#GTvsMIA Postgame

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone else watch the post game interviews with the ACC Huddle? There was mention of last Wednesdays practice from Key and King and Leary had a 'oh yeah" reaction. Anyone know what went down in practice. I figure must have been some full speed one on one stuff. With losers doing some extra 'work'.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Did anyone else watch the post game interviews with the ACC Huddle? There was mention of last Wednesdays practice from Key and King and Leary had a 'oh yeah" reaction. Anyone know what went down in practice. I figure must have been some full speed one on one stuff. With losers doing some extra 'work'.
Tackling drills. Key said a "brotherl love day" tic

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely not where we want to be, but it’s amazing that we are finding ways to win anyway. If we weren’t seeing positive changes all over the place, it could easily be dismissed as luck / smoke and mirrors….

I disagree with Key that we are a “good” football team right now, but we are doing a lot of good things…. and most importantly to me, the good things we are doing are the hardest ones to “teach.”

Its almost shocking that a team that’s been where we have been as recently as last year (heck, even last week for that matter) won a football game in that fashion Saturday night. Sure, Miami didn’t have to run a play, but we didn’t have to rip at a football. We didn’t have to hustle to cover a fumble. We didn’t have to be ready to make plays to get in scoring position… much less 74 yards in 4 plays, and we sure as heck didn’t have to execute a perfect scramble drill to win it outright in regulation. Miami’s “utter collapse” would not have been possible without some hard- nosed heroics from the men in white and gold!
Bingo. Tech has been gifted many times over the years by different teams and we still didn’t have the gumption to make them pay. In 2014 when I still commented regularly on From The Rumble Seat, I went against the prevailing mood by saying that Tech’s last minute win over Ga Southern was a good thing. Southern had every incentive to hang on to their victory and we had every incentive to roll over and give up. But we fought to the end. I said at the time, “This team has gumption and will go far.”

I hope we see next week that this team has developed gumption. We are not that talented so it is absolutely necessary that we play every game with attitude.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
In the presser after the game, CBK said the defense ran a corner blitz which was the perfect call against the play we were trying to run. Maybe they did yhat knowing the play we were running or they got lucky, but the result was the same.
In his podcast, KQ cited this as well as a missed block. We probably had no chance even without the missed block.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It you watch it in slow motion, the TE totally missed his block. That guy got into the backfield and hit the leading RB into the QB. If the TE pushed that guy into the middle, there was one DB in the corner, and the RB would have been leading. It ended up looking horrible because that one missed block slowed the play down and allowed the rest of the DL to get into the backfield. Point being, it was one missed block away from quite probably being a touchdown.
Somehow I didn't see your comment when I replied to @leatherneckjacket about the missed block.

TE blocking is something we definitely need to continue working on.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I am not sure I trust pff until the whole seasons over with. And when it comes to running backs they often grade things off. Sometimes grading scrape blocks as misses.
Okay, let me put it another way. He’s had 16 pass blocking snaps through six games. That’s less than three snaps per game for what you’re referring to as his strength. That’s not enough volume to warrant how poor of a runner he’s been since the Louisville game, and that’s assuming pass blocking is his strength (which I disagree on anyways).

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Sports are so crazy. I think if you had polled 1000 people who at least knew GT had a football team (not GT fans) about these last two games then 999 of them would have said we go 1-1, beating BGSU and losing to Miami. We do go 1-1 but in crazy fashion according to what outsiders, along with myself, would have predicted. And these two games are why you actually have to play the games.

Now if you asked 1000 GT fans I think a fairly decent chunk would have said we go 1-1 losing to BGSU and beating Miami just because that's the most GT football thing to do :LOL:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Mario Cristóbal takes ownership for the call

Two days after making the call, but he now willingly owns it
With Miami athletic director Dan Radakovich making a rare appearance at a football press conference Monday

I forgot that is where DRad ended up.

Offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson said he called for the handoff, but didn’t elaborate as to what was said on the headsets before the play was called. Dawson said he didn’t sleep Saturday night and called it “as hard of a loss as I’ve had in my career.”

