#GTCamp20 Coverage

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Apologies for trying to share my expectations on QB production this year. Let the record show that my intent for "consensus" was proven correct (as were opposing opinions) :p

To me the better tangential debate is why ESPN has a seat at the table and has any influence over composite recruit rankings.

Anyway, it is kind of funny as I anticipate mod'ing future postgame discussions:
  • CDP has three 4* QBs in the room!! (see Rivals and put JG in that camp)
  • CDP has no 4* QBs in the room!! (see 247 and take JG out of that camp)
Both are accurate statements.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Is it just me or has some of the nuances of speaking about individual players changed a little bit since last year? It seems like the word “starter” has been used several times when various coaches are talking about certain positions where as last year it was almost unheard or even balked at stating that at roughly paraphrasing that there aren’t any starters at GT only “ATL” and there was a HUGE emphasis of saying that everyone who was “ATL” would get reps in a game. Did they determine that it wasn’t possible to sustain it? Was it only used last year to motivate or are they just late in completing the “ATL” roster because of the complications related to reduced reps due to COVID-19. I am also a little surprised about them gushing over Gibbs so much publicly. It’s honestly easy to see what a Special Talent he is. It’s refreshing to hear (as it was demonstrated during his recruiting process) that he’s hungry and humble with a outstanding work ethic. So that’s very Refreshing! Why not keep it more close to their vest and internal to the team and let the kid surprise FSU on the field. It would seem to me that it may also make Gibbs feel like it’s his already. Just some observations/questions. I can’t imagine the pressure/distraction/workloads on the coaches of trying to keep everything balanced (football, school, personal life, politics, CO-VID 19 policies/guidelines, social justice issues). All while evaluating current players, recruiting, and preparing to play against FSU. How do you keep the 18-23 (24) kids minds focused on the task at hand and keep those emotions in check when opinions vary? Hoping for the best 2020-2021 season can be. Go Jackets!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am going to stick my nose into the QB debate. I think the NCAA giving all these players a free season is a huge bonus for our four guys vying for the starting QB role. If I am the HC I will tell every one of these guys that the starting job in September 2021 is the goal they should aim for. I would let all four know that practice reps and PT might shift during whatever we have in 2020, so don't get too worked up about where you think the coaches have you ranked. Learn all you can learn. Keep your body as healthy and strong as you can. Nobody is #1 and nobody is #4.

What I hope is that we still have all four of these guys hungry for that job next fall. We have never had this much talent at that position. I don't want any of these guys to start looking at FCS schools next spring.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Regardless of who “starts” Sims playing. Read what CDP said about him. He playing, if not starting. Explosive this offense will be if the OLine holds. Too many weapons. Speed and power.

The OLine cloming together is important because what this offense will be is fun to watch.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Yeh he can be defensive but I kinda understand. He has built his business up and takes it seriously but he does need to lighten up a bit

It gets old. The guy whose throat he jumped down this morning is always a solid, level headed poster. Have followed him for a good while and pretty sure, like me, he isn't "chasing followers" and couldn't care less about his #s. That's like high school stuff. I have more followers than you! lol

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Several true freshmen start at major programs every year. See Sam Howell and Bo Nix as recent examples. They started day one based off of their performance in spring and fall practice. This isn't that crazy of a concept. You evaluate the guys and go with who you think gives you the best chance to win. I doubt UNC is regretting their decision.

If we had a Sam Howell or Bo Nix on the roster I’d agree. That’s why I think Sunshine will probably start game 1 of 2021.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Sims will be our long term QB (beyond 2020) but could see Yates or Gleason starting the season. Seems like Sims is the complete package but just has to fully learn the offense and reads

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I am going to stick my nose into the QB debate. I think the NCAA giving all these players a free season is a huge bonus for our four guys vying for the starting QB role. If I am the HC I will tell every one of these guys that the starting job in September 2021 is the goal they should aim for. I would let all four know that practice reps and PT might shift during whatever we have in 2020, so don't get too worked up about where you think the coaches have you ranked. Learn all you can learn. Keep your body as healthy and strong as you can. Nobody is #1 and nobody is #4.

What I hope is that we still have all four of these guys hungry for that job next fall. We have never had this much talent at that position. I don't want any of these guys to start looking at FCS schools next spring.
Not going to happen. Kids aren’t stupid. If they are #3 or #4, they will either switch positions or transfer. Don’t forget, at least one is arriving next year.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Not going to happen. Kids aren’t stupid. If they are #3 or #4, they will either switch positions or transfer. Don’t forget, at least one is arriving next year.
I hope Graham will decide you switch positions if QB doesn’t work out for him. He could be a great WR or DB. I know we are deep in those positions but he was a 4* athlete out of HS and with the eligibility rule he could still play 3 more years after this year.