#GTvsCUSE Postgame

Scubapro

Banned
Turn of the game, for me, was the 3 play quick score by syracuse after we got the game within 3. That was a dagger. Even after UCF we seemed to have a hard time getting lined up especially after big plays.

Gibbs is a special player. At times, we moved the ball at will running, but stupid mistakes get you behind the chains.

Syracuse blanketed our receivers, and first two picks were on bad protection. Even the third pick was a throw the receiver had a chance to make, but he didn't go up for the ball. The last one was inexcusable, but again occured after a 3rd and 15.

Keep in mind this offense converted on a 2nd and 40. 2nd. And. 40. It's ridiculous the situations we had today.

A decision has been made to let the kids play. I have faith that will work out in the long term.
How many points does converting a 2 and 40 generate? asking for a friend

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I'd say we look like the better team between 5-8/10 plays every game. But those other 2-5 plays whoooo boy is it ugly.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
...postgame threads is that some seem to think other teams coaches don’t get paid to scheme and exploit weaknesses. I thought CDP play selection was bad at time. Too often we were sending 5 routes out vs 6 blitzers and still didn’t have an something open quick from where the blitzers removed themselves
So you agree that CDP's play calling has been bad. I recall many simply blaming the players for not executing.

slugboy

Staff member

Pls come back.

Glad to see Qua backing this generation of Football Jackets.

We’ve got two weeks to get ready for Louisville, who just got hit hard by Pitt. There are things that are hard to fix in a couple of months, or even a year, but we’ve just got two weeks to get better. Louisville is going to be a lot better than Syracuse.

OL: After UCF every DLine coach is going to have his guys practicing even more often to get their hands up and try to bat down passes—doubly so after Syracuse. I think we’re a lot better than last year, but I don’t think we’re still not up to the level we need to be for P5 competition. Cochran would have made a positive difference on the line.
We got a good push in a lot of plays, but made a bunch of unforced errors in others. Run blocking is getting better. Pass blocking hasn’t been as good since FSU.

QB: Sometimes a freshman QB comes in and looks like a pro, like Trevor Lawrence. Most of the time, they look like a freshman, and our freshmen look like freshmen. Sims has a big dual-threat upside, but he’s going to need coaching. Likewise with Gleason and Yates.
We keep Patenaude up in the box, but with young QBs I feel like we could use a coach down on the field to work with them and talk with them.
There have been some turnovers that the line contributed to, but there have been some bad decisions and bad throws. Even the near-TD to Brown should have been thrown inside more—the pass took him outside and he eventually went out of bounds.

TE: It would really help to get some of our guys back. Coco is playing hard, and you gotta love him for that.

RB: Really happy with these guys. We tried a screen across the field to get one of them a convoy, but Sims got rushed too fast.

WR: They looked so amazing against FSU. They’re still looking good, but they haven’t had the same performance since then.

Offensive Coaching: There have been some play calls I haven’t liked, but more of our problems have been in execution than in strategy. There were weaknesses in this Syracuse defense to pick apart, and we didn’t do that. We did go stronger on the ground game, and that was working well for us, but we went there too late. If we’d moved the ball out of the gate and gotten points on our first drive, this game might have looked a lot different. We seem to be adjusting in the game more than taking advantage of a good scouting report to understand how to attack our opponent.
I’d say that’s true with UCF too—we didn’t hit them where they were weak.

DL: If we just had more depth. Ryans has been a playmaker, and we could really use him back. Coaching looks so much better when the opposing team has to devote their brainpower to scheming a player our two out of the mix.

LB: We could really use one player here that’s a game changer. It should be easier to get a star linebacker than a star lineman. We dialed up a few blitzes today, but they usually didn’t make it to the QB. We need some athleticism out of the LB spot for that.
If I was a LB recruit, I’d be thinking “I got a shot for playing time”.
We’re also in a 4-3, so I’m used to the middle being beefy and the outside linebackers being quick. I’d be happy with a lot of “quick” right now.

DB: Some of this is growing pains, but dang this was a rough game. For Free Safety, I’d rather have an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu body type out there with some closing speed. We went for beef. We can’t change a year of strength and conditioning in two weeks, but we need to fix that.
At corner, I don’t know how much we miss Tre, but we could really use one corner where the other team thinks “I’m not throwing there”. We haven’t had that so far this year.
While we have a couple of interceptions, there’s still not really anyone back there that is manufacturing turnovers.

Defensive coaching: whatever weakness Syracuse had to exploit on the OL, we didn’t exploit well. The turnovers on offense were bad, and don’t read into what I’m writing that I’m downplaying that, but our defense made DeVito look like a decent QB today, after their fan base was ready to run him out of town the previous two weeks.

Special teams; no comment.

All in all, our coaches and players missed a golden opportunity today. They need to patch some things up and quick.

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
this game was a GT groundhog day kinda thing. No matter the era, no matter the head coach, when we play a lightly regarded opponent on the road, we lay an egg. I've watched us do it for 60 years now.

This is true. I had that "here we go again" feeling very early on. A good friend of mine played at Tech back in the day. He described that feeling as a player when they lost on the road to a bad Tulane? Rice? Duke? team. He said it felt like they were all running in sand and the mood was lethargic. They kept waiting for their "real team" to get cranked up but it never happened. He said that they lost to a team that they would beat 98 out of a 100 times. He shared this with me when we were watching GT lose to Kansas at their place several years back.

Scubapro

Banned
We run a balanced spread attack that likes to attack every level of the defense in the passing game and with zone and gap run scheme

What irks me about game chats and postgame threads is that some seem to think other teams coaches don’t get paid to scheme and exploit weaknesses. I thought CDP play selection was bad at time. Too often we were sending 5 routes out vs 6 blitzers and still didn’t have an something open quick from where the blitzers removed themselves
I don't understand some of your arguments.
To me it seems the D coordinator ( UCF and Cuse) seems to be one or two steps ahead of Dave. He is paid to coach and make adjustments like his competition.
Dave doesn't seem to recognize the strengths of his own players.
He called some really good plays today but he also called some horrible ones as well.
Its just the horrible ones lost us the game where the good ones just padded the stat line.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Just oit of curiosity, if we consider a blocked FG also as a turnover, then just how many turnovers have we had this year?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I don't understand some of your arguments.
To me it seems the D coordinator ( UCF and Cuse) seems to be one or two steps ahead of Dave. He is paid to coach and make adjustments like his competition.
Dave doesn't seem to recognize the strengths of his own players.
He called some really good plays today but he also called some horrible ones as well.
Its just the horrible ones lost us the game where the good ones just padded the stat line.

Sound like you want perfection which doesn’t exist

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Careful...people will say you like CPJ better and you know how that goes.:rolleyes:
I have been telling folks that Patenaude is not a Power Five coach. His deficiencies are not hard to spot. I wish he could have shown up and been a Fridge but he aint.
I have just resigned to hold on and watch the clown show...none of us get to make coaching decisions.

What are his deficiencies?