#GTvsCUSE Postgame

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Based off what I see so far in three games, we will be lucky to win 2 more games the rest of the season. No way we hang with Clemson, ND, Miami... Toss ups vs BC, Pitt, Louisville, and NC State. Duke we might be favored
I still wanna believe we get one shocking win this year like we did against Miami last year. I hope it is against Miami or Notre Dame.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Based off what I see so far in three games, we will be lucky to win 2 more games the rest of the season. No way we hang with Clemson, ND, Miami... Toss ups vs BC, Pitt, Louisville, and NC State. Duke we might be favored
I wouldn’t have Louisville and Pitt as toss ups. We are going to have to play substantially better to beat either one.

pcctlw

Georgia Tech Fan
CRF was effective because he could run any play out of any formation. He ran spread, wishbone, pro se,t single back, Flex bone, and I. He trusted Tech players to run any scheme he wanted.
Precisely my point. CFR was a special OC. He utilized the advantages of GT student athletes . He certainly benefited from CGL defenses too. Football has changed light years since CRF. I don't have the same confidence moving forward in CDP to develop the same.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I am disappointed the way the game was lost more than just losing the game. I had expectations of being 1-2 at this point (losing to FSU and beating Syracuse). If Tech does not improve (the way they played today)there will be no more wins this year.
Oh, I don't know. We might beat Duke.

Precisely my point. CFR was a special OC. He utilized the advantages of GT student athletes . He certainly benefited from CGL defenses too. Football has changed light years since CRF. I don't have the same confidence moving forward in CDP to develop the same.

Football has not changed as much as you think it has. What has changed is the players thinking that they are all headed to the NFL and don't want to play as a team in a system. And what is funny the same percentage will never play at the next level. But that is because the current generation all got a participation trophy.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Three games in, we're sitting at 1-2, and it seems like some of you are ready to give up on CGC, Sims, and/or team.

Let these players play and let the coaches coach and let's see how the season goes.

This is CGC's 2nd season helming our program and he and the staff decided to start a true freshman QB. Let's not get too carried away with how we react/vent to a frustrating couple of games.

It also feels like the FSU W kind of gave us an unnecessary bump in expectations for this season? I think for me that was because I saw slivers of potential with Sims-led offense and got excited about some of the risks we took on defense that ended up paying off in that game but clearly that was an extremely small sample-set.

Call me crazy but I'm still optimistic about this program's future but certainly understand the frustration/venting today.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Football has not changed as much as you think it has. What has changed is the players thinking that they are all headed to the NFL and don't want to play as a team in a system. And what is funny the same percentage will never play at the next level. But that is because the current generation all got a participation trophy.

I wonder what generation had the bright idea to give them all participation trophies...

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe the first INT was a slant to the WR when the defender hit his arm. It was off playaction so it wasn't just a snap and throw type of play, but that type of slant really needs to be something the QB checks into when he sees something rather than called from the sideline. In general though slants, in some situations, can relieve pressure but it's dependent on where the pressure is coming from. It's kind of like screens. Screens can be great against some forms of pressure. But if the opposing team can get pressure bringing 4 then the screen isn't likely the answer.

Thanks. I know it's not a cure all. I just feel like he throws those really well and they're out of his hands quickly. I feel like we had guys open today, we just didn't have time to get the ball out.

I was hoping our Oline was significantly improved, but it seems like FSU was really just that bad. I think al the hype their Dline got going into that game and how well we moved the ball (despite turnovers and poor redzone offense) gave me (animist likely all of us) hope that we'd made big jumps up front. While I think we are better, it's still a weakness.

This doesn't excuse all of Sims play today. He definitely needs to protect the ball better. I think the more he understands what the defense is doing and learns to check plays at the line as he diagnoses things, he will be really good.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Thanks. I know it's not a cure all. I just feel like he throws those really well and they're out of his hands quickly. I feel like we had guys open today, we just didn't have time to get the ball out.

I was hoping our Oline was significantly improved, but it seems like FSU was really just that bad. I think al the hype their Dline got going into that game and how well we moved the ball (despite turnovers and poor redzone offense) gave me (animist likely all of us) hope that we'd made big jumps up front. While I think we are better, it's still a weakness.

This doesn't excuse all of Sims play today. He definitely needs to protect the ball better. I think the more he understands what the defense is doing and learns to check plays at the line as he diagnoses things, he will be really good.
Sims had plenty of time to throw.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We are not better than last year.... Except we do have more 4 Stars on the roster and even a 5 star DE.... But we are still losing "winable games" becuase we have a recruiting staff and not a Football Coaching staff... maybe they can learn to become better coaches...
Last we avarge about 13 points a game. 60 yds rushing 90 yds passing.
We are not better than last year.... Except we do have more 4 Stars on the roster and even a 5 star DE.... But we are still losing "winable games" becuase we have a recruiting staff and not a Football Coaching staff... mathecan learn to become better coaches...
I already made that point in an earlier post. I was talking out our offensive stats. Loses are coming we can't stop anyone on defense. Defense wins championships. No one will win championships trying to match score for score. Ucf and Syracuse games. Are examples Having to play catchup every week. Keeping the scores low always give you a chance to win every game.Coming from behind makes you throw the ball more. 3 things will happen 2 of those are bad interceptions or incomplete passes. The 3rd is completions.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Sound like you want perfection which doesn’t exist

I thought he coached a bad game the past two weeks. Not horrible but still bad. The three backs ran the ball very well today, Gibbs got 100 yards, but I think we should lean on them more. Take the ball out of Sims hands a little as he learns all these new blitz schemes & defensive coverages. He’s putting the ball in the air way too much. It’s a lot for a veteran qb. Like you post earlier, where were the quick hitters, the plays that make an over aggressive defense fall back some; Screens, passes to the flats, & slants. Like you got to make a blitzing defense pay.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Clearly turnovers and penalties lost this game. But looking deeper:

1) On O play calling, we would get some momentum running the ball and then try passing just because of the need to establish a "balanced" offense. I'd like to see us keep pounding the rock (when it's working) until they show they can stop it and THEN start mixing in more passes. No need to mix it up just to have "balanced" pass/run stats...
2) Kicking game and overall special teams are unexplainably bad - the joke of college football right now. How can this level of kicking game not have been exposed earlier in practices? Points strongly to coaching/recruiting/practice issues. HAS to improve this season or the responsible coach should be fired to send message that repeated "below the line" performance is unacceptable.
3) A lot of missed tackles on D - too many to help extend their drives early. Can be improved within this season.
4) Pass blocking was well below average - direct cause for 2 of the 4 INT`s. Hated to see the Oline regression here. Can be improved within this season assuming our injuries remain manageable.
5) DL and LB's did poor job applying pressure relative to previous Syracuse opponent results. We all know this is a clear recurring weaknesses - hope more recruiting and depth for the front 7 will help - don't expect we'll see much improvement here until that happens. Likely not to improve much this season.
6) Our WR's are not creating enough separation - QB is having to go through progressions routinely which compounds issues with a Freshman QB... Can improve route running skills and getting off the line better this season.
7) Our DB's are getting beaten on a regular basis - have really regressed here - we were better here last season. I know Tre is out but a lot of our DB's are trailing opponent receivers by a yard or two even on incomplete passes. Not sure what the answer is here...

On the positive side (hard to find in a game like this), our running game looked great, punting was on NFL level and.....that's about it... In summary, if the running game is working, keep running until it's not working... This changes the passing game dynamics entirely (ie less INT's). Fix the penalties, and we win this game...