Has Georgia Tech Football entered the Bill Lewis Era part II?

Is Geoff Collins the next Bill Lewis

• Yes

Votes: 70 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 226 76.4%

• Total voters

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
MWBATL said:

I think the answer to this is obvious. By your own (hopefully sarcastic) words, Ross took over a team that was winless in the ACC etc. CGC took over a team that was 5-3 in the ACC, second in the coastal. Like **** *****, CGC took over a team that played in a bowl game. It is indeed a wonder o_O why people might compare him to CBL and not CBR.

Umm, no. Ross took over a team that had gone 5-5-1 and 3-3 in the ACC, and he led them to a winless year in his first season.......i think you missed my point entirely!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am really curious as to why we are not comparing Collins to Bobby Ross. Of course, there are differences, just as there are with Collins and Lewis...but

Lewis took over a team that was 8-5 and played in a bowl game the previous year and went 5-6

Ross took over a team that had gone 5-5-1 the previous year and went 2-9, winless in the ACC and winless against "Power 5" opponents. (He did beat The Citadel)

How is it that our football geniuses on this site already can see that this is he reincarnation of Bill Lewis and not the reincarnation of Bobby Ross? I clearly need to learn more to be able to see the difference, so educate me....or is everything based on one poor game against The Citadel?

I just don't want him to be the reincarnation of Ron Zook who had a somewhat similar style at Florida. In his defense, he did beat UGA two of the three years he was there and was the underdog each time. He had his moments but losing to Ole Miss and Mississippi State will eventually get you fired at Florida. He was a "players coach" as well.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
As a long suffering Tech fan, I desperately want this staff to succeed. I will continue to attend games. I will continue to contribute. I will try not to throw players under the bus. :oops:

But will ask questions this morning. Did South Carolina beat uGag with a less talented team? If yes, then did coaching make a difference? If yes, then shouldn't we hold our coaches accountable and not make excuses for them?
South Carolina has had a Top 20 ranked recruiting class in 4 of the last 5 years. They have regularly snagged 4 star defensive line targets from GA that we were after heavily like Kingsley Enagbare and MJ Webb. They are not in UGAg's talent class, but they are considerably above ours, especially in key areas that are hurting us now, like DL. I believe CGC is capable of bringing in their level of talent, if not UGAg's. When he does, then we can assess performance against UGAg.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Umm, no. Ross took over a team that had gone 5-5-1 and 3-3 in the ACC, and he led them to a winless year in his first season.......i think you missed my point entirely!

I took your post as sarcasm because CGC took over a team that was 5-3 in the ACC (2nd in the Coastal), a team that played in a bowl game. That's nothing like the team CBR inherited.

Now, if your point is that a coach can go from a win-less conference record to a National Championship, I agree with you. However, the record of the previous coach is meaningless to that, so why did you bring it up?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Because they pay the bills? The tv money is there 1-11 or 12-0. Our record has no effect on that. I understand your point, but it DOES matter what the fans perceive. Do they give more, do they buy that extra season ticket, do they buy that sweatshirt we all want but for some reason tech won’t sell, etc.

If you don't win ball games and at least meet some minimal expectation, the length of the contract will not matter. Seasons of 1-11, 2-10 or even 3-9 will end any coach's tenure.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Except the payout is bigger thanks to TStan.

Let us hope the ship is righted and it does not come to that. Thirty years after he left Florida in disgrace as a coach, Doug Dickey returned to Florida Field as athletic director of Tennessee. When his name was announced the last name was inaudible as it was drowned out by the longest, loudest sustained booing I ever heard anywhere. Such would probably be the fate of Coach Collins were he to not meet the regrettably lofty expectations of the Tech fan base. This fan base is so divided and on edge it will take nothing less than a winning season and Coastal Division championship to calm the waters. IIWII

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Let us hope the ship is righted and it does not come to that. Thirty years after he left Florida in disgrace as a coach, Doug Dickey returned to Florida Field as athletic director of Tennessee. When his name was announced the last name was inaudible as it was drowned out by the longest, loudest sustained booing I ever heard anywhere. Such would probably be the fate of Coach Collins were he to not meet the regrettably lofty expectations of the Tech fan base. This fan base is so divided and on edge it will take nothing less than a winning season and Coastal Division championship to calm the waters. IIWII
Nah, look at the poll results. It's a small contingent of extremely vocal grumps with various agendas, many of whom seem to congregate on GTSwarm who're losing their ish after half a season. Most of the fan base is reasonable and willing to give it some time.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Fans are all the same. We are no different. What we think means nothing. Collins is smart enough not to care one flip what any fan thinks. Everyone with any knowledge knows what is going on. We have very little along the offensive and defensive lines, hence we probably won’t win another game. Whose fault is it that our best Olineman transferred and our best DLineman died? And then our next best is out for the year. Collins is recruiting his butt off and that is the name of the game. Until we get an offensive line that can block and a defensive line that won’t give the opposing QB five seconds to torch the DB’s we won’t win a game. That’s not Collins fault.

I like our DB’s but they can’t cover for 6 seconds every play. I like our QB and WR’s but our QB is getting crushed within 2 seconds of getting the snap. Knight is going to be a beast at LB. Collins will get us players and no one will care about 2019 when he does.
Is CGC the next Bill Lewis? Yes ( ) No ( ) Don't know yet (x)

In so many words, Liberty Turns said below that fans' opinions do matter because they are the paying customer. There is some legitimacy in what he says. It's certainly true for professional sports. Without the fans, franchises pack up and leave for another city or they fold. In reality, college football is a little different, especially at a small-market school like Tech. I'd imagine the major donors, influential alumni and the Hill matter more in the end than the great mass of us fans. Our opinions mean nothing, and yet at the same time, they mean something...

In the words of Ken Dryden, who once wrote about referees in hockey, you can argue and argue a call till you're blue in the face, and the referee is not going to change the call. (The same is true in baseball.) In these situations, the player or coach is not trying to get the call changed. What he's actually trying to do by voicing his displeasure is influence the referee's next call. As fans, we may not have that great of a say in what goes on, but we can be influencers with our opinions.

I'm willing to give CGC the benefit of the doubt. If he's learning on the job and is aware he's in over his head, the first thing I'd do is find some successful retired coaches and go for advice, if you're not fortunate to have a successful mentor already. Read the philospohies of good winning coaches in the offseason. Also, look far and wide for good up-and-coming young coaching talent. "Coaching geniuses" don't become that way overnight. Usually they're already geniuses to begin with, before they ever get to the P5 level. I watched a replay of Hawaii playing a bowl game in '91 or '92 with CPJ in the booth. It was obvious then he was already a great coaching mind. The idea, as a hypothetical HC in CGC's shoes, might be to find those young guys, let them do their jobs the way Coach Swinney does, and concentrate on what you do best.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We get 1.5x revenue from fans than we get from TV. Roughly $53M fan based revenue (tickets & donations, etc) to $37M from TV & ACC. Revenue from TV is big of course, but fans make the difference.

And GT will continue to get the fans money. The entitlement mentality of fan bases is just funny. If all fans stopped spending at the same time then you guys would have a point. But this idea that Collins has to listen to the fans is ludicrous. We could go 1-10 the next 2 years and we’d still have fans in the stands and folks buying merchandise. We are a very small fan base with a small dedicated alumni fan base. It’s been that way for a long time. A few losing seasons won’t change that just like a few winning seasons never filled Bobby Dodd. And when Collins turns the roster and gets in his players we’ll all be there cheering. The sky is not falling and Collins is smart enough to stick to his plan regardless of empty threats not to renew tickets or with hold donations.

Animal02

Banned
And GT will continue to get the fans money. The entitlement mentality of fan bases is just funny. If all fans stopped spending at the same time then you guys would have a point. But this idea that Collins has to listen to the fans is ludicrous. We could go 1-10 the next 2 years and we’d still have fans in the stands and folks buying merchandise. We are a very small fan base with a small dedicated alumni fan base. It’s been that way for a long time. A few losing seasons won’t change that just like a few winning seasons never filled Bobby Dodd. And when Collins turns the roster and gets in his players we’ll all be there cheering. The sky is not falling and Collins is smart enough to stick to his plan regardless of empty threats not to renew tickets or with hold donations.
I guess you never saw the early '80s. :rolleyes:

Nah, look at the poll results. It's a small contingent of extremely vocal grumps with various agendas, many of whom seem to congregate on GTSwarm who're losing their ish after half a season. Most of the fan base is reasonable and willing to give it some time.
The only "agenda" this "extremely vocal grump" has is WINNING !!!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I guess you never saw the early '80s. :rolleyes:

I am really curious about your and @Supersizethatorder-mutt 's opinion.

Do you believe that most of the people that are huge fans of CGC and his style are that way because they really do believe GT can compete for top 10 success by recruiting at a high level, OR do you believe they will be happy with mediocre success (after a few painful years) as long as they don't have to see the TO anymore? I ask this realizing that except 2 years, that is about all we had was mediocre success with the TO, due to difficult recruiting.

I will tell you guys that my gut (my opinion only) is that the TO and CPJ's personality "embarrassed" many, and they would support just about anything that is in an opposite direction from his style.