#GTCamp2016

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Surprised the reporters didn't asked about Cottrell, unless they were told not the ask off-the-record. Last I heard from CPJ's report last Thursday, he was out of practice and banged up a bit. We need him out there practicing and developing chemistry with the rest of the group and QBs.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Best part from CPJ was in reference to O vs D. One day the D wins the next day the O does. This hasn't always been the case. Maybe only true last year and maybe a little in 09? Early on I recall few instances where the D was even with the O in camp.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I am glad to hear the following:

"new stance and footwork"
"blitz pickup changes"
"backside sets"

It sounds to me we are finally getting into the 2000s with how you play tackle at the D1 level. YAY. Long overdue. This is something many of us have complained about for years regarding our coaching of the pass pro techniques and tackles stances/footwork. Years. Although we are not NCAA coaches, it was obvious, and I am glad Ron West is in here fixing it. You see, you don't have to be an NCAA coach to know when something is off. LOL
We'll see. Hope the changes work out.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We'll see. Hope the changes work out.

Yup. Cant get worse though imo. Like einstein said insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. What we did was not working consistently enough. So lets try something new.

Look, if there was only one effective way to block or play offense or play defense everyone would do the same thing. But everyone runs what they know; so to change you need to be open to bringing in someone who knows more or something else to maybe improve. Kudos to paul for recognizing and adapting!

I am waiting on roof to do the same. Although we havent hired anyone new, is he actively meeting with other defensive minds in the industry to learn what they do? I know many coaches do this to improve. I would like to see it more here; or if we are doing it then it would be nice to hear it!!!

Maybe Ken can ask.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
Cottrell is someone I really want to see in action. I hope he is good to go.
Me too, but literally haven't heard one encouraging word on him this camp. Id guess he's third string at the moment, assuming he's fit.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am waiting on roof to do the same. Although we havent hired anyone new, is he actively meeting with other defensive minds in the industry to learn what they do? I know many coaches do this to improve. I would like to see it more here; or if we are doing it then it would be nice to hear it!!!

Maybe Ken can ask.

The best coach in the football business in the modern era, Bill Belichik, is notorious for meeting with college coaches on all levels and picking their brain. He just loves to be on the cutting edge of football ideas and concepts that are working. More importantly, he likes to pick coaches brains on how to defend certain offenses or attack certain defenses.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/07/s...-inquiring-mastermind-wants-to-know.html?_r=0

I know CPJ and his staff visit various other offensive staff from pro to college coaches. When Al Groh was here, he was meeting regularly with college and pro coaches as well to glean info (TIFWIW...his results spoke differently).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The one thing that stands out about this camp is the coaches haven't really harped on lack of effort from the guys like they have in past fall camps. No reports of a position group fighting to stay focused because they've hit a wall or it's been too hot. Sounds like our boys are busting their tails out there even if they might not be doing everything exactly the way coaches are drawing it up.

Sounds like our offseason conditioning program is paying off in that regard.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Yup. Cant get worse though imo. Like einstein said insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. What we did was not working consistently enough. So lets try something new.

Look, if there was only one effective way to block or play offense or play defense everyone would do the same thing. But everyone runs what they know; so to change you need to be open to bringing in someone who knows more or something else to maybe improve. Kudos to paul for recognizing and adapting!

Maybe Ken can ask.
Johnson has always had two OL coaches until a couple of years ago when he tried a special teams guy instead. I hope that was Johnson making that decision instead of the tail wagging the dog (I'm sure it was knowing CPJ). He tried the shotgun a couple of years ago. Roof has tried the 4-2-5. There are many ways to skin a cat. These guys work just about every waking hour with other coaches trying to find better ways to do things to get an edge. Both Roof and Johnson have done this their whole lives and are judged every day on the job they do by people who have no clue what they're talking about usually. That's why I take exception to people on message boards who THINK they are qualified to tell them "what they are doing wrong." I understand that is what boards are for but I still take exception especially when I feel I know better from personal experience.

If and when this staff fails and they get let go it won't be because they are not great coaches. Great coaches get let go every year even legends such as Bowdon and Beamer. All coaches know the expectations.

We all know the issues at Tech especially you having served in the GTAA and I think those are way more of a factor that fans can do something about instead of backseat coaching. Let the guy we hired worry about defensive scheme and pass protection technique. If they don't meet expectations they know the consequences.

Again I know this is a message board and people give their opinion and that's not only fine but it's a GREAT thing that has come into our lives. We ALL love GT and want that consistent winner. No one more than Johnson and Roof.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Johnson has always had two OL coaches until a couple of years ago when he tried a special teams guy instead. I hope that was Johnson making that decision instead of the tail wagging the dog (I'm sure it was knowing CPJ). He tried the shotgun a couple of years ago. Roof has tried the 4-2-5. There are many ways to skin a cat. These guys work just about every waking hour with other coaches trying to find better ways to do things to get an edge. Both Roof and Johnson have done this their whole lives and are judged every day on the job they do by people who have no clue what they're talking about usually. That's why I take exception to people on message boards who THINK they are qualified to tell them "what they are doing wrong." I understand that is what boards are for but I still take exception especially when I feel I know better from personal experience.

If and when this staff fails and they get let go it won't be because they are not great coaches. Great coaches get let go every year even legends such as Bowdon and Beamer. All coaches know the expectations.

We all know the issues at Tech especially you having served in the GTAA and I think those are way more of a factor that fans can do something about instead of backseat coaching. Let the guy we hired worry about defensive scheme and pass protection technique. If they don't meet expectations they know the consequences.

Again I know this is a message board and people give their opinion and that's not only fine but it's a GREAT thing that has come into our lives. We ALL love GT and want that consistent winner. No one more than Johnson and Roof.

Love your passion. How would you rate our talent on D this year compared to other coastal div teams?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Me too, but literally haven't heard one encouraging word on him this camp. Id guess he's third string at the moment, assuming he's fit.
Well, we never heard a word about him last year when he was gearing up to start after 2 weeks in camp either.

My guess is that he's being held back a bit until he gets well. I think everybody who's hurt could probably play tomorrow if this was the regular season; Coach seems pleased that we haven't had any major injuries yet. Still, I'm guessing that the staff knows what they have with Cottrell and don't want to push their luck. Hammys can be hard to fully heal, especially if you push the envelope with one.

We'll see soon enough.