Haynes King starting vs. UL

Should we merge some stuff

• Move the starting QB posts from the depth chart thread into this one

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Leave the threads as they are now

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • Make one big thread

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Fire Danny Hall (whoops, this is football)

Votes: 27 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
And BTW, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by the passing game this year. We have some speed (FINALLY) and an OC that will utilize speed to stretch the field...go watch some film from Buster's previous stints as OC.
Eric Singleton Jr. He will likely be used in some situations to really stretch the field.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
That screams turnovers to me. Being the first year with the OC and not the greatest WR room.

I like our WR room, but it's true we don't have guys with much proven production. I think the biggest deficit here is lack of time to develop chemistry with the QB.

But let's be honest. We can't expect ourselves to be an elite offense. We are going to make mistakes and a good deal of them are likely to be of the turnover variety. I expect us to show lulls and flashes this year and hope for us to be good enough in totality to make a bowl game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I could see top 10 in the ACC. So, not the bottom. But we have a long way to go. Our best WR in Leo Blackburn won't be ready until late October at best. That's if he comes back this year at all.
Dom Blaylock has had multiple injuries and is certainly not the top 50 player in the country he once was.
The transfer Janneh is unproven at the P4 level.
Leary hasn't done anything at Bama.
Chase Lane had some production at A&M but not stellar.
DJ Moore is young but a ton of upside. Could be the top wr on the team by years end.
Avery Boyd has never put it together. He is now doing some TE work to be a flex guy.
James Blackstrain has been hurt and never put it together.
Zion Taylor is a freshman with good upside.
Eric Singleton is a freshman you'll hear about. He can take the roof off a defense. Legit 4.3 speed.
Malik Rutherford is the loan guy with proven production. As of today going into the Louisville game he is the leader in the WR room when it comes to production and possibly skill.
Wait, Malik Rutherford is on loan? 😜

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I could see top 10 in the ACC. So, not the bottom. But we have a long way to go. Our best WR in Leo Blackburn won't be ready until late October at best. That's if he comes back this year at all.
Dom Blaylock has had multiple injuries and is certainly not the top 50 player in the country he once was.
The transfer Janneh is unproven at the P4 level.
Leary hasn't done anything at Bama.
Chase Lane had some production at A&M but not stellar.
DJ Moore is young but a ton of upside. Could be the top wr on the team by years end.
Avery Boyd has never put it together. He is now doing some TE work to be a flex guy.
James Blackstrain has been hurt and never put it together.
Zion Taylor is a freshman with good upside.
Eric Singleton is a freshman you'll hear about. He can take the roof off a defense. Legit 4.3 speed.
Malik Rutherford is the loan guy with proven production. As of today going into the Louisville game he is the leader in the WR room when it comes to production and possibly skill.

Blackburn is called the best but why? Possibly he is, but truthfully at this stage we don't even really know.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What we saw Haynes do in HS before Jimbo got a hold of him.

I think the sky is the limit at GT

At the ACC champion ship talky talky jimbo could not get their star qb to givec the ball to delvin cook so they could give their d a rest. During time outs the qb ignored him. At the end they gave ball to cook . Jimbo needs massive talent advantage.

In last part of 4th quarter - hanynes ran the qb keep stiludent body right, quick pass to rb on sideline, option keep to right, power I give to giant rb off tackle for td.
Definitely a coaches son.

Imo, he must have greatly improved his passing mechanics to be our starter.
Lets go to battle w king.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I like our WR room, but it's true we don't have guys with much proven production. I think the biggest deficit here is lack of time to develop chemistry with the QB.

But let's be honest. We can't expect ourselves to be an elite offense. We are going to make mistakes and a good deal of them are likely to be of the turnover variety. I expect us to show lulls and flashes this year and hope for us to be good enough in totality to make a bowl game.
Agreed. I think this offense with King at the helm will be a pleasant surprise. After years of complete offensive ineptitude, a half way decent offense will be a huge improvement - even if it's not consistently good. Our offense has been putrid and that's putting it mildly.

