Hawaii Diamond Head Classic

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Moses continues to part the seas of doubt. I remember back when we offered. Unrated, no offers, and I read articles about how no way was he P5 material. You win some of those, you lose more...that was a big win.

Ohhh mercy, you been sittin on that'n for a while, huh?

Nice gritty win. Fun to watch JA snatch that dudes heart in the 2nd half.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
We turned it around when Banks went out with fouls. Banks is a great defensive player, but trying to run the offense through him is like playing a Defensive Lineman at Quarterback. He does not have the hands or the skill to do it. However, he can play some defense and we need to use that and quit trying to turn him into something he is not.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
My favorite moment of the game was early first half. Jose misses a wide open three in front of BSU bench and they clap him off the whole 4 second time gap between plays.

Next possession BSU brings the ball down and JA pokes the ball out for a steal and easy layup. He looks right at their bench and claps right back.

That’s a NYC PG. That’s exactly the mentality we have been missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We turned it around when Banks went out with fouls. Banks is a great defensive player, but trying to run the offense through him is like playing a Defensive Lineman at Quarterback. He does not have the hands or the skill to do it. However, he can play some defense and we need to use that and quit trying to turn him into something he is not.
That is it! He clogs the middle and is not a good passer out of the high post. I like him in there for d but hell yeah we need some of our more offensive minded players to get more pt. Khalid Moore has lost all confidence, especially on offense.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
My favorite moment of the game was early first half. Jose misses a wide open three in front of BSU bench and they clap him off the whole 4 second time gap between plays.

Next possession BSU brings the ball down and JA pokes the ball out for a steal and easy layup. He looks right at their bench and claps right back.

That’s a NYC PG. That’s exactly the mentality we have been missing.

My favorite play was when he poked the ball out of one of their guards hands like 3 times in a row and he went craaazzzzyy! We’ve been needing that energy the whole night.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
My favorite play was when he poked the ball out of one of their guards hands like 3 times in a row and he went craaazzzzyy! We’ve been needing that energy the whole night.

Also an instant classic. He plays as though every possession is for real and any affront requires an immediate response and confrontation ALL WITHOUT stupid fouls.

That hard nosed mentality has been missing and is needed.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

We turned it around when Jose changes the energy of the game. We still lacked offensive flow, but played with tremendous heart and energy on both ends, which led to a lot of transition buckets and rebounds. We missed him big time!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Why is this thread so much shorter than the Ball State postgame discussion? We hit 6 pages by midnight Wednesday with a later tip.

Hot take... if Jordan Usher continues to improve at the same pace he did from game 1 to game 2... let's just say we might be staring at Kobe Jordan. They will rename this tournament the Air Mamba Classic.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
In all seriousness, Usher and Alvarado brought the energy and were the difference from what we'd been seeing in prior games. And you can make the argument that Moses was the game MVP as well.

Imagine any prior game and having the following foul out: Wright (5 min left), Devoe and Parham. Now imagine that happening against a team with a pulse. How likely is it that we win by 14? Let's see how the team settles in with a full roster. Too early to say 1 game in, but overall today was encouraging.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Last thoughts... I thought Devoe was ok. Then I checked the box and he grabbed 9 boards (GUARD REBOUNDING!)... 1 rebound shy of the quietest double-double. He went 0 of 6 from three-land on mostly open looks i.e., he by no means played his best game and was still effective.

First half turnovers almost killed us. Dumb with the ball and the charge/block/whatever fest almost made this unwatchable at times. I hope Bubba gets a call the next game as he was sacrificing himself for the team today. Not easy taking hits at his size and he was clearly frustrated.

KenPom has us now at #36 AdjD. If we keep playing with energy on both ends then we might be able to improve our O simply via transition buckets. We have some depth now, plus a real floor general, to enable that type of game. Devoe was the highest minute-getter at 32:54 today.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Last thoughts... I thought Devoe was ok. Then I checked the box and he grabbed 9 boards (GUARD REBOUNDING!)... 1 rebound shy of the quietest double-double. He went 0 of 6 from three-land on mostly open looks i.e., he by no means played his best game and was still effective.

First half turnovers almost killed us. Dumb with the ball and the charge/block/whatever fest almost made this unwatchable at times. I hope Bubba gets a call the next game as he was sacrificing himself for the team today. Not easy taking hits at his size and he was clearly frustrated.

KenPom has us now at #36 AdjD. If we keep playing with energy on both ends then we might be able to improve our O simply via transition buckets. We have some depth now, plus a real floor general, to enable that type of game. Devoe was the highest minute-getter at 32:54 today.
Your thoughts are spot on, but turnovers, fouls and poor shooting continue to plague us. Fortunately, when we play with energy on the defensive end, we are tough to score on.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Your thoughts are spot on, but turnovers, fouls and poor shooting continue to plague us. Fortunately, when we play with energy on the defensive end, we are tough to score on.
Agree on turnovers and fouls. On the shooting comment though, we shot 48% from FG and 75% from the line today. One game, I know. And while we weren't effective from 3, I'll take all 6 of Devoe's attempts any night if he can get them that open.

Ultimately I don't think anyone cares how we get the W, but to your point we can't be as careless with the ball as we were in the 1st half and expect to win a ton of games that way. But our D carried us until we got going, and that is a great thing to fall back on. We won the boards 43-27 also.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Good win but only 5 assists. How is that even possible? Shows a lot about the offense.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I said after the Nebraska game that I felt our offense was better with Moses at the 5, and I still believe that. At this point, I think I would consider bringing James off the bench. Not necessarily a bad thing as it may help motivate him, and it may help him get into a flow seeing it from the sideline.

It’s late in the season to be making a lot of wholesale changes to the scheme, but we have to figure out a way to play through the bigs on the block more often. Either way, it was SO refreshing to have Jose back. His energy and tenacity as contagious, and he definitely sparked us tonight. Everyone was playing in a different gear last night.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Really good coast to coast win for the team. This team may play lost without Jose' but great to see that the coaching staff has not lost the team as some posters have stated. Fun game to watch with Jose' and Usher's energy sparking the whole team.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk