#GTCamp20 Coverage

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we look like this across the front currently.

LT: Quinney 6’6 315
LG: Defoor 6’5 310
C: Minivan 6’3 307
RG: Johnson 6’6 325
RT: Williams 6’6 330

ATL:
Cooper 6’3 325
Clark 6’4 300
Maye 6’3 320
Spiers 6’3 298
Smith 6’5 310
Lay 6’2 305
Vaipulu 6’3
Green 6’7 300

Big boys with experience. I’m probably most excited about this unit, and anxious to see their progress and improvement.

Don’t forget Rankins 6’5 295 he was the highest rated OL in the class.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That’s false. The CONSENSUS is that he is a 4-star. That’s what the composite means - it takes an average of all the ratings agencies. 1 agency of the 3 rated him a high 3-star, but the consensus is that he is a 4-star.

James Graham is also a consensus 4-star.

Jordan Yates is a consensus 3-star, but Rivals rated him a 4-star.
That's not what consensus means. Consensus doesn't mean the average of all opinions, it means a general agreement. The fact that 24/7 lists him as a 3* means he was not a consensus 4*; they don't agree. That does not change who he is as an athlete, as a QB, or as a YJ.

Deleted member 2897

That's not what consensus means. Consensus doesn't mean the average of all opinions, it means a general agreement. The fact that 24/7 lists him as a 3* means he was not a consensus 4*; they don't agree. That does not change who he is as an athlete, as a QB, or as a YJ.

That’s false. In recruiting, you can quote a players rating on any individual service, but the consensus rating is the 247 composite rating. Consensus does not mean unanimous agreement. It means general agreement. You can look on any subject from climate change to COVID-19 and a consensus opinion is rarely unanimous.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
While I agree with CPJ being a life long supporter, I don’t think he has any affiliation or relationship with the current staff and athletes at all.

dollars to donuts he has not stayed in contact with anyone on the team now. That's just not his style

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That’s false. In recruiting, you can quote a players rating on any individual service, but the consensus rating is the 247 consensus rating.
No. You are wrong. What you are saying is false. Use a dictionary. 24/7 does not agree, therefore he's not a consensus 4*.

Consensus, in any application, including sports, means that all parties agree. A consensus All-American is a player identified as an All-American by ALL the groups. If they ALL don't give All-American status, then the player is not a consensus All-American.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
No. You are wrong. What you are saying is false. Use a dictionary. 24/7 does not agree, therefore he's not a consensus 4*.

Consensus, in any application, including sports, means that all parties agree. A consensus All-American is a player identified as an All-American by ALL the groups. If they ALL don't give All-American status, then the player is not a consensus All-American.
Leave it to a Tech board to argue about the definition of a word 😂😂

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Leave it to a Tech board to argue about the definition of a word 😂😂
I didn't pick the quarrel, but I believe it's important to understand what you mean when you choose words. Words are powerful, and the choice of words should not be haphazard.

All this being said, I don't care whether he's a 3*, a 4*, or a consensus 4*. He's a Yellow Jacket with huge potential and I'm excited he's here playing for us and competing for playing time as a Consensus True Freshman!

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I didn't pick the quarrel, but I believe it's important to understand what you mean when you choose words. Words are powerful, and the choice of words should not be haphazard.

All this being said, I don't care whether he's a 3*, a 4*, or a consensus 4*. He's a Yellow Jacket with huge potential and I'm excited he's here playing for us and competing for playing time as a Consensus True Freshman!
I concensusly concur

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow

At GT precision counts. Its precision man, precision! :gt::buzz::buzz::cool:

Deleted member 2897

Exactly. Consensus = general agreement. (that is from the dictionary, and in fact also states it does not equal unanimity)

In the english language, consensus has never implied unanimity.

You can also read 247's own definition of the composite rating, which they state is "A proprietary algorithm that compiles prospect "rankings" and "ratings" listed in the public domain by the major media recruiting services. It converts average industry ranks and ratings into a linear composite index capping at 1.0000, which indicates a consensus No. 1 prospect across all services." [emphasis mine]. In other words, if a player has a 1.000 composite rating, they are the consensus #1 player in the country. If they have a 0.9000 rating, they are a consensus 4-star player.

I'll give you another example - Bryan Bresee - he is a 0.9995 composite rating. He was the consensus #1 player in the country in the 2020 class. But it wasn't unanimous.

Last edited by a moderator:

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is anointing anything. These guys are in a fair, hard fought competition right now. Let one of them win it. If the losers transfer, so be it. That’s their decision. If we are going to refuse to make decisions because we are scared of making the wrong one then like all leaders with that mentality, we will fail. Thankfully, I don’t actually think Collins thinks the way you seem to think he does. I think he will try to go with a guy and try to win some games this year.
If you really want our future QB to be picked because of practice performance then you definitely think differently than me. Every coach in the country picks a starting QB based on game performance not how they look in non contact practice. In two of GT’s last three games we lost by a combined 97-7. Point being, our coaches won’t know a thing until we see it in a game. Our game 1 starter last year who obviously outshined the others in non contact practice isn’t even a QB anymore. And your comment about Collins has already been disproved last season when he rotated QB’s. By my count Collins played 4 players at QB with 3 of them starting games. Collins will do the same thing this year until one steps forward. He’s already told us that.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

Actually you're both right in terms of the definition of the word consensus. According to Merriam-Webster (hopefully that's a good enough source to quote) a consensus can refer to unanimity or it can refer to most. Dictionary.com says "general agreement" and "majority of opinion."

