#GTvsMIA Postgame. Tech falls short 33-30

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We are just horrible. Same song and dance each week with the same results. Looks worse than GT 1992-1994. Need a fresh start including the AD. Would not trust the AD on the next coaching search.
No it doesn't. I lived through those years on campus. No comparison.

We're not horrible, we're young, with not much depth. Today was a bad game all around and we almost won. Sims had an off game (he usually is much better at the intermediate and short passes), and we still almost won.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
No it doesn't. I lived through those years on campus. No comparison.

We're not horrible, we're young, with not much depth. Today was a bad game all around and we almost won. Sims had an off game (he usually is much better at the intermediate and short passes), and we still almost won.
I think if we can scatter some wins amongst those almost wins I think it would be easier to swallow

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some observations:

1. Sims needs to work on his "internal clock". You want your QB relaxed, but he seems a bit *too* relaxed as defenders are coming in hot. There's something to be said for his courage to hold onto the ball as every QB should have the cajones to wait till the last minute to release the ball, but with Sims it seems a bit too nonchalant about the pass rush.

2. Sims's inability to hit easy throws killed our offense against Miami. Almost every single drive I saw, I watched him throw an easy pitch and catch into the dirt or behind a receiver. Not sure what his issue is with intermediate and short passes, but his accuracy is off, and it's killing our drives. He's got amazing physical talent, and a REALLY good arm, but if a QB isn't accurate, it hurts the offense.

3. I thought the defense played OK. Not great, not terrible...but OK. They forced turnovers, and held Miami when we needed them to. This game is on our offense.

4. I get having fun, but man, our players running to spot all by themselves to draw attention to a big play gets old...especially when we're losing. Even worse when they get burned for a big gain on the next play.

5. Keep saying it, but our secondary play is REALLY bad. Combine it with being undisciplined and slow on the backend and you get what we've been getting: BIG passing plays against us, and QBs who look like 1st round draft picks against us.

6. Gibbs is special. We all knew that, but he played one of his better games for us against Miami. Too bad we wasted it.

7. Adonicas Sanders needs to get the ball more.

This game was winnable, but we just don't have it in our DNA to win these close games right now. As I said in another thread, *hopefully* these close games translate into wins next season. Always next season...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What’s your opinion on the game? Still seeing improvement?
You didn't ask me but I do. we have gone into every game except Pitt with a chance to win or tie late into the 4th quarter. I get that my perspective is not popular with most but I think this team is indeed improving. Go ahead and shoot me but I can see it and am perplexed why others can't. I think the negatives (which are plenty) might distort perspective a bit. Or maybe my wife is right and I am crazy but I think this year's team is much better than the last 2 years. The LOS needs to get better on both sides before it translates into the bottom line.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
You didn't ask me but I do. we have gone into every game except Pitt with a chance to win or tie late into the 4th quarter. I get that my perspective is not popular with most but I think this team is indeed improving. Go ahead and shoot me but I can see it and am perplexed why others can't. I think the negatives (which are plenty) might distort perspective a bit. Or maybe my wife is right and I am crazy but I think this year's team is much better than the last 2 years. The LOS needs to get better on both sides before it translates into the bottom line.
I just don’t see it. We saw big plays in 2019 but a lack of wins. 2020 Covid excuses abounded. This year such a mixed bag of getting down two scores, poor execution and more and more excuses.

I guess I keep expecting to see Geoff get PISSED and fired up at his players and staff… but alas… it’s only the refs because it must be their fault they let teams boat race 2 scores early.

slugboy

Staff member
Advanced box score
That tells the story better than Game On Paper does. If someone told me going into this game that our players were more explosive than Miami’s, I’d be a little surprised. We were, on offense and on defense (aside from havoc plays by Miami’s front 7). It’s the consistent execution that kills us—we hit some of the swing passes, but missed a lot of plays we should have connected on.
The biggest EPA play was Juanyeh Thomas’ 2 point conversion. The next biggest play for GT was an incomplete on 2nd down in the 4th quarter.
EDIT: It looks like Carter and Sanders need the ball more, and Gibbs and Mason need more completed passes—that’s where the points were.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So, I agree that talent is better. But, you also see major improvements in actual coaching?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just don’t see it. We saw big plays in 2019 but a lack of wins. 2020 Covid excuses abounded. This year such a mixed bag of getting down two scores, poor execution and more and more excuses.

