GTWBB 2022 (Off-season thread)

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Casas has lived in Barcelona the last three years while w/ the Spanish Federation National Team.

She said that her mom didn’t want her to play basketball. From Aragon. Trained at Stadium Casablanca. Currently in the Segle 22.
Participated in the Basketball Without Borders event in Milan, during June 1-4. European for high level prospects; from an invite only for those who get to attend.
———————————————————————————————————
I translated this page(please tell me if you want it deleted, with taking up too much space?)-

Both my mother, María Pilar Casas, who played at Banco Zaragoza, and my father, Santos Termis, who also played at a very good level, have been able to take my training. When he was one year old he was already swimming so that he would not be afraid of the water. I also started practicing karate very early to gain coordination.

Mom and Dad knew what they were doing...

He also played tennis. I didn't start playing basketball until I was six years old. It was in Maristas, in a mixed team. I was a year younger than them. Carlos Alias, who now plays for Casademont, and David Cartiel, who also played for Casademont and is now a great athlete, also played on the team.

I think so, Cartiel. An out of series.

In these, I began to grow. At two years old, he was one meter tall. With six, 1.40. It grew 10 centimeters per year. With ten years, 1.80. With eleven, 1.90. Now I measure 1.98.

It's enough with 1.98 meters, already...

I signed for Stadium Casablanca when I was young. I improved a lot there. I coincided with the generation of Claudia Langarita, Alejandra Mastral, Marina Cenis... We managed to win the Mini Cup.

Quite an achievement, the Mini Cup, against the best quarries in Spain.

It was very nice. When I was 14 years old, they suggested I join the 21st century, a very ambitious project of the Spanish Basketball Federation.

Was it hard to leave Zaragoza?

Yes. I am an only child, my parents love me very much. But a decision had to be made and I made it. My parents come to Barcelona every weekend to watch me play. I've been there for three years now.

This summer is being incredible: first they quote her with the sub 17 and now with the sub 18.

The silver medal was very nice. We reached the final with the United States. Before, we knew how to beat Mali in the round of 16; to Australia, in quarters; and France, in the semifinals. Marina Mata, who is from Barbastro and also belongs to the 21st century, also plays in the national team.

And now, to the European Championship with the sub 18.

I am very grateful for the trust that the coach, Bernat Canut, has placed in me. They are already focused. They have given me a few days off and I will join tomorrow, the 21st. I have been in the Spanish teams since the sub 12.

Just like Mara, in addition to being tall, she provides many more variables.

Thanks.

You don't play with height alone: ??you have to know how to read the game.

Thanks again. By the way, with Mara we are distant family.
It is very good.

With that height, his only problem will be the clothes...

Not for the moment. The problem, perhaps, is the pants: I have a narrow waist and long legs; but my grandmother María Pilar butts her pants well.

And after the European sub 18, what are you going to do?

I'm doing well in studies. I got an average of 9.4. I'm going to start second year of Baccalaureate. Later, I want to study Biochemistry and play in the United States.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
My buddy pointed out that Bulane was no longer on the roster. Looks like GT has 13 on scholarship(including Clark, who basically practices and/or mops up). Morgan and Jackson(converted PG)are the lead guards, with Swartz and Dunn at the 2G. Hopefully, we get Boswell ready to back up the Point too.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My buddy pointed out that Bulane was no longer on the roster. Looks like GT has 13 on scholarship(including Clark, who basically practices and/or mops up). Morgan and Jackson(converted PG)are the lead guards, with Swartz and Dunn at the 2G. Hopefully, we get Boswell ready to back up the Point too.
I was disappointed in Bulane's play last after having high expectations based on her play early in the season. Apparently Nell felt the same, as Bulane had her minutes greatly diminished. Nell thought so little of her PG fit that she played a no PG lineup for most of the season.

Sometime this summer I imagine she realized that was not going to change and Melious coming next year would close the door completely.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I was disappointed in Bulane's play last after having high expectations based on her play early in the season. Apparently Nell felt the same, as Bulane had her minutes greatly diminished. Nell thought so little of her PG fit that she played a no PG lineup for most of the season.

Sometime this summer I imagine she realized that was not going to change and Melious coming next year would close the door completely.
The assumption by everyone is it has to do with playing time but, in fact, it could be a number of other reasons like being homesick, school not a good fit, etc. Does anyone know she is on the transfer portal? Also, isn't Melious a 2 guard? All that being said, I agree that her play as the year went on regressed.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There isn’t a portal for the public to follow, that I know of. Here is the most reliable source: https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketball-transfer-news-august-2022/

Nicole is a 2G. Not sure if she will grow in height beyond 5’8”?
This is my assumption and may be off base.

I believe Nell told Bulane she was falling behind relative other players and PT this year could very likely be similar to the second half of last year. She has a scholarship and Nell probably told her to make a decision this year. I expect Toni Morgan to get a lot of PG minutes this year. With Nicole coming in next year the minutes simply disappear.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Back in February Collins gave a verbal to the dwags. I assume she recommitted. Any idea why? Coaching change?
It was during the coaching change on March 23. She has a 3.95 gpa currently at Brookwood HS in Lilburn. She’s a true PG, and in ‘23-‘24 we only have Morgan.
If the Jackets can get her commitment in September, it would go a long way in securing a couple of Sweden’s good ones in Trygger(6’6” F)& Costa(6’5” BF).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It was during the coaching change on March 23. She has a 3.95 gpa currently at Brookwood HS in Lilburn. She’s a true PG, and in ‘23-‘24 we only have Morgan.
If the Jackets can get her commitment in September, it would go a long way in securing a couple of Sweden’s good ones in Trygger(6’6” F)& Costa(6’5” BF).
While traveling in Newfoundland my access to recruiting info has been limited greatly. Can you share more on the two Swedes?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
While traveling in Newfoundland my access to recruiting info has been limited greatly. Can you share more on the two Swedes?
Tilda Trygger has offers from UCLA, Mich. St., Colorado. Tremendous shooter w/ size.
Lourdes DeSilva-Costa: Ole Missy., UVa., Oh. St., Colorado, Arizona; all have offered. A true big.

Coach Blanche, chief recruiter on both. Tech getting in on them, a little late.

It‘s like my buddy said, if she is a post player on the G.T. campus- “Her homeland is Spain.” Lol. IE: Hermosa, Aranaz and Termis-Casas.

Gtbb99

Georgia Tech Fan
The assumption by everyone is it has to do with playing time but, in fact, it could be a number of other reasons like being homesick, school not a good fit, etc. Does anyone know she is on the transfer portal? Also, isn't Melious a 2 guard? All that being said, I agree that her play as the year went on regressed.
Melious is a pg, averaged 7.5 apg in hs. Shes def in the curry mode but het court vison better then anything we have now. Boswell is a 2g . While melious is a super elite shooter, shes a pg. saw her play in atl in may.