RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Also, I understand your point that it unifies the fans and that it looks great on TV or maybe it looks more intimidating to players of the opposing team if they walk out and see all of the fans in one color, but 1) it isn't very realistic IMO to ask for fans to all wear gold every week, that is too difficult of a thing to get out to everyone and 2) gold doesn't stand out like Red or Orang. If you google Alabama stadium it will all look red from a distance because the red stands out but in actuality there is a good mixture of red and white along with a little black. The same is true for all schools that have a bold primary color like red, or orange. Also, I think if we sold out the stadium on a regular basis we would see more gold. That is the biggest problem. We end up having 20k visitors in our 55k seat stadium. That is a real problem.

Nope. Disagree. Wear whatever school-related color you want to. As long as it's one of the four school-related colors, it's fine by me.

I prefer to wear dark blue, and will wear dark blue shouting my head off for the guys on the field. Don't really care what other people think.
TOTALLY DISAGREE with that sentiment. I frankly don't care what color you PREFER wearing, we are the YELLOW JACKETS, not the BLUE JACKETS. Why is it so damned hard for Tech fans to wear the PRIMARY school color at games, when every other fanbase in the country wears their team's PRIMARY color to games. Don't you realize that a stadium full of gold speaks volumes to the players on the field, not to mention people watching on TV? Sure, I want the stadium actually to be FULL, but we go with what we have, and maybe when other people see a united fan base, made evident in what they wear to the games, then others will find the atmosphere attractive as well. I applaud you for yelling and cheering at the top of your lungs, but DISPLAY your loyalty also by wearing gold or yellow (or white for the whiteout games). Anybody looking at you wearing a blue shirt in the stadium, unless they can see a logo on the shirt, might well believe you are a UNC or Duke fan. Loyalty is not just about cheering and yelling.

Also, I understand your point that it unifies the fans and that it looks great on TV or maybe it looks more intimidating to players of the opposing team if they walk out and see all of the fans in one color, but 1) it isn't very realistic IMO to ask for fans to all wear gold every week, that is too difficult of a thing to get out to everyone and 2) gold doesn't stand out like Red or Orang. If you google Alabama stadium it will all look red from a distance because the red stands out but in actuality there is a good mixture of red and white along with a little black. The same is true for all schools that have a bold primary color like red, or orange. Also, I think if we sold out the stadium on a regular basis we would see more gold. That is the biggest problem. We end up having 20k visitors in our 55k seat stadium. That is a real problem.
Why is it not REALISTIC to ask for fans to wear gold every week. Other schools' fan bases do. It's only a few hours a week, 7 weeks out of the year, plus whatever away games you might attend. As far as not standing out, it really doesn't matter what color it might be, a stadium, or even just one section of that stadium all in gold, will stand out just like any other color does. Lame EXCUSE, and definitely not a REASON. Even if we are not sold out, and we have large sections of opposing teams' fans in them, large areas of the stadium all wearing gold still make a difference.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
TOTALLY DISAGREE with that sentiment. I frankly don't care what color you PREFER wearing, we are the YELLOW JACKETS, not the BLUE JACKETS. Why is it so damned hard for Tech fans to wear the PRIMARY school color at games, when every other fanbase in the country wears their team's PRIMARY color to games. Don't you realize that a stadium full of gold speaks volumes to the players on the field, not to mention people watching on TV? Sure, I want the stadium actually to be FULL, but we go with what we have, and maybe when other people see a united fan base, made evident in what they wear to the games, then others will find the atmosphere attractive as well. I applaud you for yelling and cheering at the top of your lungs, but DISPLAY your loyalty also by wearing gold or yellow (or white for the whiteout games). Anybody looking at you wearing a blue shirt in the stadium, unless they can see a logo on the shirt, might well believe you are a UNC or Duke fan. Loyalty is not just about cheering and yelling.
Look up pictures of Notre Dame's stadium, or Michigan, or Pitt, and you'll see a bunch of photos that look a lot like our stadium, because Gold/yellow doesn't stand out. Their stadium looks like a mixed bag because they have navy, gold, and white. The colors don't pop like red and orange. Also for TV it helps if we all have shakers that are either Gold or White just as much or more as the color of out shirt. Michigan has a lot of bright yellow shakers and that really stands out on TV.

