#GTCamp2016

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm more interested in the freshman QB's than MJ or Taquan.

IMO, if we're going to be good in 2017, we need to feel comfortable with MJ and/or TaQuon. Otherwise, I agree that our "next Justin" is probably currently a freshman. It will take a couple years to get them up to speed, unless they are absolute studs. This is our year to line things up, because next year is a bit of an unknown without Justin.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
IMO, if we're going to be good in 2017, we need to feel comfortable with MJ and/or TaQuon. Otherwise, I agree that our "next Justin" is probably currently a freshman. It will take a couple years to get them up to speed, unless they are absolute studs. This is our year to line things up, because next year is a bit of an unknown without Justin.
It takes at least 3 yrs in the program with a mix of practice and game reps to become consistent in the nuances of the offense, especially becoming consistent with all the reads at full speed. Our offense, like any offense, is most effective when the whole playbook is in play. Rookie qb's have a much smaller playbook in play, typically.

It takes at least 3 yrs in the program with a mix of practice and game reps to become consistent in the nuances of the offense, especially becoming consistent with all the reads at full speed. Our offense, like any offense, is most effective when the whole playbook is in play. Rookie qb's have a much smaller playbook in play, typically.
And yet 2014 was essentially Justin's first year in the offense......he played some in 2013, but that certainly doesn't meet your "3 yrs in the program" opinion.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
And yet 2014 was essentially Justin's first year in the offense......he played some in 2013, but that certainly doesn't meet your "3 yrs in the program" opinion.
I guess I wasn't clear, by 3 yrs in I meant not starting till year 3 in program. (yr 1: redshirt/ yr 2: limited snaps in backup role/ yr 3: starter)

In your scenario, our current freshman would be starting in yr 2, not yr 3 like Justin.

As far as Nesbitt goes, he was much better in 2009 when he was in his second full year as starter and 3rd yr at GT and had additional live game snaps in yr 1 in Gailey's offense. In contrast, our current freshman would be starting in their 2nd year in program coming off a redshirt with zero live game reps under their belts.

In addition, the playbook has expanded considerably since then as defenses have become better adapted to defending us with both coordinators and players with multi-year experience seeing and defending our scheme.

I am still surprised to continually see guys write off Matthew Jordan. Now guys are writing off Taquan, as well. I just don't get it. Experience is crucial in our O. Talent is, too, but much less so if the guy doesn't know where to go or what to do when the bullets are flying.

That said, it's an open competition and young guys often beat out older guys and I'm totally fine with that. I just find it less likely than the opposite to happen.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Matthew Jordan will be a good QB for us. He's a better passer than TaQuan Marshall, but he doesn't have Marshall's explosive running game. Not that Jordan is lacking in the option game, he's more of a hybrid Nesbitt/Byerly/Washington grind it out power runner. He's not going to outrun someone once he's in the second level. He's got short space quickness to make the DE and LB miss on his option reads. I think he'll be a great technician of the option game like Tevin was (BTW, TW was probably the best technician CPJ has had at QB...but probably the least gifted in the skillset department). MJ is plenty athletic though so don't sleep on that. MJ is going to play the Byerly role this year where he takes over in short yardage situations...something CPJ has already alluded to. MJ is the probable starter in 2017 once JeT graduates.

TaQuan has close to elite level athleticism. That goes a long way in our option game. His passing from his HS tape and the spring game leaves a LOT to be desired though. He'll have a role in our offense at QB, but he needs to improve his passing if he wants to contend for the starting position in 2017. More than likely, given Christian Campbell's move to defense, Marshall may be just be keeping the seat warm at QB3 to keep the redshirts on the freshmen QB.

Jay Jones reminds me a lot of Christian Campbell. High athletic skillset, but not a really polished passer. In the long run, he may be a Synjyn Days/Demon Smith type QB recruit who ends up at another position and starts for us.

Lucas Johnson. I think he's going to rewrite how we think about QBs in this offense. I may be projecting what I hoped for with Vad Lee on Lucas, but he has all the tools, athleticism, and size to be a special player in the offense. Most importantly, he bought in from Day One on CPJ's system, and I think CPJ is not going to let those tools go to waste. Plus, we've got a dynamic group of ABs and a potentially really good group of WRs to take advantage of Lucas's skillset. I'm really excited about this guy's future.

2017 will be interesting for the QB position.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Matthew Jordan will be a good QB for us. He's a better passer than TaQuan Marshall, but he doesn't have Marshall's explosive running game. Not that Jordan is lacking in the option game, he's more of a hybrid Nesbitt/Byerly/Washington grind it out power runner. He's not going to outrun someone once he's in the second level. He's got short space quickness to make the DE and LB miss on his option reads. I think he'll be a great technician of the option game like Tevin was (BTW, TW was probably the best technician CPJ has had at QB...but probably the least gifted in the skillset department). MJ is plenty athletic though so don't sleep on that. MJ is going to play the Byerly role this year where he takes over in short yardage situations...something CPJ has already alluded to. MJ is the probable starter in 2017 once JeT graduates.

TaQuan has close to elite level athleticism. That goes a long way in our option game. His passing from his HS tape and the spring game leaves a LOT to be desired though. He'll have a role in our offense at QB, but he needs to improve his passing if he wants to contend for the starting position in 2017. More than likely, given Christian Campbell's move to defense, Marshall may be just be keeping the seat warm at QB3 to keep the redshirts on the freshmen QB.

Jay Jones reminds me a lot of Christian Campbell. High athletic skillset, but not a really polished passer. In the long run, he may be a Synjyn Days/Demon Smith type QB recruit who ends up at another position and starts for us.

Lucas Johnson. I think he's going to rewrite how we think about QBs in this offense. I may be projecting what I hoped for with Vad Lee on Lucas, but he has all the tools, athleticism, and size to be a special player in the offense. Most importantly, he bought in from Day One on CPJ's system, and I think CPJ is not going to let those tools go to waste. Plus, we've got a dynamic group of ABs and a potentially really good group of WRs to take advantage of Lucas's skillset. I'm really excited about this guy's future.

2017 will be interesting for the QB position.
I agree that Lucas Johnson looks different than the other QBs we have brought in since 2008. It should be interesting how things evolve.