#GTvsMIA Postgame

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
i somewhat disagree. I thought in the second half, our D line showed up and took away their run game a bit. It seemed like we were getting push and penetration. In the first half it seemed like they were always getting 5 yards on first down. We always talk about halftime adjustments (or lack thereof). I felt like we were a different team defensively after halftime. Thier DL won the battle against our O line granted. I thought BG man handles us more than Miami did tbh.
In a way she is right. Miami had all the stats in their favor: total yards, rushing yards, passing yards, time of possession, etc. However, the Tech team showed grit, determination, and character. Three qualities that have been absent from Miami teams for a long time that largely negate their advantages in recruiting. Four turnovers and 80 plus yards in penalties will get a lot of teams a whole lot better than the U beat. Tech players have been shown an object lesson in playing together as a team and not paying attention to the experts, the bookies, and even their own doubting fan base.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The catch by Malik to setup for Leary's touchdown was one helluva catch. Haynes threw that in the nick of time too as it looked like a defender made contact with his arm while he was following through.

Also, Christian's route on the touchdown was improvised right? It looked like Haynes was getting ready to sprint for the sidelines when he made that nice throw on the run.
I would like others more knowledgeable and with a better view to comment. To me, it looked as though he was running a post corner route but did improvise a bit with a Miami defender on the inside and another on the outside it would seem as though Christian split the difference and created separation by doing so.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing I thought about when doing my post-game really hungover jog this morning was Key’s clock management late game…

I haven’t been exactly a bag of compliments but holding those timeouts until later in the drive was genius. I recall the announcers wondering why he wasn’t burning them earlier in the drive. Miami was consistently snapping the ball with > a few sec left on the playclock and getting 4-5 yards per carry.

I believe if the timeouts were taken earlier in the drive, the fumble play likely wouldn’t have happened - the game would have been over before that play.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I would like others more knowledgeable and with a better view to comment. To me, it looked as though he was running a post corner route but did improvise a bit with a Miami defender on the inside and another on the outside it would seem as though Christian split the difference and created separation by doing so.
It was a scramble drill. He turned around when he saw King flushed. Great heads up play, and what a dime on the run

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yet no one remembers who had more total yards or who was manhandled just the final result. Also I still fail to understand Georgia Tech fans logic. If we had 4 turnovers it is the fact we have no talent and were out coached but when we create 4 turnovers it’s because the other team handed us a win?
It is for two reasons that I can see: Tech players and coaches wanted it more and it is another example of Miami being Miami. You want to see real talent squandered every which way imaginable? You came to the right place.

Techastrophe

Jolly Good Fellow
Apologies if someone already mentioned this but ST was a big factor in keeping us in it. One weird kickoff aside. Shanahan especially. Miami had zero punt return yards. It would have been nice if the coverage had been able to keep one or two from rolling into the endzone but overall pretty solid.
Screenshot_20231008-132725.png

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Apologies if someone already mentioned this but ST was a big factor in keeping us in it. One weird kickoff aside. Shanahan especially. Miami had zero punt return yards. It would have been nice if the coverage had been able to keep one or two from rolling into the endzone but overall pretty solid.
View attachment 14874
Special teams were special. Put another way, they were so consistent that you hardly noticed them.

I remember under TFG holding my breath on every special teams play.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 14874
Yes. This was the kind of game Bobby Dodd loved and usually won. That we won despite such terrible field position was largely due to our special teams.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Something I saw, but it looked like there was more intensity with the tackling. The players seemed to be truly *fighting* to bring the carriers down. Honestly, that alone may have ended up being the difference. We were consistently giving up yards, but keeping it reasonable. Miami QB kept getting impatient.

I think the defense still needs a lot of work, but it looked like they played with more fire and intensity.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
His error was kicking it out of bounds. Stops the clock.
The clock does not start on a kick until someone trying to field the ball touches the ball. The ball really needed to stay inbounds. Frankly I prefer a kick out of the endzone and force them to make a 75 yard play.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Something I saw, but it looked like there was more intensity with the tackling. The players seemed to be truly *fighting* to bring the carriers down. Honestly, that alone may have ended up being the difference. We were consistently giving up yards, but keeping it reasonable. Miami QB kept getting impatient.

I think the defense still needs a lot of work, but it looked like they played with more fire and intensity.
I thought we should have been bringing more pressure, but dropping back and defending did the trick. And the tackling was like night and day compared to last week.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Special teams were special. Put another way, they were so consistent that you hardly noticed them.

I remember under TFG holding my breath on every special teams play.

I keep saying that I hope our special teams is boring. Boring means we aren't losing our minds and holding our breaths on special teams plays because they execute to expectations and GT fans can move on to the next play. I'll gladly give up a big GT return on punt/kickoffs in return for preventing them when it's the other team and GT making field goals regularly.