I live in Alabama, so I usually go to an Auburn game and an Alabama game once a year with friends and there is no unified color at either stadium unless it is called for ahead of time like our white out games. At auburn you get Orange, navy, and white. At Alabama you get Crimson, white, and a little black here and there. As long as fans wear gold, white, or navy why does it matter as long as they cheer on the jackets? I understand doing a gold out once a year and a white out once a year, that is fun, and it looks cool on TV, but we're just fans. We don't need a uniform to sit in the stands. That's just weird to me.
Because Navy is a primary color for other schools (UNC and Duke, for instance). I haven't been to a game at Auburn in years, but from what I have seen on television, the vast majority of their fans wear Auburn orange (as opposed to Clemson orange) shirts, and the vast majority of the Bama fans I have seen on TV are wearing Crimson. And then there is also Tennessee, where the fans wear either orange or white depending on what section they are sitting in, so that you see entire sections of orange alternating with entire sections of white. THAT is the way to DISPLAY your loyalty.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Because Navy is a primary color for other schools (UNC and Duke, for instance). I haven't been to a game at Auburn in years, but from what I have seen on television, the vast majority of their fans wear Auburn orange (as opposed to Clemson orange) shirts, and the vast majority of the Bama fans I have seen on TV are wearing Crimson. And then there is also Tennessee, where the fans wear either orange or white depending on what section they are sitting in, so that you see entire sections of orange alternating with entire sections of white. THAT is the way to DISPLAY your loyalty.
That's because Orange and red overtake the other colors. Auburn is a mixed bag of orange white and navy, I promise you, but orange stands out. Old gold is soft and muted and does not stand out.

Look up pictures of Notre Dame's stadium, or Michigan, or Pitt, and you'll see a bunch of photos that look a lot like our stadium, because Gold/yellow doesn't stand out. Their stadium looks like a mixed bag because they have navy, gold, and white. The colors don't pop like red and orange. Also for TV it helps if we all have shakers that are either Gold or White just as much or more as the color of out shirt. Michigan has a lot of bright yellow shakers and that really stands out on TV.
Other than the bowl games, I have not received a shaker at ANY Tech game in probably 20 years. I was at ND last Fall, and the stadium was uniformly green, not blue or gold. I've never been to UM or Pitt, but aren't their primary colors blue? Why would they be wearing other colors, even the secondary ones? I repeat, if a large group of fans sitting together all wear gold or yellow, it WILL stand out. Obviously scattered about, it accomplishes nothing.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
It's obvious that those of you who disagree with me just plain do not want to wear gold. My question there is WHY THE HELL NOT???
I'll wear Gold to the gold out game, and maybe a couple of other times if I can find a gold shirt that I really like, but I usually wear white to every game. I don't think you'll ever be able to get everyone on board with it is my objection to it. I think it's fun once or twice a year when you can specifically market those games, it but won't happen every game.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Everything I have in gold is stained on the front. Too hard to keep it clean. Navy works just fine for me.

BTW: UNC Blue is a sky/powder blue, not navy. Duke is a prussian blue, not navy. I love the blue in the uniforms in my avatar.

We get you like to wear gold. Great!!! Enjoy that. I'm wearing a navy sweatshirt, with a gold GT and lettering, a navy fitted cap with a gold GT logo and jeans to the game in Ireland. Maybe I'll wear a navy t-shirt underneath in case it gets too warm and I need to shed the sweatshirt [my last comment on the subject].

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It's obvious that those of you who disagree with me just plain do not want to wear gold. My question there is WHY THE HELL NOT???

You have to ask why people from an engineering school value function over form? You have to ask why people from an engineering school are not concerned about conforming, and are not concerned about how they are dressed?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
"Paul Johnson...do fans need to wear gold to the home games? White? Navy?"

CPJ: "Just tell our fans to buy a damn ticket and come to the games so we have more revenue to staff my recruiting department!"

This is what I imagine would be going through CPJ's head if someone asked him about our colors.

Everything I have in gold is stained on the front. Too hard to keep it clean. Navy works just fine for me.

BTW: UNC Blue is a sky/powder blue, not navy. Duke is a prussian blue, not navy. I love the blue in the uniforms in my avatar.

We get you like to wear gold. Great!!! Enjoy that. I'm wearing a navy sweatshirt, with a gold GT and lettering, a navy fitted cap with a gold GT logo and jeans to the game in Ireland. Maybe I'll wear a navy t-shirt underneath in case it gets too warm and I need to shed the sweatshirt [my last comment on the subject].
I have gold (yellow) shirts some of which are more than 10 years old, and not one of them is stained and is definitely not hard to keep clean. Maybe I should do your laundry for you. LOL
Blue is blue, no matter what the shade, and both UNC and Duke and Pitt and UM (probably many others) are blue. I don't like blue uniforms at all, regardless of how good they might look. We are the white and gold, not the blue and gold, or white and blue. What's so hard about that? And who cares if the shirts are stained anyway? You don't go to games to make a fashion statement.

