#GTvsMIA Postgame

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Posted for the comments. Here are a few of them:

As an FSU alum who has seen his fair share of dog fights with the Yellow Jackets, I can confirm Georgia Tech is the damn devil.

What I will say is that was a very impressive win for the Jackets. The kind of win that can propel their program back to the national radar. I’m old enough to remember when the Jackets were great at football. Big win and congrats to big GT!

That's grit from GT! Miami should've packed it better... kudos to the winners. What an ending!

GT is like the Washington of college football. Loves to upset really good teams

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm an old GT '50s Dodd years guy and this game had some feel to it of some of the Dodd wins. The opponents would be bigger, maybe faster, tougher than we were and they would out statistic us but we would somehow win the game, there were many wins of that nature during his time as coach. Maybe there are some of you that were around during that time that would comment if you saw it that way.

I definitely saw it the same way during my 4 years at Tech(1962-1966}. Coach Dood would also use the quick kick occasionally on third down to gain better field position.

My one close encounter with Coach Dodd was in the Winter of 1962 after a 3 to 6 Mechanical Drawing class. I was walking down the Hill after dark, and Coach Dood was leaving the old athletic office. We only spoke to each other, but I believe I may have sensed a little sympathy from Coach as I made my way back to Glenn Dorm with my metal cased drawing kit and 2 or 3 books. The sympathy may have been my imagination plus it's been 61 years ago. I always tell my Wife that Coach Dodd and I graduated the same year and Football went downhill from there. LOL.

I think everyone will enjoy the attached page from Bill Curry's Book describing Coach Dodd's pre-game speech before a Georgia Game.

Attachments

• Bill Curry on Bobby Dodd.pdf
    487.8 KB · Views: 60

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We got the win, but I really hope our coaches are telling our players to finish the play and not get cute. This could have been really costly for us. Almost gives me the "Hey, let's try to time dropping the ball as I cross the goal line to look cool" vibe...except the player drops it before he crosses the goal line and the other team recovers. How many times have we seen that happen over the years. I don't know the exact rule on this play, but it's safer to just not leave it up to interpretation.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
We got the win, but I really hope our coaches are telling our players to finish the play and not get cute. This could have been really costly for us. Almost gives me the "Hey, let's try to time dropping the ball as I cross the goal line to look cool" vibe...except the player drops it before he crosses the goal line and the other team recovers. How many times have we seen that happen over the years. I don't know the exact rule on this play, but it's safer to just not leave it up to interpretation.

Are we sure it was a deliberate slide and not just a slip on the wet turf? Does that make a difference since it's a running back and not a QB? I honestly don't know how that works, but it seems like if it's an accidental slip, his knee or elbow would need to be down before the ball crosses the plane.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Are we sure it was a deliberate slide and not just a slip on the wet turf? Does that make a difference since it's a running back and not a QB? I honestly don't know how that works, but it seems like if it's an accidental slip, his knee or elbow would need to be down before the ball crosses the plane.
Yea, he's obviously not giving himself up to avoid contact, not sure the slide rule applies.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen the clip of our final drive a few times, but the last time I watched it, I paused the second pass (completion to Rutherford) to see how close it was to being tipped by the defending DB. It was very close but the video was too blurry to see detail of the ball’s flight. Anyway, when I did this I realized I could slo-mo the video forward or back and see the entire play unfold. I then realized that this play was as much of a miracle, if not more, than the touchdown to Leary.

We had five linemen plus our RB blocking four rushers for Miami. The outside rushers get pushed past the pocket and Haynes steps up, just as you would want. But the other two rushers almost get home. One takes a swipe at Haynes’ arm just as he is releasing the throw. It must have missed by a hair. It appears that Haynes gets the pass off while a little off-balance when stepping a bit to his left to avoid the rusher. Incredible throw under pressure.

Even more craziness is that the two Miami rushers in the middle do some sort of twist or stunt and confuse our linemen a bit. #65 keeps his man in front but eventually gets stood up and pushed back toward Haynes. #67 blocks air for a while then blocks our own #72 (!) who had turned completely around after having lost contact with his rusher when the rusher changed direction. #67 may have been attempting to stop #72 from pushing anyone toward Haynes – it's hard to know, but it looks almost comical. Meanwhile, the rusher that moved away from #72 has circled around and tries to get to Haynes from the other side. Only our RB stands in his way – who makes a feeble attempt to block (maybe intended to just chip him) but appears to whiff completely then runs out a few yards to his check-down position.

All this is a long-winded way to say that it was a miracle Haynes got the pass off at all.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

To me, it looked like he took it upon himself to slide across the goal line...of course, I wasn't the one carrying the ball and running towards the endzone, and I don't know what was going through his mind for intent.

My point was, if it was intentional, he doesn't need to risk it. I found from a quick search about the NCAA slide rule, which was changed after the infamous Kenny Pickett fake slide in the ACC Championship:

"Any time a ball carrier begins, simulates, or fakes a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead by the on-field officials at that point," the memo states. "The intent of the rule is player safety, and the objective is to give a ball carrier an option to end the play by sliding feet first and to avoid contact. To allow the ball carrier to fake a slide would compromise the defense that is being instructed to let up when the ball carrier slides feet first."

So had the ref viewed the slide by the rule above, Leary could have been ruled down at the spot where he began the slide...which would have been before he crossed the goal line. Obviously, it was subject to the ref's POV, so it's always better to not leave it up to interpretation.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Any time a ball carrier begins, simulates, or fakes a feet-first slide

stopped reading right there. It wasn’t a feet first slide and he wasn’t giving himself up to contact. As much crap as I give ACC refs, at least they know the sliding rules.

