#GTvsMIA Postgame

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
First, congratulations to the Jackets for a great victory! Both the coaches and the players showed real guts last night and deserve generous praise for their efforts. I was very encouraged by improvements on D and by how, as da U's D wore down, our O ran and passed the ball so well under miserable field conditions. Now on to impressions:

The Incomprehensible
• There were 48 seconds left in the game. Tech had no time outs left. Miami had a 3 point lead. And, for reasons known only to him and God, Christobal decides not to get in victory and take a knee three times. Instead, he lets a team that had already turned the ball over 3 times on a wet field with the rain still coming down risk handing the ball off in the center of the D where every Tech player was trying to rip to out. And sure enough that is exactly what happened and two great football plays later, Tech wins the game! Absolutely incomprehensible.

The Good (and there's a lot of it)
• Sheer old fashion GUTS. That game showed that this team has them. Full Stop. In the fourth quarter, with both Ds fagged out from the field conditions and being on on it, it was Tach's D that stood up and Tech's O that won the game when given a chance. That, sports fans, will DO!
• The D was again making me have a "Who are these guys?" moment. Good tacking in the open field, solid LB play, 3 picks by the DBs, only a couple of coverage slips (about what you expect; everybody has them), and, in the fourth quarter, a brick wall for Miami RBs to run into. I would not have thought that a change in DC would have made such a difference. Shows what I know.
• The O stood up as well. That drive to answer Miami's TD in the third quarter showed everybody that htis was going to be a FOOTBALL GAME! Then in the fourth, when they started to open holes for the RBs and gave King a pocket, the Tech OL delivered the game.
• Three cheers for King too. Hasselbach kept saying that King needed to step up into the pocket and be ready to run or throw. And in the second half he did just that. And he began to look like a QB who was ready to run. That TD of his was something I hope he feeds off os. Also the drive that ended the game was a thing of beauty that will live forever (well … at least for this season).
• The WRs performed extremely well. It is enough to say that they were every bit as good as Miami's. And that is praise indeed; da U's WRs are really good. Btw, Leary getting behind them so that when he caught the ball there was nobody within 8 yards of him was terrific!
• In my impressions last week I inferred that Haynes could not run with authority. After watching him drag two Miami defenders across the goal line last night, I corrected that opinion. One of the best runs of the year, that.
• As I said in another thread, the special teams kept us in the game. We were pinned in our own end for most of the game and our punter saved our bacon time and again by putting Miami in the same boat. The FG and KO units really delivered as well.

The Bad
Oh, to <the nether region> with it! There's no reason to gripe about a victory on the road against a nationally ranked team!

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Wandered by the Miami boards at SB Nation.
Good to see them helping each other out, talking care of the wounded. :oops:

Soccer Fail GIF

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
First, congratulations to the Jackets for a great victory! Both the coaches and the players showed real guts last night and deserve generous praise for their efforts. I was very encouraged by improvements on D and by how, as da U's D wore down, our O ran and passed the ball so well under miserable field conditions. Now on to impressions:

The Incomprehensible
• There were 48 seconds left in the game. Tech had no time outs left. Miami had a 3 point lead. And, for reasons known only to him and God, Christobal decides not to get in victory and take a knee three times. Instead, he lets a team that had already turned the ball over 3 times on a wet field with the rain still coming down risk handing the ball off in the center of the D where every Tech player was trying to rip to out. And sure enough that is exactly what happened and two great football plays later, Tech wins the game! Absolutely incomprehensible.

The Good (and there's a lot of it)
• Sheer old fashion GUTS. That game showed that this team has them. Full Stop. In the fourth quarter, with both Ds fagged out from the field conditions and being on on it, it was Tach's D that stood up and Tech's O that won the game when given a chance. That, sports fans, will DO!
• The D was again making me have a "Who are these guys?" moment. Good tacking in the open field, solid LB play, 3 picks by the DBs, only a couple of coverage slips (about what you expect; everybody has them), and, in the fourth quarter, a brick wall for Miami RBs to run into. I would not have thought that a change in DC would have made such a difference. Shows what I know.
• The O stood up as well. That drive to answer Miami's TD in the third quarter showed everybody that htis was going to be a FOOTBALL GAME! Then in the fourth, when they started to open holes for the RBs and gave King a pocket, the Tech OL delivered the game.
• Three cheers for King too. Hasselbach kept saying that King needed to step up into the pocket and be ready to run or throw. And in the second half he did just that. And he began to look like a QB who was ready to run. That TD of his was something I hope he feeds off os. Also the drive that ended the game was a thing of beauty that will live forever (well … at least for this season).
• The WRs performed extremely well. It is enough to say that they were every bit as good as Miami's. And that is praise indeed; da U's WRs are really good. Btw, Leary getting behind them so that when he caught the ball there was nobody within 8 yards of him was terrific!
• In my impressions last week I inferred that Haynes could not run with authority. After watching him drag two Miami defenders across the goal line last night, I corrected that opinion. One of the best runs of the year, that.
• As I said in another thread, the special teams kept us in the game. We were pinned in our own end for most of the game and our punter saved our bacon time and again by putting Miami in the same boat. The FG and KO units really delivered as well.