You have to ask why people from an engineering school value function over form? You have to ask why people from an engineering school are not concerned about conforming, and are not concerned about how they are dressed?
Yeah, right. Tell that to all the fratty boys in their white shirts and ties at EVERY home game. You don't think they are conforming? Besides conforming to non-comformity is still conforming.

"Paul Johnson...do fans need to wear gold to the home games? White? Navy?"

CPJ: "Just tell our fans to buy a damn ticket and come to the games so we have more revenue to staff my recruiting department!"

This is what I imagine would be going through CPJ's head if someone asked him about our colors.
You are probably right there, but I still remember Ross's reaction to coming on the field at the Citrus Bowl, and seeing all that gold? Of course, the majority of the gold was in the shakers, but it was still a sea of gold that met him and the team when they took the field.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, right. Tell that to all the fratty boys in their white shirts and ties at EVERY home game. You don't think they are conforming?

They conform to their click. If you want the swarm section to wear gold, then you can stop because you already got your way.

I couldn't tell you what the people around me wear because I don't pay attention. I don't remember any close to me that wear button up shirts and ties. I can't even tell you what I wore to the games last year(except for the FSU game) because I don't pay enough attention to remember. I don't wear shirts with a lot of holes in them(except for a worn out gold shirt that has all four NCs listed on it). I don't wear red and black shirts for obvious reasons. Other than that, I grab something I like on gameday and head to the stadium.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You are probably right there, but I still remember Ross's reaction to coming on the field at the Citrus Bowl, and seeing all that gold? Of course, the majority of the gold was in the shakers, but it was still a sea of gold that met him and the team when they took the field.

If GT makes it to a National Championship game, I'll wear whatever gold Ma Tech wants me to...and I'll spring for 10 more for fans around me!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Who cares if it doesn't stand out it's the schools primary color and if we were to all wear gold you would be able to tell. Not to mention it affects recruiting imo, a stadium in all one color or a stadium in 3 or 4 colors? Let's also consider its about the players more than us and this is something that the players are wanting, so if they want it why would we not support them in it? I do agree that having the stadium more full would be more important, but why not push for the gold as well, that's something GT athletic department could advertise. I understand it might stain easy, or it's not the best looking color, but once again who cares, it's a football game and it would be done to support the team and what THE PLAYERS WANT!

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Other than the bowl games, I have not received a shaker at ANY Tech game in probably 20 years. I was at ND last Fall, and the stadium was uniformly green, not blue or gold. I've never been to UM or Pitt, but aren't their primary colors blue? Why would they be wearing other colors, even the secondary ones? I repeat, if a large group of fans sitting together all wear gold or yellow, it WILL stand out. Obviously scattered about, it accomplishes nothing.
Super - understand and appreciate what you are advocating for. On the face of it I agree as well. Sadly, I think that it is a losing battle; the navy blue color is here to stay regardless of GT's history with colors and so will the mixed bag we see at the games.

Personally, I wear a gold shirt to the games other than the Whiteouts. Some would say that it is not the correct shade of gold - I got it at the GT bookstore. If I had one wish though, it would be that Grant Field had 50k GT fans at every game wearing anything they wanted with 5k opponents fans spread around in the corners of the Upper North and Upper West with the frowns on their faces being their most unifying attribute.

As to what you say about shakers; In recent years, I have received shakers at Grant Field at the gate a few times. There were piles at the end of the rows at F$U last year (Lower West) and there has been times where GTAA, Alumni Assoc. or outside vendors have been wandering around campus giving shakers pre-game. Interestingly enough, the shakers have been either white, old gold or a mix of the two - never Buzz Gold (yellow) and certainly not navy.

As to ND - they appear to have the same issues as GT when it comes to color. I disagree with you; nothing was uniform there and oddly, enough green is one of ND's secondary colors with Navy and Gold being primary:
28429468744_bc2364f647_b.jpg

Their student section was uniform - I loved that look. However, it was a green that is not what I would consider similar to what an average ND fan would wear - but it is an official (secondary) shade of green for ND. The emerald green most people wear is an official tertiary(!) color for ND.

Based on what I saw and what ND says their official colors are, I would have to say that green gets in the way with ND's official colors in the same way navy gets in the way with GT's official colors. ND's popularity does not seem to suffer because of it.

Keep up the fight.