I see them...honestly. But because I do know doesn't mean everyone else should or needs to so if you don't, I am okay with that. I love sushi but my wife absoluely hates it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So, I agree that talent is better. But, you also see major improvements in actual coaching?

here is what I see....I treat this stuff as entertainment. Just like I do golf. We have been going toe to toe with the teams who are on are schedule and competing with them right until the end of our games. Would I like to win every game? Of course. But I see the players, the team, the program and the coaches improving. Again, I know I am taking an unpopular stance but you did ask for my opinion. These guys (players and coaches) need to learn how to win. It took Bobby Ross's teams into his 3rd year and Bobby Ross (imo) was a genius when it comes to coaching FB.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I see them...honestly. But because I do know doesn't mean everyone else should or needs to so if you don't, I am okay with that. I love sushi but my wife absoluely hates it.
You and forensic both seem to be aligned that everything is still moving in the right direction and not as bad as it seems.

When do you expect us to turn the corner based on your optimism?

I’m really trying to figure out what I’m missing. I see poor game planning, vanilla schemes, lack of focus, and severe blame deflection.

gtpimp

Georgia Tech Fan
But it very literally was that close.... if you watched the game
No,it wasn’t. At no point, despite the gifts they gave us, did we capitalize. I’m surprised they did not throw more, the 4th down stops were more gifts. Our offense was atrocious outside of jahmyr and mason. It wasn’t close, more like guessing how we could look a gift horse in the mouth. What game were you watching

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't have the ability to answer that as my ability to predict the future is no better or worse than any one else's. I see a positive trendline. Honestly. However the slope might be so small that he cannot survive. I understand that. I have no allegiance to him or anyone else that has coached our team. My allegiance is with the program at the end of the day and I have been this way for nearly 50years.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You and forensic both seem to be aligned that everything is still moving in the right direction and not as bad as it seems.

I’m really trying to figure out what I’m missing. I see poor game planning, vanilla schemes, lack of focus, and severe blame deflection.
I would say when we get better OL play and have more depth. I expect us to be demonstrably better next year. I'm not sold on Thacker yet as a DC at the P5 level. I think CDP is better than everyone whines about. I think our players are young and inconsistent, and as they age and mature, that will get better.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
No problem with Sims as the starter. I would like to see Yates get a series if we struggle on 3 consecutive series or struggle in general. That doesn’t create controversy, it’s playing the hand so to speak. What could it hurt? Not a Collins homer, or hater, in a way I get him trying to be positive, but would be nice to hear or see him chew some *** and show fire. IMO we are improved somewhat, just need to learn how to win. A season of coulda , shoulda, and head scratching decisions for sure, but that is the hand we are dealt right now. I do think changes are in order on both sides of the ball, and maybe can start showing results. The guys are playing hard, so hats off to them. GO JACKETS!

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I would say when we get better OL play and have more depth. I expect us to be demonstrably better next year. I'm not sold on Thacker yet as a DC at the P5 level. I think CDP is better than everyone whines about. I think our players are young and inconsistent, and as they age and mature, that will get better.
I would argue that without a scheme change on both sides we won’t see a dramatic jump in wins. I think there is too much hope put on the OL improving to be realistic about getting to 7+ wins by the time CGC’s contract is up for discussion of renewal.

While I agree a strong OL can be a dominant trait for us to get wins, I see a LOT more holes than just OL to plug. Secondary has been alarmingly burned a ton this year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would argue that without a scheme change on both sides we won’t see a dramatic jump in wins. I think there is too much hope put on the OL improving to be realistic about getting to 7+ wins by the time CGC’s contract is up for discussion of renewal.

While I agree a strong OL can be a dominant trait for us to get wins, I see a LOT more holes than just OL to plug. Secondary has been alarmingly burned a ton this year.
I think we have enough at the skilled positions on O to be successful in this scheme. I think the blocking has to improve tremendously or it won't matter what scheme we have.

On D, I've been unhappy with our performance for years. I just don't understand why we're not better. We have traditionally recruited our strongest players to the defensive side of the ball, so that should be a strength. As I said, I'm not sure Thacker was ready for this, but I don't know as I'm not a professional coach. Our secondary doesn't seem to be as good as it has been in the past, and we have the same players.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I tend to align with both @4shotB and @forensicbuzz on this one. I'll take a stab at answering for me, not for them.

First, it probably needs to be understood that I am not a "CGC fan" and that I find a lot of his used car salesman persona off-putting. The difference is that I recognize that that's personal preference on my part, and does not preclude him from being a quality coach.

Second, we need to at least agree that, while this may or may not have been the "biggest transition in college football history," it was indeed a massive transition in terms of changing over personnel and body types.

So, with that understood, I expect to see 5-7 wins in 2022 and the corner truly turned in 2023 with a chance at a 9-10 win season.

Several reasons for this: Sims will have several years of development, the OL will be more developed and deeper, all other skill position players will be further along in the system, and we will be relying more on handpicked recruits and less on transfer portal diamonds.

This is what I have been saying from the beginning. It's what most non-GT fans I know expected. This was always going to be a tough rebuild. That's why CGC got a 7 year deal. If CGC fails to win 5-6 games next year, I will start to doubt he can accomplish his goals here.