#GTvsCUSE Postgame

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Regarding our DB’s, a couple of times?? What? They have been burned repeatedly by UCF’s QB and DeVito. It’s all about recruiting and we have to recruit ourselves out of getting burned. We have some guys showing flashes but we have a few guys who are all hat no cattle.

I’ve said all along that the most fascinating part of the transition/rebuild of GT football isn’t the wins and losses but the process. I truly believe the wins will come as the recruiting adds depth, but the process is what is most fascinating. We now have 12 days to get ready and decide what this season will be.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Better than last year
We are not better than last year.... Except we do have more 4 Stars on the roster and even a 5 star DE.... But we are still losing "winable games" becuase we have a recruiting staff and not a Football Coaching staff... maybe they can learn to become better coaches...

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
That was maddening to watch. The good news is I think we've shot our foot completely off so we shouldn't have to worry about that going forward. We might be a "step" slow though...

On a serious note, the running game looked really good today. All 3 guys played well. Everything else sucked. Question for those that know more about football than me. is there a reason we didn't run any slants today? That is a throw Sims seems very comfortable completing and our Oline was getting abused. Seems like a quick throw that would slow them down some and give the young guy some confidence? Did Syracuse play in a way that prevented those throws?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
1- DB’s got burned just like against UCF. #1 and #2 on defense are having horrible seasons.
2- No leader on defense to tell teammates to not line up offsides. That is just dumb football.
3- Not taking the easy 5 yards when our opponent jumps offsides. They teach that in middle school ball.
4- The kicking game makes GT a laughingstock. Our kicker actually kicked the ground before the ball.
5- Trying trick plays when you can’t make a kick is what middle schools do.
6- Play all freshmen. They are better than many on the field.
7- Gibbs is our best player and it’s not close. We haven’t had a guy who can take the corner in a long time.
8- Brown is our 2nd best player and needs to get the ball.
9- Rotate Sims and Gleason and let game play decide the future.
10- Good teams can go shotgun or under center.
11- Recruit, recruit, recruit and stay positive.

How much more conservative can get? We were runnning on 3rd & 6+

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We are not better than last year.... Except we do have more 4 Stars on the roster and even a 5 star DE.... But we are still losing "winable games" becuase we have a recruiting staff and not a Football Coaching staff... maybe they can learn to become better coaches...

lol please stop commenting. It’s no need to lie

We have doubled our offensive output andsustaining drives. Turnovers & FGs are killing us right now

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Not sure why we keep ragging on the D. Sure they aren't great and there's huge improvements needed but that D did enough today to let us win by 3 scores.

LOL, so as the night rolls on and the alcohol kicks in the posts get nastier and nastier. It does not help that Miami is up 39-3 at the half over FSU. FSU may be the worst team we play. And Miami may be the second or third best we play, based on ND. As I stated before, this is the grand experiment. We have a coach who believes he can out recruit many of the teams we play and play standard vanilla offense and defense and win purely on talent. Coach P runs no advantage scheme on offense and Coach T rarely blitzes. We shall see.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
On a serious note, the running game looked really good today. All 3 guys played well. Everything else sucked. Question for those that know more about football than me. is there a reason we didn't run any slants today? That is a throw Sims seems very comfortable completing and our Oline was getting abused. Seems like a quick throw that would slow them down some and give the young guy some confidence? Did Syracuse play in a way that prevented those throws?

I believe the first INT was a slant to the WR when the defender hit his arm. It was off playaction so it wasn't just a snap and throw type of play, but that type of slant really needs to be something the QB checks into when he sees something rather than called from the sideline. In general though slants, in some situations, can relieve pressure but it's dependent on where the pressure is coming from. It's kind of like screens. Screens can be great against some forms of pressure. But if the opposing team can get pressure bringing 4 then the screen isn't likely the answer.

pcctlw

Georgia Tech Fan
Today was a bad day. Unfortunately more will be coming. Very frustrating with similarities to discipline & coaching from the Bill Lewis era or the early days of Bill Curry. Big learning curve ahead for this staff. Hype and excitement is fine but must translate these emotions to field play. I have seen minimal progression during the season in the CGC first two years. Big change between years but not so much during the season. I remember going to Tuscaloosa in 1981 to watch the Jackets beat Alabama 24-21 then returning home going 0/10. Bobby Ross had a very slow start but each game showed progression in all phases which led up to the 1990 miracle season.

My Observations:

Coaching & Discipline- lack of- major issues moving forward on both sides of the ball including special teams.

The D looked awful the last two weeks. I realize we are missing many key players but so is everyone. Syracuse made plays when needed and we didn't. Had a chance to take over the game today but fell flat allowing a score in 3 plays after closing within 3 (game should have been tied). Game over. The O miscues (turnovers) again came back to make a mountain for the D to climb. Our receivers manage little separation whereas our opponents are wide open with little challenge. DB's / linebackers must step up to counter the D-Line issues. UCF made some great receptions but most were unchallenged. D coaches and players will have to dig deep to find solutions. D-Line will continue to struggle so maybe it's time to see how the younger guys will perform for future preparation.

O looks good at times but lacks consistency especially when close to the red zone. Not sure the OC makes effective in game adjustments to keep defenses on their heels. Each game the O starts strong usually stopped by turnovers or mistakes but as the game progresses they become less effective. CDP gets in a rut with play calling, becomes predictable, and the defense makes adjustments to shut them down. CGC will have tough decisions moving forward. IMO He needs a Ralph Friedgen 2.0 OC to equalize the current talent differential until recruiting improves for 2 to 3 more years . No, I am not referring to the 3O.

I expect CGC to make the necessary changes to move the program to a higher level. Recruiting is vastly improved when considering contributions from players in the 2020 class. Haven't given up on CGC. My biggest concern is the lack of week to week improvement from coaching up. Not a good sign when we still can't fundamentally handle special teams in his second year. We continue to labor with extra points.

Miami is throttling FLA ST 38-3 so that win was not as significant as we thought. We have a challenging long way to go so hopefully CGC will make necessary decisions going forward.

Today was a bad day. Unfortunately more will be coming. Very frustrating with similarities to discipline & coaching from the Bill Lewis era or the early days of Bill Curry. Big learning curve ahead for this staff. Hype and excitement is fine but must translate these emotions to field play. I have seen minimal progression during the season in the CGC first two years. Big change between years but not so much during the season. I remember going to Tuscaloosa in 1981 to watch the Jackets beat Alabama 24-21 then returning home going 0/10. Bobby Ross had a very slow start but each game showed progression in all phases which led up to the 1990 miracle season.

My Observations:

Coaching & Discipline- lack of- major issues moving forward on both sides of the ball including special teams.

The D looked awful the last two weeks. I realize we are missing many key players but so is everyone. Syracuse made plays when needed and we didn't. Had a chance to take over the game today but fell flat allowing a score in 3 plays after closing within 3 (game should have been tied). Game over. The O miscues (turnovers) again came back to make a mountain for the D to climb. Our receivers manage little separation whereas our opponents are wide open with little challenge. DB's / linebackers must step up to counter the D-Line issues. UCF made some great receptions but most were unchallenged. D coaches and players will have to dig deep to find solutions. D-Line will continue to struggle so maybe it's time to see how the younger guys will perform for future preparation.

O looks good at times but lacks consistency especially when close to the red zone. Not sure the OC makes effective in game adjustments to keep defenses on their heels. Each game the O starts strong usually stopped by turnovers or mistakes but as the game progresses they become less effective. CDP gets in a rut with play calling, becomes predictable, and the defense makes adjustments to shut them down. CGC will have tough decisions moving forward. IMO He needs a Ralph Friedgen 2.0 OC to equalize the current talent differential until recruiting improves for 2 to 3 more years . No, I am not referring to the 3O.

I expect CGC to make the necessary changes to move the program to a higher level. Recruiting is vastly improved when considering contributions from players in the 2020 class. Haven't given up on CGC. My biggest concern is the lack of week to week improvement from coaching up. Not a good sign when we still can't fundamentally handle special teams in his second year. We continue to labor with extra points.

Miami is throttling FLA ST 38-3 so that win was not as significant as we thought. We have a challenging long way to go so hopefully CGC will make necessary decisions going forward.

LOL you say we need a Ralph Friedgen coordinator but no TO...guess what his bas play was???? the TO. See Godesy 30 yard Touchdown VS UGA 2000. We need more of an option attack.

pcctlw

Georgia Tech Fan
LOL you say we need a Ralph Friedgen coordinator but no TO...guess what his bas play was???? the TO. See Godesy 30 yard Touchdown VS UGA 2000. We need more of an option attack.
Times have certainly changed. Many teams ran similar packages but CRF made in game adjustments which are lacking today. Nebraska won three National Championships in the 90's with much the same but not today.

Times have certainly changed. Many teams ran similar packages but CRF made in game adjustments which are lacking today. Nebraska won three National Championships in the 90's with much the same but not today.

CRF was effective because he could run any play out of any formation. He ran spread, wishbone, pro se,t single back, Flex bone, and I. He trusted Tech players to run any scheme he wanted.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Based off what I see so far in three games, we will be lucky to win 2 more games the rest of the season. No way we hang with Clemson, ND, Miami... Toss ups vs BC, Pitt, Louisville, and NC State. Duke we might be favored