Haynes King Update: How Do We Feel About Him?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
King seemed inconsistent on his throws yesterday but that can happen in a game. Good news is he didn’t do anything too egregious that could have given the game away. Even when he’s not spectacular he plays smart now and doesn’t hurt us.

Can’t wait to see him when he puts it all together for one game. That will be a scary moment for an opponent.
HE is plural. Several were him and receiver having different zig when zag second coverage read . Get more healthy talanted receivers and we will have less tight coverage situations.

May the ol continue to improve. The left tackle freshman has very good footwork.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
the only thing i want to see more of is his legs. i feel like we are under utilizing him but i understand we probably don’t want to run him into the ground.

he can really run though
There was a designed run where he got in a foot race with a db on the outside and he was every bit as fast. You can see him hit a second gear on the film. If the db didn’t have an angle on him, King was gone.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure that I want King to take the hits associated with him running the ball more often. Pyron got hurt last year doing that. Sims goy hurt last year, and running probably took its toll on him. I value King too much as a passer and leader to chance him getting hurt. Think what our offense would be without him. <shudder> While I believe Pyron is a gutsy kid who will develop, he ain't King (yet).

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure that I want King to take the hits associated with him running the ball more often. Pyron got hurt last year doing that. Sims goy hurt last year, and running probably took its toll on him. I value King too much as a passer and leader to chance him getting hurt. Think what our offense would be without him. <shudder> While I believe Pyron is a gutsy kid who will develop, he ain't King (yet).
Answer is to only call safe runs 😊

slugboy

Staff member
I would like Pyron to get a lot of reps against Bowling Green after King is healthily relaxing on the sidelines with a big lead in the first half.

Knock wood 🪵

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think King has done a good job of being smart with running. He knows how to slide and get out of bounds to avoid a tackle, without leaving a bunch of extra yards on the field at the same time. With the o line doing as good a job as they have pass blocking, he thankfully hasn't had to take many hits. The only big hit on him I remember was the targeting by Louisville in the first game.

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
I've got to say, I am really impressed with the WR corps. These guys are making plays, and there are a ton of them making plays. Their success will be monumental in drawing other kids at WR.
I’m more excited for what it means for potential OL transfers or higher end recruits (4, 5* guys). If our OL was 10% more dominant in the run game, we beat Louisville. Our playcalling looked scared against Ole Miss, what if we had an OL that could have taken it to their DL? Haynes (both 😉) has the offensive talent to get some guys who wanna block for him.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I’m more excited for what it means for potential OL transfers or higher end recruits (4, 5* guys). If our OL was 10% more dominant in the run game, we beat Louisville. Our playcalling looked scared against Ole Miss, what if we had an OL that could have taken it to their DL? Haynes (both 😉) has the offensive talent to get some guys who wanna block for him.
If we had a bruiser, 3 yards and a cloud of dust RB and crushing OL we win the UL no doubt and we make the Ole Miss game VERY close

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If we had a bruiser, 3 yards and a cloud of dust RB and crushing OL we win the UL no doubt and we make the Ole Miss game VERY close

We just need to get creative with our blocking if we're missing a bruiser at RB. I forget what team it was that motioned the TE from the slot into the A gap, and essentially used him as another guard to give them a 4 on 3 blocking edge in short yardage situation. Use a DT or extra guard in the backfield to act as a blocking fullback.

Sure, you declare what you're doing, but then it becomes a game of whether their smaller guy will beat our bigger guy off the block. The vast majority of times we should (emphasis on should) win those matchups, and the RB should have room to create extra yardage and keep the chains moving.

There's also the ability to create deception off those plays for the passing game.

At the end of the day, it's about how creative you want to get with personnel packages and schemes. Right now, the Miami Dolphins are probably the best in the business in terms of creating advantages at every level of the field. They're one of the few NFL teams I enjoy watching because of how creative their coach is.

EDIT:

This isn't the exact play I was thinking of, but similar TE motion into the gap concept:

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am in the camp of wanting to see Haynes come out lead a scoring drive to start the 3rd Q then let Pyron ride the rest of the way with the 2s on skill and OL positions.. We HAVE to stay healthy (almost as much as get another w) for the season to go our way.

I'll be big time bummed if we lose another WR or OL from the Offense in a game against BG. No offense meant, but our rotation guys better be better than their starters.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I am in the camp of wanting to see Haynes come out lead a scoring drive to start the 3rd Q then let Pyron ride the rest of the way with the 2s on skill and OL positions.. We HAVE to stay healthy (almost as much as get another w) for the season to go our way.

I'll be big time bummed if we lose another WR or OL from the Offense in a game against BG. No offense meant, but our rotation guys better be better than their starters.
I’m in agreement 100% here.
I’ve been harping on it, but I’ll harp some more…3rd quarter starts are a big red flag for me right now. It cost us Lville, kept us from really challenging at Ole Miss and let WF have a chance to wipe away 17 point lead.
Our play coming out of the locker room has been lackluster / uninspired. We need to stress intensity out of the half and / or make better adjustments. I wholeheartedly support a third quarter opening drive with starters fully engaged and hope that’s the last we need to see of them this weekend.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think King has done a good job of being smart with running. He knows how to slide and get out of bounds to avoid a tackle, without leaving a bunch of extra yards on the field at the same time. With the o line doing as good a job as they have pass blocking, he thankfully hasn't had to take many hits. The only big hit on him I remember was the targeting by Louisville in the first

I think the best College Football teams have mobile QBs. I think the key is when to get down and not take big shots. But a threat of a QB who can run opens up lanes for running and passing.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the best College Football teams have mobile QBs. I think the key is when to get down and not take big shots. But a threat of a QB who can run opens up lanes for running and passing.
Define mobile. Are we talking Cam Newton, Lamar Jackson or someone like a Trevor Lawrence who can move if necessary?