#GTCamp2016

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think you guys will enjoy this one.

Thanks for posting that, I really liked it. At the very end, he spoke about combo blocks with Shamire and how they're focusing on the first level before getting to the second. I'm assuming, both guys go high on those blocks at the first level to avoid any possible chance of chopping? I know we've had issues before where one of our guys is scraping on his way to the LB and we get called for the chop because the other guy goes low.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like our OL1 is shaping up with the only spot left to win is LT:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/competition-on-for-starting-left-tackle-job/nsGdw/

So it looks like we'll start off with ??? - Bryan - Burden - Devine - Klock.

REALLY like the GCG combo, especially with a bigger and stronger Bryan, a healthy Burden, and a dedicated Shamire. Klock is pretty athletic, so it's just a matter of time for him to settle into the position. Coach West sounds like he's bringing in a new perspective on OL play...we'll see how it shakes out when the bullets are real.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like our OL1 is shaping up with the only spot left to win is LT:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/competition-on-for-starting-left-tackle-job/nsGdw/

So it looks like we'll start off with ??? - Bryan - Burden - Devine - Klock.

REALLY like the GCG combo, especially with a bigger and stronger Bryan, a healthy Burden, and a dedicated Shamire. Klock is pretty athletic, so it's just a matter of time for him to settle into the position. Coach West sounds like he's bringing in a new perspective on OL play...we'll see how it shakes out when the bullets are real.
Is Marshall the heir apparent to Freddie at C?

Imagine Andrew at center, Taquan at qb and Marcus at B. "Marshall snaps to Marshall and hands to Marshall for the td!!!"

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Is Marshall the heir apparent to Freddie at C?

Imagine Andrew at center, Taquan at qb and Marcus at B. "Marshall snaps to Marshall and hands to Marshall for the td!!!"

You know, Marshall is the only one ever mentioned snapping the ball after Freddie. I'm sure there are other guys. I think Muns was a center at one point, but I don't know where he's at these days. Coach is always moving guys around...

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
You know, Marshall is the only one ever mentioned snapping the ball after Freddie. I'm sure there are other guys. I think Muns was a center at one point, but I don't know where he's at these days. Coach is always moving guys around...
Muns is a senior, right? So Marshall would be the heir apparent I would guess.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting that, I really liked it. At the very end, he spoke about combo blocks with Shamire and how they're focusing on the first level before getting to the second. I'm assuming, both guys go high on those blocks at the first level to avoid any possible chance of chopping? I know we've had issues before where one of our guys is scraping on his way to the LB and we get called for the chop because the other guy goes low.

Great to hear. We saw a lot of guys floundering to get to the second level last year when it was blitzers or linemen doing the work on the front line (not to mention whiffing on the linebacker or safety on the second level).

If we can make sure we get em at the point of attack, our consistency is going to go way up. We are also focusing on being leaner from a body fat percentage. Better quicks and endurance will do wonders for next level blocks.

If our AB and WR corps is invested, things could get exciting. Will even pay dividends in the pass game -- less predictable passing situations, less diva plays, etc.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If our AB and WR corps is invested, things could get exciting. Will even pay dividends in the pass game -- less predictable passing situations, less diva plays, etc.
I think this is part of the reason for moving Mikell to wr, he's willing and able to block. If he starts seeing the field because of it, it will motivate the others to do the same.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
BTW, if they post the Shamire Devine video, do yourself a favor and watch it. The kid is a scream. Reporters were laughing their butts off the whole time.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
We are also focusing on being leaner from a body fat percentage. Better quicks and endurance will do wonders for next level blocks.
I wonder what Shaq Mason's body fat percentage is/was and how the "go lean" movement this off season would've affected him... Not a statement, just wondering out loud.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you guys will enjoy this one.

I am glad to hear the following:

"new stance and footwork"
"blitz pickup changes"
"backside sets"

It sounds to me we are finally getting into the 2000s with how you play tackle at the D1 level. YAY. Long overdue. This is something many of us have complained about for years regarding our coaching of the pass pro techniques and tackles stances/footwork. Years. Although we are not NCAA coaches, it was obvious, and I am glad Ron West is in here fixing it. You see, you don't have to be an NCAA coach to know when something is off. LOL

Last edited: