#GTvsCUSE Postgame

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Well,
1. 15 penalties and 4 turnovers you will never win
2. Our receivers aren't getting open. On the pass that was intercepted on the overthown, all three of our receivers were within 3 yards of each other. and none of them was open
3. I keep saying run the ball but as the game went on our line either quit blocking or Cuse just pressed. Frankly I am not really sure what our running game is other than handoff and hope there is a hole.
4. Another week and the defense gives out of gas. Of course Cuse had 16 possessions and we had 17.
5. The announcers said we have no sweat practice on Thursdays....maybe we need to get back to sweating.
6. Cuse is better than us. They have a better line and receivers.

I said from the start of the CGC era that this was a grand experiment. Can you recruit and get better and enough talent to run a standard offense and defense and beat opponents in your conference and of course UGA. Our current systems that we run are plain schemes that you see in the NFL every day. No CPJ triple option, no Tenuta attacking defense. The experiment goes on and right now I give the staff a D-. We shall see but folks, the schedule only gets harder and we will not be favored in any of our remaining games. I sure hope this season does not end up like 1981.
Or 2019 for that matter

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I am disappointed the way the game was lost more than just losing the game. I had expectations of being 1-2 at this point (losing to FSU and beating Syracuse). If Tech does not improve (the way they played today)there will be no more wins this year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sims needed time to mature. We might possibly ruin him the way we’re going.

This is something I have seen countless times in the NFL. Draft a guy, pay him high $$$, and then throw him to the wolves. Once shellshock and PTSD sets in, recovery is near impossible. I always have been in the camp that suspects Brady wouldn't have been Brady if he had been picked by the Bengals and started day 1 in his rookie season. I believe he would have made it a year or two and then sold insurance for the rest of his life.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Discipline, disciipline, discipline...
I had counted this as one of our 2 or 3 wins this year....depressing.
I don't like to lose, but I don't mind losing if we play hard and clean. That was not the case today, and it isn't fun to watch at all!!!

Gibbs, Smith and Griffin! What a trio (and I still miss Mason)
Harvin - nice day, except for last kick.
FG/PAT - wow. low and slow is our game there - we are ASKING for blocks!
D - our secondary - are they slow? playing soft? I don't know, just not effective. They looked good against FSU, but we got burned against UCF. Need to tackle better!
KO coverage - poor! Stay in your lanes!!!

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
In re-watching the 1st quarter quickly it really is apparent how terrible of a start we had today.

- Our first offensive possession is really thrown off by the ball just slipping out of Sims' hands for no apparent reason. Fortunate to keep the ball but lose 5 yards and a down. Then have 3rd and 15 and unsurprisingly don't convert.
- Then the defense is doing a decent job on Syracuse's possession UNTIL Quez Jackson misses a tackle that would've forced them to punt. BUT it's a moot point since GT Def was offsides anyways. And then what happens...that weird Juanyeh Thomas non-tackle to TD run. 7-0 Cuse
- GT gets the ball back and on 2nd down they drive right through the middle of the line hit Sims' arm and big man INT.
- The D does a decent job in holding Syracuse to a FG here.
- When we get the ball back we actually put together a pretty damn good drive down the field. 2 yards into the red zone and they blitz from the outside, noone sees it or picks it up and again hit Sims arm for another INT. Returned to the GT 37
- Then they just simply run it down our throats for a TD. And that's the 1st quarter. 17-0

To find a silver lining I guess it's impressive that they fought back to within 3 after that horrendous start. But then in the 4th quarter they seemed to "let go of the rope" as Collins would say.
Despite that horrendous start the game was winnable. But you can't win many games with a start like that, and as many penalties as we had, and all of those turnovers. Bleh

Edit: Arkansas 10 uga 5

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Hard to find anything positive about that game. I guess Harvin was pretty good. Gibbs wasn’t too bad. Outside of that it was one of the worst games I have seen as a fan. It’s hard to do that many things poorly in one afternoon. Plenty of coaching opportunities during the off week. Particularly for Sims.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is true. I had that "here we go again" feeling very early on. A good friend of mine played at Tech back in the day. He described that feeling as a player when they lost on the road to a bad Tulane? Rice? Duke? team. He said it felt like they were all running in sand and the mood was lethargic. They kept waiting for their "real team" to get cranked up but it never happened. He said that they lost to a team that they would beat 98 out of a 100 times. He shared this with me when we were watching GT lose to Kansas at their place several years back.

Exactly! I saw that running in sand thing your buddy mentioned early on as well. One silver lining -- we often follow one of these stinkers with a sharp game.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
In re-watching the 1st quarter quickly it really is apparent how terrible of a start we had today.

- Our first offensive possession is really thrown off by the ball just slipping out of Sims' hands for no apparent reason. Fortunate to keep the ball but lose 5 yards and a down. Then have 3rd and 15 and unsurprisingly don't convert.
- Then the defense is doing a decent job on Syracuse's possession UNTIL Quez Jackson misses a tackle that would've forced them to punt. BUT it's a moot point since GT Def was offsides anyways. And then what happens...that weird Juanyeh Thomas non-tackle to TD run. 7-0 Cuse
- GT gets the ball back and on 2nd down they drive right through the middle of the line hit Sims' arm and big man INT.
- The D does a decent job in holding Syracuse to a FG here.
- When we get the ball back we actually put together a pretty damn good drive down the field. 2 yards into the red zone and they blitz from the outside, noone sees it or picks it up and again hit Sims arm for another INT. Returned to the GT 37
- Then they just simply run it down our throats for a TD. And that's the 1st quarter. 17-0

To find a silver lining I guess it's impressive that they fought back to within 3 after that horrendous start. But then in the 4th quarter they seemed to "let go of the rope" as Collins would say.
Despite that horrendous start the game was winnable. But you can't win many games with a start like that, and as many penalties as we had, and all of those turnovers. Bleh

Edit: Arkansas 10 uga 5
Tech has had to dig out of a hole every game

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I am so sorry for everyone that had to watch that live. I don't know what I would've done if I couldn't just start fast forwarding through ****. Last week we lost but we're inferior and every position group on the field. This week we were superior at every single position group on the field and somehow lost.

We flat out dominated Syracuse for probably 90% of the plays on the field. I have never in my life seen one player single handedly lose a football game over a course of an entire 60 minutes like that. Freshman or not, that was absolutely ridiculous.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
The defense gave up 49 last week and 37 this week. You’re going to many games giving so many pts

To be fair to the defense, we had 10 or 11 turnovers in those two games. Plus we were stopped on offense more times than I can remember off the top of my head. I feel like the defense is playing much improved. Especially with some of the talent that is not playing right now.
The offense is the problem.
Oh and special teams and a lot of the coaching staff. I do like the O-line coach and Choice. But the head coach needs to learn how to be a head coach. I hope he can.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
To be fair to the defense, we had 10 or 11 turnovers in those two games. Plus we were stopped on offense more times than I can remember off the top of my head. I feel like the defense is playing much improved. Especially with some of the talent that is not playing right now.
The offense is the problem.
Oh and special teams and a lot of the coaching staff. I do like the O-line coach and Choice. But the head coach needs to learn how to be a head coach. I hope he can.
Neither the offense or the defense was the problem this week.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We moved the ball and had about 275 yards rushing but no one can win with four turnovers and 100 yards in penalties. That is too much to overcome. Quarterback is not near as big a "problem" as the offensive line breaking down at inopportune times. Hats off to Syracuse for coming back from two losses to play well. Their line did much better than I thought it would after watching Pitt and UNC nail Devito for 14 sacks.

Syracuse offense was the same from the last 2 weeks. I highly doubt they will do this to anyone else

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Strangely, without watching the game and the aid of beer, I am not upset we lost this game. Amazing what happens at the beach.

Just got off a plane and was only able to listen to the first half... Just embarrassing from what I have read here and on ramblinwreck. On to another flight.

Looking forward to the game I. The 9th... Hope is all I have right now that we stay in that game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I thought we would take them when we fought back to pull within 3, but ultimately too many mistakes. I loved the 2nd and 3rd quarters and hated the 1st and 4th.

I love the fight and talent in this team and am hopeful for the future.

We had over 450 yards total offense, dominated time of possession, and still only scored 20 points. I do not think we have near as much talent as many seem to think. A talented team does not pull within 3 points in the second half and allow the other team to answer with a touchdown in less than a minute. We got beat by a bottom tier ACC team that some, though not I would claim to be the absolute worst team in the ACC. Embarrassing performance all the way around.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought we would take them when we fought back to pull within 3, but ultimately too many mistakes. I loved the 2nd and 3rd quarters and hated the 1st and 4th.

I love the fight and talent in this team and am hopeful for the future.
I agree. Still much fight in this team. Turnovers are killing us. Couple of positions need help.