The Bad
Oh, to <the nether region> with it! There's no reason to gripe about a victory on the road against a nationally ranked team!
I still do not know how Haynes did that. He had two defenders of good size draped on him a good four yards from the end zone dragging him down. Usually a runner as small as Haynes has his legs give out with that much weight pulling them down but he somehow carried them even with one body partially in front of him. I’m going to have to go back and watch that in slow motion. It defied the laws of physics.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you want to know how big the defense played last night, check out the Miami offensive numbers going into the game:

Miami OFEI - #29
Points per play - #4
Net Points per drive - #9
Net Yards per play - #6
Total QBR/Van Dyke - #1 ACC, #2 Overall in CFB
Total Offense - #7
Scoring Offense - #13

GT defense gave up a lot of yardage (452 total yards), but we had timely turnovers, and the defense held tight when it mattered. Given what happened last week (atrocious defending against Bowling Green and demotion of our DC), that was one heck of performance by the defense against one of the best offenses and QBs in the CFB.

slugboy

Staff member
I cannot believe that there is more to post, yet…

GT evened the all-time series record vs Miami with the victory last night

IMG_0335.jpeg

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, felt bad for this UM player when I saw it last night. Bad lip reading, looks like he's saying "What the eff are we doing?!" These kids have to run the plays that are called, but if you've ever played sports, sometimes you disagree with what the coach wants you to do. This is why I also love college sports. The passion for the game is just different on the college level versus the NFL.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
I was drunk as *** so no posting yesterday but that was satisfying. Got a W we shouldn’t have (which led to lots of rounds of shots since I ended up at a bar since apparently my network doesn’t like the ACCN), but the team played well on all sides of the ball.

They kept themselves in the game till the end, and coach believed in a win through the end taking TOs even though they were not really necessary.

And then to actually convert the TD was something we haven’t seen in a long WHILE.

Great job by this team and amazing way to respond to what was a very obvious egg last week.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, felt bad for this UM player when I saw it last night. Bad lip reading, looks like he's saying "What the eff are we doing?!" These kids have to run the plays that are called, but if you've ever played sports, sometimes you disagree with what the coach wants you to do. This is why I also love college sports. The passion for the game is just different on the college level versus the NFL.

I’m pretty sure NFL players would be even more pissed if their coach did something like that.

To the point that no NFL coach has ever tried BS like this in over 50 years, but Cristobal alone has remained hired despite ****ing up doing this twice in his career.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I would like a generous helping of salt with the crow I am about to eat with my wife ridiculing my lack of faith in the Jackets. I was going to share what the Miami fans said on Canesinsight but there were so many expletives that it was reduced to unintelligible gibberish. Suffice to say, they are a trifle upset with Mario. A couple of them claim that the fumble was not a fumble that the runner's arm was down. Anyone care to comment on that.
His arm (elbow) was down right at the time the ball was being ripped out. It was a close call that would have gone the other way if it had been ruled differently in real time.. It took indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field. "indisputable" did not exist.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure I understand. It wouldn’t have been a safety but a 2 pt conversion by the defense. We still would have had a one point lead kicking off and they still would have had one play. Kind of didn’t matter either way since there was virtually no chance they could kick a field goal, but I guess they may have someone on their team that knows how to drop kick?
I think, if field position gave them the opportunity l, it would open the door for a post-penalty untimed down with a potential field goal for Miamj

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
We put ourselves in the position to win if something good happened by playing as hard as we could in all three phases.

On defense the first thing I noted was the play of our secondary, which was supposed to be a strength this year. This was the first game I thought they played up to their potential, garnering three picks. Miami hit some shots on us when we tightened up to stop the run. I don't really mind that because containing Miami's ground game was more important. I thought the unit played with a lot of energy and generally got hats to the football. They also tackled. It was fun seeing Horace Lockett show some ridiculous quicks and body control for a man his size and body slame a Miami RB. A lot of potential there. Moala was active/productive. Nice to see depth on the front 7 rotate in and hold up in the 4th quarter.

Tough day on offense, but the guys kept giving effort and giving effort. Eventually it paid off. First we mounted a nice 3rd quarter TD drive. During that drive Haynes King was effective running the ball on multiple plays. After Harvey's INT set us up with good field position, we suddenly busted Haynes up the middle on a well-executed read option. I will have to go back and look at the play again, but I thought the success King had on our prior drive running had the Miami defense thinking instead of playing assignment football. D seemed to flow towards King on that play. Terrific job by Leary in the scramble drill, resulting in a transfer-to-transfer TD hook up to win the game. Miami DL was a big challenge for our OL. In the end they did enough so our guys cold make the plays to win the game.

Special teams was solid. Wait, did I really just type that? Good coverage and net yards on punts, kick offs were effective. FG was fairly solid. There was one kick where Miami got some bodies back there but Birr gets the ball up quickly and it saved us on that.

Were we lucky? Sure. But at least for this game we just kept hanging around and hanging around. And when the opportunity came we capitalized and managed to steal a win against a good football team on the road. After a dispiriting effort against BG the week before I thought the coaches and team responded well. Hopefully we don't think we are a good football team and prepare with equal urgency against BC, because if we don't we are going to get beat.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s exactly what the knee was preventing. I’m not sure why people aren’t getting that.
But the odds of the PAT going the other way are crazy low, and if you have a four point lead a FG doesn’t matter, so they’d only have a Hail Mary attempt.

Unless you’re trying to put them in a position where best case they’re kicking to send it to OT instead of passing to try to win, but at that point you’re getting really ahead of yourself…