King appears to have a good arm and good touch. From what I've seen of Buster's offenses at MTSU and Valdosta, it will spread/air raid concepts with a lot of timing routes - i.e. quick hitters, swing routes, slants, etc. This could REALLY help the O-line, especially early in the season as they're gelling. The flip side to that is the route timing may not be there yet between QB and receiver.

That kinda suggests to me that King may have the nod because he has the reads/timing down better than Pyron at this point. That could easily change with more practice and reps.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Now's not the time for honesty. Now is the time for unbridled optimism and unrealistic expectations. We'll have plenty of time for honesty later... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

It just occurred to me that perhaps Key's naming of the starter now, rather than later, was done in part to allow more time to focus on developing that chemistry with the presumed starting WRs.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Blackburn is called the best but why? Possibly he is, but truthfully at this stage we don't even really know.
We'll see, but from what I'm hearing, Avery Boyd is turning heads. He's supposedly one of the fastest guys on the team, but he's built like a linebacker and is one of, if not THE, strongest kids on the team. He may be lining up at TE, but he could easily be the most productive receiver for us with his combination of size and speed.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Just watched his passes vs Sam Houston and Bama last year and some were really solid.. others complete head scratchers. His receivers had to make some serious plays to save interceptions, and even then he had 6 over 5 games. Throwing into double and sometimes triple coverage with no clear opening.

With this being said, who knows what passes Jimbo was forcing and what passes were just bad reads. It’s worth noting that once King was benched, the next guy’s completion percentage was the exact same. However King did have 6 int’s over 187 attempts vs. Weigman’s 0 int’s over 132 att.

All this being said I have full faith in BF’s ability to orchestrate a better offense and utilize King better. We know how good Pyron looked, so the reason they picked him will likely show.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I’m not surprised. I like Pyron, but came away from the spring impressed with King. But as mike Tyson says, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. One thing about Pyron I know is that he is tough as a coffin nail. Hopefully king is the same way.

I’m not sold on our WR as a unit, but we have gotten more athletic there. If DJ can stay healthy, he has all the athletic skill to be an All-ACC player. As they say, the further away from the ball, the more impact you can make as a newcomer. I hope we get to see that.

Everyone, including Key, is talking about his ability to push it downfield, but I think Buster probably likes his wheels. He used that with Stetson a lot last year, I assume he wants to do the same here. Pyron is also a good runner but I think king has another gear.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just watched his passes vs Sam Houston and Bama last year and some were really solid.. others complete head scratchers. His receivers had to make some serious plays to save interceptions, and even then he had 6 over 5 games. Throwing into double and sometimes triple coverage with no clear opening.

With this being said, who knows what passes Jimbo was forcing and what passes were just bad reads. It’s worth noting that once King was benched, the next guy’s completion percentage was the exact same. However King did have 6 int’s over 187 attempts vs. Weigman’s 0 int’s over 132 att.

All this being said I have full faith in BF’s ability to orchestrate a better offense and utilize King better. We know how good Pyron looked, so the reason they picked him will likely show.
Yeah, I worry about his picks. Could be poor decision making, or OC poor play calling.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not surprised. I like Pyron, but came away from the spring impressed with King. But as mike Tyson says, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. One thing about Pyron I know is that he is tough as a coffin nail. Hopefully king is the same way.

I’m not sold on our WR as a unit, but we have gotten more athletic there. If DJ can stay healthy, he has all the athletic skill to be an All-ACC player. As they say, the further away from the ball, the more impact you can make as a newcomer. I hope we get to see that.

Everyone, including Key, is talking about his ability to push it downfield, but I think Buster probably likes his wheels. He used that with Stetson a lot last year, I assume he wants to do the same here. Pyron is also a good runner but I think king has another gear.
Stetson was a rollout and pass machine last year and was good at delivering while on the run. I can see Buster envisioning a similar style offense this season using Kings overall strengths to his advantage he historically was considered a great thrower on the run and designed rollouts.