#GTvsMIA Postgame. Tech falls short 33-30

zzzboy25

Georgia Tech Fan
I get that it's a disappointing and frustrating loss but we led in the 4th and were never behind by more than 3 points. That's the definition of close.

Pull up all the yardage stats you want the game is based off points not yards. We were only ever one Gibbs breakaway or scoop and score from winning. If you can't acknowledge that you are delusional
I was also 3 numbers away from winning the lottery...So I'll have a better chance next week....right..SMH

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
The whole NFL gambit really irks me. That represents 2% of all college players. So we have thrown away season after season chasing the 2% fantasy.
100% of good high school players think they are going to the NFL whether they make it or not. A good recruiter/program has to recognize that.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
100% of good high school players think they are going to the NFL whether they make it or not. A good recruiter/program has to recognize that.
And i think Collins has done a pretty decent job of getting his shots at the nfl. I never would've thought Davis would get drafted. Never would've thought Cottrell would get signed somewhere. Camp, Askew. While many don't last in the league i think it's useful that many at least get a shot and a check

Animal02

Banned
So lie to them then?......that does a real good service to the kids, shows you are not about what is best for the players, just a win at all cost.......yeah, just process the ones that don't work out , right? BTW....your 100% number is BS

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yea Sims didn’t look as sharp as previously.

I was more frustrated with the play calling. It seemed like every time we did pass it was 3rd and long.

When the run was working, that’s fine. They adjusted and we didn’t. Kept running the ball on early downs and had 3rd and 5+ a lot.

That leaves tighter windows or more pressure.

CDP didn’t put Sims in a position to succeed, but Sims did miss some easy throws that he should’ve made.

OL was Swiss cheesy again today too which doesn’t help.

I would welcome those 3rd and 5. It was all those third and 10 that is killing us. No first down performance is killing us.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
So lie to them then?......that does a real good service to the kids, shows you are not about what is best for the players, just a win at all cost.......yeah, just process the ones that don't work out , right? BTW....your 100% number is BS
How is it a lie when you have no idea what the kid will end up doing? You want to attract the best players by demonstrating you can give them the environment to succeed and fulfill their dream. I had a dream of being a pro baseball player- it never worked out but it was still a dream. If I were a 4-5 star athlete I would definitely believe I was going to be a pro.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
you are right, if you run 80% plays through one player they will stand out, but is that what you want to build on!
The guy is really good and I was one calling for us to get him more touches, so I’m glad to see it. But it just still seems that we aren’t very creative on offense. I could probably sit down and watch how we line up and predict our play calls at an 80% clip. Kind of scary.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I read your posts the same way I listen to Collins' press conferences. You are basically the exact same thing as Collins, but from the opposite perspective. Whereas he is hyper positive to a fault, you are hyper negative to a fault. I'm not sure what your objective is, but you would probably have more of an effect/impact if you dialed it down a little.

Animal02

Banned
How is it a lie when you have no idea what the kid will end up doing? You want to attract the best players by demonstrating you can give them the environment to succeed and fulfill their dream. I had a dream of being a pro baseball player- it never worked out but it was still a dream. If I were a 4-5 star athlete I would definitely believe I was going to be a pro.
If you have no idea what the kid will end up doing, you have no business being in coaching or recruiting. The fact is, if you have the talent, the NFL will find you. For the most part, kids that have it know it, and the ones that don't know it and know the ones that do (Played against a team that has 3 kids that when on to the NFL, all three started as freshmen at factory D1 schools....it was obvious they were on a different level....speed, reaction time etc). Fact remains that only about 2% go on to the next level......it should not be the focus of the program

Animal02

Banned
I read your posts the same way I listen to Collins' press conferences. You are basically the exact same thing as Collins, but from the opposite perspective. Whereas he is hyper positive to a fault, you are hyper negative to a fault. I'm not sure what your objective is, but you would probably have more of an effect/impact if you dialed it down a little.
LMAO? And what impact am I supposed to have? Convincing some other anonymous posters that I am right and they are wrong? And that will do what? Certainly will not change anything. If you think any discussion here changes anything..........well I won't say anything more due to forum rules.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
If you have no idea what the kid will end up doing, you have no business being in coaching or recruiting. The fact is, if you have the talent, the NFL will find you. For the most part, kids that have it know it, and the ones that don't know it and know the ones that do (Played against a team that has 3 kids that when on to the NFL, all three started as freshmen at factory D1 schools....it was obvious they were on a different level....speed, reaction time etc). Fact remains that only about 2% go on to the next level......it should not be the focus of the program
It’s not the only focus of the program just one aspect. There are examples of guys every year that were not all world in high school yet developed into a pro- also can’t miss guys that did not develop. However if you recruit a lot of top level talent it usually bodes well.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
LMAO? And what impact am I supposed to have? Convincing some other anonymous posters that I am right and they are wrong? And that will do what? Certainly will not change anything. If you think any discussion here changes anything..........well I won't say anything more due to forum rules.
I was just pointing this out. I actually agree with your overall summation, but from your posts there is absolutely nothing Collins does that is good - Everything to the extreme is Bad. It;s the same thing listening to Collins press conferences, there is absolutely nothing he does that is bad. Again, I'm just telling you how your posts come across to me. It actually has me giving Collins the benefit of the doubt. Which i think is counter to your objective.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this @Sheboygan

For the most part, we tackled a lot better. We had some 3rd down and 4th down stands. We had some gorgeous plays on both offense and defense. You should watch just for the defensive two point conversion. Or for Mason’s 71 yard TD. Or Gibb’s big day. Sanders made an great one-handed catch. Our punter almost got tackled, but managed to get away a punt in a gutsy play.

We shot ourselves in the foot with penalties and other mistakes, but Sims made some of the plays we’ve been dying for him to make. He missed some of those plays too, and they could have won the game for us.

We had enough gutsy plays to win easily—we also shot ourselves in the foot enough to lose most games. The shooting in the foot part of our game won out over the gutsy plays, unfortunately.

Patenaude called some cool plays and we came out in the pistol and some of the other formations that people have been asking for. Sean Bedford made a few compliments during the game. We had several plays that were an inch away from breaking a big play or a score, but ended up with just a short gain.

Blocking was good sometimes, and sometimes not. When it was good, we looked really good.

There were plays where our defenders looked great, and here were a couple where they messed up pretty badly.
Good GENERAL assessment. Here are some specifics:
Punter made a great saving play as a result of poor blocking. Overall punting is still somewhat below expectations.
Short yardage run D was very good. Overall run D still bad. Tackling spotty.
Only one sack. Too many wide open receivers. Two busted coverages. One for a TD. Other a long gain. No excuse. Time for some new faces including coaches.
Play calling on first down is killing us as we punted at least 5 times with 3rd and 10+-. Look at our miserable first down yardage (hint: it is not there) Our run game needs more 2 backs and more imagination.
Sims missed too many easy throws, especially in situations to keep the chains moving. Some more bad decisions including the turnover. Why throw the ball away on purpose backward and lose the down and the yardage? Snap was low so you have to 1. step to it and not reach for it 2. fall on it 3. pick it up without putting your knee down. 4. maybe another snap catcher?
Great kickoffs still our only consistent play (except maybe on side kicks)
Not enough D Smith. TE's not helping us much. And worth repeating: Need more imagination on run plays and more two backs
Lots of effort on D but very poor results overall. We need some sort of change on D. Seeing O effort from Sanders and Gibbs/Mason
The really good plays from Sims are offset or sometimes more than offset by missed easy throws, bad decisions, and turnovers and I just do not see the improvement
Weather is cooler. We need more minutes on the field out of our best players

Animal02

Banned
I was just pointing this out. I actually agree with your overall summation, but from your posts there is absolutely nothing Collins does that is good - Everything to the extreme is Bad. It;s the same thing listening to Collins press conferences, there is absolutely nothing he does that is bad. Again, I'm just telling you how your posts come across to me. It actually has me giving Collins the benefit of the doubt. Which i think is counter to your objective.
I have not found anything GC has done to be positive.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I would welcome those 3rd and 5. It was all those third and 10 that is killing us. No first down performance is killing us.
True.

I get we need to rely on our ground game, but I was very frustrated with the play calls on early downs. Felt like we should have throw more early to open the run back up once they committed to shutting it down, yet we continued to try and force it up the middle.

I see below you mention using two back sets more. I'm good with that too. I just think we never threatened them deep. We also never throw the ball over the middle which make defending us even more predictable.

Sims typically throws the comeback route as well as the little hitch to the sideline. We never attack the middle of the field though. I think we hit Carter once on a shallow drag that picked up like 10 yards. I feel like with McGowan and Mccollum's ability to create space we could also run some option routes against zone.

Not having a TE that's even remotely a threat in the passing game kills us too.

I'm a novice when it comes to X's and O's, but feel like the last few games CDP has struggled calling plays. Maybe he's playing it too safe, but it's frustrating to watch.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
A good coach would have taken the kids he had, and constructed a game plan to win with those kids, regardless of whether it was what he wanted to be in the long run. These kids have a small window to perform.....throwing away season because it is not the formula you want is selfish and narcissistic. And no....it never had to be a "tough rebuild". GC chose to make it that way......and no about of excuses change that.
Right! He could have put a few option plays in. We had 10 running backs? At nebraska we put in some option plays this year, they work well and the fans love it!