And man it’s Tuesday and they are still majorly butthurt. I love it, could only be better from one other fanbase
To me, it looked like he took it upon himself to slide across the goal line...of course, I wasn't the one carrying the ball and running towards the endzone, and I don't know what was going through his mind for intent.

My point was, if it was intentional, he doesn't need to risk it. I found from a quick search about the NCAA slide rule, which was changed after the infamous Kenny Pickett fake slide in the ACC Championship:

"Any time a ball carrier begins, simulates, or fakes a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead by the on-field officials at that point," the memo states. "The intent of the rule is player safety, and the objective is to give a ball carrier an option to end the play by sliding feet first and to avoid contact. To allow the ball carrier to fake a slide would compromise the defense that is being instructed to let up when the ball carrier slides feet first."

So had the ref viewed the slide by the rule above, Leary could have been ruled down at the spot where he began the slide...which would have been before he crossed the goal line. Obviously, it was subject to the ref's POV, so it's always better to not leave it up to interpretation.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

stopped reading right there. It wasn’t a feet first slide and he wasn’t giving himself up to contact. As much crap as I give ACC refs, at least they know the sliding rules.

And man it’s Tuesday and they are still majorly butthurt. I love it, could only be better from one other fanbase
Yeah at the instant the photo in question was taken, he was not in a feet-first slide. Look closely at his left foot - it appears to have caught the turf, thus causing him to his balance. At that moment his body and the ball are forward of his feet.
Miami fans are going to be dragging up stuff like this forever to avoid holding their coach and team accountable for the loss.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I get it, my point is let's not leave it up to interpretation. What if the ref did rule Leary gave himself up? That would have been devastating given what happened to get us there.

No need to let the refs decide. GT usually gets the short end of it.

BTW, what were they reviewing on that play? I had the volume off so I didn't get to hear the announcers.

Even some of our own fans (and an ex player) were thinking the same thing...

Last edited:

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Here we are analyzing a still photo just like the Miami fans saying that the ball is not moving in their still photo…:D
Is very hard to determine when he begins the act of sliding although this photo looks bad.
I also found the “memo“ that was posted above, but I have not seen the verbiage of the actual rule. It would seem that the rule begins with “ANYTIME…” which would suggest Leary was down where the slide initiated.
It’s true that it was not a distinctly feet first slide, but I don’t believe that matters. if he had slid exactly that way with a defender in the area, he would have been protected by the rule.
The call in this instance came down to the judgment of the official as to where the slide started, or (what I think is more likely) the fact that the memo above clarifies, the intent of the rule is to avoid contact. Since there was no contact to avoid, the slide rule is not applicable. Of course, that would seem contradictory to the verbiage of “any time…“
Regardless, All of this boils down to yet another lesson in “finish the play /play to the whistle“ and “don’t leave it up to the official.“

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Here we are analyzing a still photo just like the Miami fans saying that the ball is not moving in their still photo…:D
Is very hard to determine when he begins the act of sliding although this photo looks bad.
I also found the “memo“ that was posted above, but I have not seen the verbiage of the actual rule. It would seem that the rule begins with “ANYTIME…” which would suggest Leary was down where the slide initiated.
It’s true that it was not a distinctly feet first slide, but I don’t believe that matters. if he had slid exactly that way with a defender in the area, he would have been protected by the rule.
The call in this instance came down to the judgment of the official as to where the slide started, or (what I think is more likely) the fact that the memo above clarifies, the intent of the rule is to avoid contact. Since there was no contact to avoid, the slide rule is not applicable. Of course, that would seem contradictory to the verbiage of “any time…“
Regardless, All of this boils down to yet another lesson in “finish the play /play to the whistle“ and “don’t leave it up to the official.“
From the NCAA football rule book (2023 edition)
r. When a ball carrier obviously begins a feet-first slide. Any time a ball carrier simulates or fakes a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead by the on-field officials at that point. (A.R. 4-1-3-III and IV)
In the photo posted above, his feet are not leading his body, so it is not a "feet-first" slide. If you dive and slide forward, it is marked where you hit the ground. The memo posted above says that the intent of the rule is to give the runner an opportunity to avoid contact, but to place the ball where he initiates the FEET-FIRST slide. Miami fans are going crazy in an attempt to not blame their coach who made a decision that middle school coaches don't make, and lost the game because of it.

I have not heard an official explanation of what the review was about, but I suspect they were looking at the position of the ball when his knee hit the ground. In the photo above his knee is on the way down about a half yard behind the goal line. The ball is about another half yard behind his knee. I highly suspect they were looking for an angle that showed whether the ball had crossed the goal line before his knee or chin hit the ground. It looks much much closer in that photo than where I thought it would have been watching it live.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Here is the video that still frame came from. It looks to me as though he lost his balance and was struggling to remain standing after catching the ball. From this video, I think he fell into the end zone instead of intentionally sliding into the end zone.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought the same, not a slide but his momentum from catching and turning on the wet turf.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of whether it was intentional or not intentional, the language of the rule is VERY intentional. Multiple times it references "feet first slide," which this clearly is not. His feet never get in front of his body, even when he slides. He's sliding on his left side, not feet-first like a baseball slide where he's leaning backward. Someone needs to X at this guy that he needs to read and understand the rules before looking so foolish.

1697037789363.png