#GTvsMIA Postgame

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like others more knowledgeable and with a better view to comment. To me, it looked as though he was running a post corner route but did improvise a bit with a Miami defender on the inside and another on the outside it would seem as though Christian split the difference and created separation by doing so.
Leary's route was a drag or in route initially. As the play broke down and Haynes King rolled to his right, Leary saw that the safety began to close in on the QB, so he ran away from coverage. Good adjustment by Leary, good scramble by King, good outcome for Tech!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Had to play conservative due to skill of miami d . Then , at the very end, whdn conservative wouldnt work - we opened up
I think we made some excellent halftime adjustments to our OL blocking schemes. I think we were much better protecting the QB and providing holes for the RBs in the 2nd half. We still weren't where anyone would want, but I think that was why we saw success in the 2nd half.

For those scratching their head about the Pyron play, that play was blown up so fast that it was almost like they knew what was going to happen when he lined up as QB. There was ZERO chance that play was ever going to be successful the way their DL basically got to the QB the same time the ball did.

slugboy

Staff member
I think we made some excellent halftime adjustments to our OL blocking schemes. I think we were much better protecting the QB and providing holes for the RBs in the 2nd half. We still weren't where anyone would want, but I think that was why we saw success in the 2nd half.

For those scratching their head about the Pyron play, that play was blown up so fast that it was almost like they knew what was going to happen when he lined up as QB. There was ZERO chance that play was ever going to be successful the way their DL basically got to the QB the same time the ball did.
He had two receivers wide open in or near the end zone, though

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It you watch it in slow motion, the TE totally missed his block. That guy got into the backfield and hit the leading RB into the QB. If the TE pushed that guy into the middle, there was one DB in the corner, and the RB would have been leading. It ended up looking horrible because that one missed block slowed the play down and allowed the rest of the DL to get into the backfield. Point being, it was one missed block away from quite probably being a touchdown.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

In the presser after the game, CBK said the defense ran a corner blitz which was the perfect call against the play we were trying to run. Maybe they did yhat knowing the play we were running or they got lucky, but the result was the same.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
First, congratulations to the Jackets for a great victory! Both the coaches and the players showed real guts last night and deserve generous praise for their efforts. I was very encouraged by improvements on D and by how, as da U's D wore down, our O ran and passed the ball so well under miserable field conditions. Now on to impressions:

The Incomprehensible
• There were 48 seconds left in the game. Tech had no time outs left. Miami had a 3 point lead. And, for reasons known only to him and God, Christobal decides not to get in victory and take a knee three times. Instead, he lets a team that had already turned the ball over 3 times on a wet field with the rain still coming down risk handing the ball off in the center of the D where every Tech player was trying to rip to out. And sure enough that is exactly what happened and two great football plays later, Tech wins the game! Absolutely incomprehensible.

The Good (and there's a lot of it)
• Sheer old fashion GUTS. That game showed that this team has them. Full Stop. In the fourth quarter, with both Ds fagged out from the field conditions and being on on it, it was Tach's D that stood up and Tech's O that won the game when given a chance. That, sports fans, will DO!
• The D was again making me have a "Who are these guys?" moment. Good tacking in the open field, solid LB play, 3 picks by the DBs, only a couple of coverage slips (about what you expect; everybody has them), and, in the fourth quarter, a brick wall for Miami RBs to run into. I would not have thought that a change in DC would have made such a difference. Shows what I know.
• The O stood up as well. That drive to answer Miami's TD in the third quarter showed everybody that htis was going to be a FOOTBALL GAME! Then in the fourth, when they started to open holes for the RBs and gave King a pocket, the Tech OL delivered the game.
• Three cheers for King too. Hasselbach kept saying that King needed to step up into the pocket and be ready to run or throw. And in the second half he did just that. And he began to look like a QB who was ready to run. That TD of his was something I hope he feeds off os. Also the drive that ended the game was a thing of beauty that will live forever (well … at least for this season).
• The WRs performed extremely well. It is enough to say that they were every bit as good as Miami's. And that is praise indeed; da U's WRs are really good. Btw, Leary getting behind them so that when he caught the ball there was nobody within 8 yards of him was terrific!
• In my impressions last week I inferred that Haynes could not run with authority. After watching him drag two Miami defenders across the goal line last night, I corrected that opinion. One of the best runs of the year, that.
• As I said in another thread, the special teams kept us in the game. We were pinned in our own end for most of the game and our punter saved our bacon time and again by putting Miami in the same boat. The FG and KO units really delivered as well.