“What we did at the end was the wrong decision,” Dawson said. “I called it, it is what it is. I wish we would have done something different but we didn’t. So gotta live with it. It was the wrong thing to do.”
not every hero wears capes.

Even after Georgia Tech recovered the fumble, the Yellow Jackets had only 26 seconds and 74 yards to go to win the game. Miami defensive coordinator Lance Guidry said he called for regular coverage out of the team’s base defense to try and prevent the Yellow Jackets from getting into field goal range
“I knew that they needed a field goal to tie and the touchdown to win so you can’t get too soft,” Guidry said. “I really wanted to pressure (King) because I thought they had two plays left. If he throws an out route or anything like that, they can kick the field goal. It’s all on me. My job as a defensive coordinator is to get a stop at the end. That’s what I’m hired to do. I’ve talked to the players and told them the same thing. It’s not on them. It’s on me.”.
If they think playing normal coverage to try to prevent a FG attempt was the right call, they didn't really have a scouting report of our kicking game. Considering we were on the 44 yard line with 10 seconds left, if we get 10-15 yards, we are still kicking 46+. All of the coaches should be fired.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

If they think playing normal coverage to try to prevent a FG attempt was the right call, they didn't really have a scouting report of our kicking game. Considering we were on the 44 yard line with 10 seconds left, if we get 10-15 yards, we are still kicking 46+. All of the coaches should be fired.

@dtm1997 could probably provide a comment for DRad. 👀

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

Actually, keep them all. For as long as they wish please keep them.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we made some excellent halftime adjustments to our OL blocking schemes. I think we were much better protecting the QB and providing holes for the RBs in the 2nd half. We still weren't where anyone would want, but I think that was why we saw success in the 2nd half.

For those scratching their head about the Pyron play, that play was blown up so fast that it was almost like they knew what was going to happen when he lined up as QB. There was ZERO chance that play was ever going to be successful the way their DL basically got to the QB the same time the ball did.

There was ZERO chance that a team with the ball, 36 seconds to go, and the other guys had no timeouts would not take a knee.

Never say NEVER.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
All of the coaches should be fired.
Nobody lost life or limb. The calling for heads to roll every time a mistake or poor decision is made is a very disturbing trend imo. And yes, I am aware of how much money they make. we don't know that they will rebound from our loss in the same way we did with our egregious loss the prior weekend.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Nobody lost life or limb. The calling for heads to roll every time a mistake or poor decision is made is a very disturbing trend imo. And yes, I am aware of how much money they make. we don't know that they will rebound from our loss in the same way we did with our egregious loss the prior weekend.
I disagree to an extent. I agree that leadership should not be excessively reactive, but there are actions that so egregious that warrant firing. Both in sports and in corporate world. This is certainly an event that would warrant some consideration for action by leadership.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck

I find it interesting that the only play they don't use their own footage is the fumble. Wonder what their angle showed 🤔🤣

Edited to add that I just think it's funny. I agree with the replay officials that there wasn't indisputable evidence regardless of whether it was an actual fumble or not. Therefore, the refs managed it properly on the field. It could be as simple as they didn't have a good shot of it at all from where they were but I do wonder if they caught something contrary to the call.

Last edited:

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm an old GT '50s Dodd years guy and this game had some feel to it of some of the Dodd wins. The opponents would be bigger, maybe faster, tougher than we were and they would out statistic us but we would somehow win the game, there were many wins of that nature during his time as coach. Maybe there are some of you that were around during that time that would comment if you saw it that way.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I disagree to an extent. I agree that leadership should not be excessively reactive, but there are actions that so egregious that warrant firing. Both in sports and in corporate world. This is certainly an event that would warrant some consideration for action by leadership.
I guess it would depend on a couple of things like whether you think everything else is going well and it’s something simple that the coach can do better. If you believe it’ll never get better and there are other flaws as well then perhaps action is warranted.