Hawaii Diamond Head Classic

slugboy

Staff member
There’s an entire 9 people in GTswarm.com/chat to discuss in real time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
This is the first time you've posted about this, can you please elaborate?? Very interesting stuff.

It would be nice if every first half wasn’t deja vu. If they lose tonight, they will be tied with Nebraska for most losses on the season among the major conferences.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Yeah obviously we are majorly underachieving, I don't think anyone is going to argue with you.

Oh there are/were some making every excuse in the book for Pastner. I can’t imagine what this board would be like if GT was a basketball school.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh there are/were some making every excuse in the book for Pastner. I can’t imagine what this board would be like if GT was a basketball school.

Well let's see who is still showing up with excuses for coach if we lose this one. Most people "defending" him aren't actually big fans of the coach they just don't think we are able to make changes anytime soon.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Fantastic second part of the second half. I think I’m going to just hope for the best, as I don’t want to ruin the board experience for anyone on here.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I really like that walk on PG Boyd. He looks like a coach's son (I know he is) and has played smart in the few minutes he has gotten. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a scholarship before his time is on the Flats is up.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys stepped up after Usher left. 18-23 from the line and the defense was suffocating them as the game went on. Just need to see that display put on for a longer duration as this schedule ramps up.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Last 10 minutes of the game is were it got fun.
If you recorded the game just jump to the 12 minutes left in the game and enjoy.

Did see some double screens set to get Devoe open.

It's so nice seeing Jose back.

Usher could be really good, just needs to stay composed.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The second half showed a flash of what this team could be. Banks had his best half in a long time, Moses played well, the defense was good, Mike was back to his scoring ways, and Jose was making an impact on almost every phase.

Get some time to recover before FSU then UNC on the road. It would be huge if we could manage to win one or both of these games and if we can build on the second half we certainly have a chance.

GT11

GT Athlete
If you recorded the game just jump to the 12 minutes left in the game and enjoy.

Did see some double screens set to get Devoe open.

It's so nice seeing Jose back.

Usher could be really good, just needs to stay composed.
Played second half like they are capable of playing. Played with good energy on defense. Banks finally rolled like he should have been doing all along. That’s why he is setting the screens so high, roll to the basket. If they start picking him up, it leaves the weak side open.

Did anybody notice the comments of Corey - GT has the ability to finish in the upper have of the ACC. Believe it or not, I personally agree. Unlike others I’m still waiting for conference play to really begin and I’ll be there at every game pulling for the TEAM and the STAFF.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Good win against Hawai’i. Good second half. Great defense. Very good second half by Banks. Too many empty possessions in first half and early second half, but overall got good contributions from everybody on the floor. I thought bubba played much better. Moses played well again. Jose did a good job running the show. Devoe really turned it up. It looked like he was just playing with defenders on some of his drives to the basket, especially second half.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I have to admit—four minutes into the 2nd half, after we had gone scoreless for six minutes of game time, I pulled up the guide on the TV and saw that “The Ref” was about to start on HBO. Since that is our absolute favorite Christmas movie, my wife and I decided to switch the channel...and I just now found out that we missed all the excitement of the 2nd half. (Dang—shoulda DVR’d it, just in case.)

My conclusions:

(A) We need to have more faith;

and

(2) We need to start watching “The Ref” at the start of the 2nd half of every game from now on.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Prior to Jose getting hurt and our offense going down the crapper, I thought a line-up with Alvarado, Devoe, and Parhnam may be our best offensive package.

I thought those three presented a lot of problems tonight. Getting any of them going toward the basket makes good things happen. They have to finish better, but we did a better job of that tonight. Bubba may have had his best game as a Yellow Jacket.

What more can you say about Moses? He’s just ballin right now. His consistency in all phases has improved drastically. That you man is killing it right now.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Did anybody notice the comments of Corey - GT has the ability to finish in the upper have of the ACC. Believe it or not, I personally agree.

I think the potential is there.

IMO a line up of Alvarado, Devoe, Usher, Wright, and Banks can play with anyone when they are playing well. That means Banks playing with his head in the game like the second half tonight or the NCSU game. It means getting good Usher and good Devoe. Defensively that lineup can be very strong, and offensively, there isn't really a weak player there (again with the caveat of when they are playing well). The big questions are how consistent can that line up be. Devoe had a rough couple of games against Cuse and Kentucky but overall he's still had a great year. He's scored in double digits the last 4 games and I think with Jose back he'll be more comfortable and feel a little less pressure. Moses has been remarkably consistent for us double digits in 9 games and 15 or more in 6 games. And it's not just garbage points either. He's improved both his post moves and his mid range jumper to the point where the other team has to respect it. Two years ago teams could ignore him on offense. That is certainly not the case. Same is true for Usher at the 3. He's often out of control, and hasn't been overly efficient in his scoring but he's shown the ability to get to the rim and the ability to create decent looks for himself off the dribble. Obviously we saw last year, and this year for Devoe, the ability of Devoe, Alvarado, and Banks to score. If we can get consistent play from that group, we'll have a chance in most games which will be good enough for top half in the ACC.

The question for me is can Moore find his niche on the team. He had another 0fer game tonight. Tonight it wasn't so much of a problem. He played good D and pulled down 6 rebs (tied for most). If he can give us that and can finish some drop offs and run out opportunities that will be a good contribution. The big thing is he can't give us negative plays. He needs to not have turnovers. Same with Bubba. He had a solid game. 7 points while not forcing the issue, good ball handling (0 turnovers) and solid defense. The way I am starting to look at Bubba is it would be wonderful if he could consistently be a guy who could hit 2 or 3 threes every game but I'm more hoping he can win 3 games for us by going off big in those games, and otherwise just contribute solidly like he did tonight. If we can get 3 games from him where he hits 5 or 6 threes that would go a long ways towards being able to finish in the upper half.

Otherwise, I just don't see Price contributing much this year. I like him and think he has a bright future for us, but if his shot isn't falling there is no real reason for him to play over any of the other guards/wings right now. I would like to see him get a few minutes every game to see if he can find his stroke because I do think he has a nice looking shot, but I generally see this year as a year he gets experience, adds some muscle, and learns from those ahead of him. Unfortunately I think Cole just hasn't developed like we hoped. It would be great if he could play the 5 but I just don't see it and with the way Moses is playing there is no way Cole is getting minutes over him. I would like to see a line up with him and Moses in there with Jose back because Cole could benefit a good bit from Jose being able to create for him.

Overall we have the pieces but we need some guys to quickly step up their game and live up to their potential. The biggetst one is Banks, but we also need Jose to get healthy and knock down some more shots, and for Usher to settle in a bit.