However, a consensus All-American is defined as a player who is recognized as a first team all-american by at least HALF of the recognized lists. A unanimous all-american is one who is listed as a first team all-american on all lists. So a unanimous all-american is also a consensus all-american but a consensus all-american is not necessarily a unanimous all-american. Here are a few links I found to substantiate that if you're interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-America (I generally don't love Wikipedia as a source but in this case it confirms what I read elsewhere)

I also found numerous college team sites that talk about various players achieving consensus status and talking about the various lists on which they were named 1st team all-american and that if they are named on one or two others they'd be unanimous as well as consensus.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

Actually you're both right in terms of the definition of the word consensus. According to Merriam-Webster (hopefully that's a good enough source to quote) a consensus can refer to unanimity or it can refer to most. Dictionary.com says "general agreement" and "majority of opinion."

However, a consensus All-American is defined as a player who is recognized as a first team all-american by at least HALF of the recognized lists. A unanimous all-american is one who is listed as a first team all-american on all lists. So a unanimous all-american is also a consensus all-american but a consensus all-american is not necessarily a unanimous all-american.

Yay! We’re both right! That must mean it’s time to drink!

Changing subjects to the other thread on QBs, I wonder as some people have surmised since this season can be viewed as a throwaway (nobody loses any eligibility), I wonder if they might be tempted to pick a guy and play him awhile this time. Whether we play 2 games or 11, this season will have an asterisk in it anyway.

Last year I don’t doubt Oliver showed good command of the offense in practice. Be he couldn’t make the throws in the game. So they picked the guy they thought they could win with until his performance showed otherwise. I do t mind switching players if that happens. But I don’t like rotating QBs for a series or two back and forth. I think that’s obnoxious and nobody can ever get in a rhythm and get comfortable.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I did enjoy listening but can’t imagine CGC is thrilled that KQ is speaking openly about the QB competition 🙃

Quinlan is just giving his opinion based on what he has seen. His insights on recruiting are much better than his football knowledge or insights about the current team. Grain of salt. I guarantee the staff hasn't clued him in on who will start.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If you really want our future QB to be picked because of practice performance then you definitely think differently than me. Every coach in the country picks a starting QB based on game performance not how they look in non contact practice. In two of GT’s last three games we lost by a combined 97-7. Point being, our coaches won’t know a thing until we see it in a game. Our game 1 starter last year who obviously outshined the others in non contact practice isn’t even a QB anymore. And your comment about Collins has already been disproved last season when he rotated QB’s. By my count Collins played 4 players at QB with 3 of them starting games. Collins will do the same thing this year until one steps forward. He’s already told us that.
Several true freshmen start at major programs every year. See Sam Howell and Bo Nix as recent examples. They started day one based off of their performance in spring and fall practice. This isn't that crazy of a concept. You evaluate the guys and go with who you think gives you the best chance to win. I doubt UNC is regretting their decision.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
No doubt, I take almost everything with a grain of salt in the off-season, especially something like this or a teammate hyping another teammate. Still enjoy listening and there can be takeaways that I file away. But at the end of the day, what we roll out in Tallahassee might be the exact opposite of what KQ talked about or hey maybe he hits the nail on the head...

Buuut, Coach Collins hasn’t seemed interested in saying anything about the qbs to the media. I doubt that he liked KQ’s comments if he’s heard them. Not saying CGC is losing sleep over it, not saying it’s a big deal. Just funny how loose lipped KQ was a day or 2 after CGC was adamantly against saying anything. And I’m not hating on KQ either or trying to bash him, I think he works hard like him or not.

Quinlan is just giving his opinion based on what he has seen. His insights on recruiting are much better than his football knowledge or insights about the current team. Grain of salt. I guarantee the staff hasn't clued him in on who will start.

Deleted member 2897

No doubt, I take almost everything with a grain of salt in the off-season, especially something like this or a teammate hyping another teammate. Still enjoy listening and there can be takeaways that I file away. But at the end of the day, what we roll out in Tallahassee might be the exact opposite of what KQ talked about or hey maybe he hits the nail on the head...

Buuut, Coach Collins hasn’t seemed interested in saying anything about the qbs to the media. I doubt that he liked KQ’s comments if he’s heard them. Not saying CGC is losing sleep over it, not saying it’s a big deal. Just funny how loose lipped KQ was a day or 2 after CGC was adamantly against saying anything. And I’m not hating on KQ either or trying to bash him, I think he works hard like him or not.

It’s totally his opinion (KQ) and he could be wrong. I happen to agree with him. JG is a great guy, but he was rated as an athlete and not a QB for a reason. Guys that have played QB exclusively for a long time have a big advantage of knowing plays, how to read defenses, how to react to various situations, and so on. I would be shocked if the other 3 guys weren’t all better than JG as soon as they had a good grasp of the playbook - and that’s not a knock on anybody. But from that point on, I couldn’t tell you which of the 3 end up on top.