The Bad
Oh, to <the nether region> with it! There's no reason to gripe about a victory on the road against a nationally ranked team!
Great post ttp.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
We have been on the far left of that chart for the past three weeks.
Absolutely not where we want to be, but it’s amazing that we are finding ways to win anyway. If we weren’t seeing positive changes all over the place, it could easily be dismissed as luck / smoke and mirrors….

I disagree with Key that we are a “good” football team right now, but we are doing a lot of good things…. and most importantly to me, the good things we are doing are the hardest ones to “teach.”

Its almost shocking that a team that’s been where we have been as recently as last year (heck, even last week for that matter) won a football game in that fashion Saturday night. Sure, Miami didn’t have to run a play, but we didn’t have to rip at a football. We didn’t have to hustle to cover a fumble. We didn’t have to be ready to make plays to get in scoring position… much less 74 yards in 4 plays, and we sure as heck didn’t have to execute a perfect scramble drill to win it outright in regulation. Miami’s “utter collapse” would not have been possible without some hard- nosed heroics from the men in white and gold!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
That is precisely what I was thinking that it was very similar to the "Miracle on Techwood" in 2015 but actually this one was more miraculous. Miami had twice as many yards and nearly double the first downs with a sizable advantage in time of possession but squandered every bit of it with stupid penalties, dumb coaching decisions and five turnovers. Once again, Da U is not back and once again Tech continues its tradition of ruining someone's season in some of the strangest ways imaginable. IIWII
If someone only looked at the stats, it would appear that Miami won. Penalties and key turnovers made up for a lot of the difference. Kept them out of the end zone and kept it close. Our second half was so much better on offense as well. We actually had some success running it in the 2nd half. King made aome good runs and Jamal is one tough kid.

slugboy

Staff member
If someone only looked at the stats, it would appear that Miami won. Penalties and key turnovers made up for a lot of the difference. Kept them out of the end zone and kept it close. Our second half was so much better on offense as well. We actually had some success running it in the 2nd half. King made aome good runs and Jamal is one tough kid.
If someone only looked at the stats, they might try to claw their eyes out

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That is precisely what I was thinking that it was very similar to the "Miracle on Techwood" in 2015 but actually this one was more miraculous. Miami had twice as many yards and nearly double the first downs with a sizable advantage in time of possession but squandered every bit of it with stupid penalties, dumb coaching decisions and five turnovers. Once again, Da U is not back and once again Tech continues its tradition of ruining someone's season in some of the strangest ways imaginable. IIWII
I love the way Tech is always dangerous. It's always been that way, as long as I've been a fan. You never know when they're going to just shock the pants off of somebody, apropos of nothing.
Unfortunately, though, it also works in reverse. Lose to Bowling Green and then beat da U. Typical.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And how about Moala? What a game he had! The strip at the end was the icing on the cake!

I wanted to throw darts at his picture after he said we didn't take Bowling Green seriously. He had a pretty darn good game against Miami...and hopefully that's the performance we see out of him and the rest of the defense for the remainder of the schedule.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I said it in chat too but Miami is ABSOLUTELY the first team I’d pick to lose in the most idiotic stupid self inflicted possible fashion.

Plenty of mistakes by both teams you just can’t make that last one if you can count.

And then AMAZING way to recover from a rough night for Haynes King.
Usually Miami gets a lot of penalties due to no discipline. Late hits, personal fouls, etc are pretty common with that bunch. It keeps the other team in the game.