and Sims wasn't the QB. I'm asking a serious question. Not about our QB.
Did he get pulled during the game or lost the starting job. Just curious.
I agree you don't pull your starter unless you are so far ahead you play the backup or you are losing so bad you don't want your starter to get hurt with no chance to win. You make a change on Sunday after you meet with your player and explain why you are making a change plus game plan may be different with different skill set. The game film won't lie either.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Is Sims still starting at Nebraska? Is he hurt again? I watched a little of that game and Sims wasn't the QB. I'm asking a serious question. Not about our QB.
Did he get pulled during the game or lost the starting job. Just curious.
I agree you don't pull your starter unless you are so far ahead you play the backup or you are losing so bad you don't want your starter to get hurt with no chance to win. You make a change on Sunday after you meet with your player and explain why you are making a change plus game plan may be different with different skill set. The game film won't lie either.
Sims got benched 3? Games ago. Think it was against Colorado. Got benched middle of the game cuz he’s bad

JacketFan137

Banned
Sims got benched 3? Games ago. Think it was against Colorado. Got benched middle of the game cuz he’s bad
yeah ole miss week they moved on and started the other guy.

sims is at the point i think he needs a sports psychologist cause he just doesn’t have it in the big moments but from what i’ve heard from tech people and nebraska people he looks dominant in practice.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what King can do to lift his teammates, but we could sure use a force of personality to raise the expectation tide for this team.

JacketFan137

Banned
Not sure what King can do to lift his teammates, but we could sure use a force of personality to raise the expectation tide for this team.
yeah i’m not sure he’s much of a vocal leader and i’m not sure that he has to be but it looks like we need someone on that side of the ball to step up.

also kinda frustrating no linemen stuck up for him when he got cheap shotted. would have had no issue with us taking an offsetting penalty for a lineman getting in the defenders face. would have at least shown some fight

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
yeah i’m not sure he’s much of a vocal leader and i’m not sure that he has to be but it looks like we need someone on that side of the ball to step up.

also kinda frustrating no linemen stuck up for him when he got cheap shotted. would have had no issue with us taking an offsetting penalty for a lineman getting in the defenders face. would have at least shown some fight
HK is #27 qb in nation. Most are sr but 7 are freshman and soph. So over next 2 years he will likely be way better.

He is only thing that gives me hope in gt football.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. I had not heard why he wasn't playing today. He got hurt more than once for us. Wonder what he does next. He's had chances.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. I had not heard why he wasn't playing today. He got hurt more than once for us. Wonder what he does next. He's had chances.
I hope Jeff gets another chance and turns it around, but from the couple of times I’ve seen him play for Nebraska, I think he’s done.

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
1480 TOT PAS YDS WITH 15 td'S (so far)---so---PUT THE BLAME ELSEWHERE. Maybe the "defense"--obviously!
In five starts, Haynes King ranks 26th in all-time GT passing yards and tied for 14th in passing touchdowns. Next up, Jimmy Stevens and Todd Rampley to surpass.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
In five starts, Haynes King ranks 26th in all-time GT passing yards and tied for 14th in passing touchdowns. Next up, Jimmy Stevens and Todd Rampley to surpass.
With how bad both our defense and run blocking are, I get the sense we will be passing a lot over our next seven games and King will be breaking all kinds of passing records.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
With how bad both our defense and run blocking are, I get the sense we will be passing a lot over our next seven games and King will be breaking all kinds of passing records

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
With how bad both our defense and run blocking are, I get the sense we will be passing a lot over our next seven games and King will be breaking all kinds of passing records.
People are wierd. They complain that a sophmore qb had an " off game" when he has 350 yds passing, 25 yds rushing, - targets 11 recievers, completes 65% of his passes, makes 4TD passes.
But they say he had 2 interceptions and he made some incompletions.
One of his inreceptione bounced of cooleys hands.

Some how Dontae got in at end of the game and caught a pass!

With this qb, and ol that can't run block utm,
this horrible bend and break defense we need to just open up and go air raid. The RPO is not working and it brings every one to the qb in middle of field.

On defense just go do the Tenuta blitz. Maybe the db can tackle better when being aggressive

Go full attack on Offense and defense. Great for TV.

slugboy

Staff member
People are wierd. They complain that a sophmore qb had an " off game" when he has 350 yds passing, 25 yds rushing, - targets 11 recievers, completes 65% of his passes, makes 4TD passes.
But they say he had 2 interceptions and he made some incompletions.
One of his inreceptione bounced of cooleys hands.

Some how Dontae got in at end of the game and caught a pass!

With this qb, and ol that can't run block utm,
this horrible bend and break defense we need to just open up and go air raid. The RPO is not working and it brings every one to the qb in middle of field.

On defense just go do the Tenuta blitz. Maybe the db can tackle better when being aggressive

Go full attack on Offense and defense. Great for TV.

There are a lot of stats we can pick. His QBR dropped yesterday against a really bad team

The first 5 minutes were awesome. The next few hours were not.

We did the same kind of talk for Sims. We counted only the successes and ignored the problems for a while.

That doesn’t excuse the receivers. But the top QBs in the conference win yesterday, and score. We have red zone issues, and some are on King.

IMG_2255.png

Last edited:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of stats we can pick. His QBR dropped yesterday against a really bad team

The first 5 minutes were awesome. The next few hours were not.

We did the same kind of talk for Sims. We counted only the successes and ignored the problems for a while.

That doesn’t excuse the receivers. But the top QBs in the conference win yesterday, and score. We have red zone issues, and some are on King.

The top QBs you listed have better OLs than King. No one is saying King was perfect yesterday, but he was by far the least of our problems. The OL, the RBs and WRs all performed much worse. He had WRs drop too many passes. He has TEs running free never looking for the pass. He has RBs that fall down upon contact (or tipping the ball to defenders). He has a line that seems incapable of blocking. I think he deserves a little slack for air mailing a pass or two, as well as trying to put too much touch on the pick 6 pass. I do not blame him at all for the second interception or the grounding. Those were on Cooley and Franklin.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
If Haynes King does exactly the same thing he did yesterday and the defense shows up on two drives at all we probably win the game. He did not have a great game. He wasn’t why we lost. And he also has things to fix.

We can win with Haynes King. We cannot win with that defense.