#GTCamp20 Coverage

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Agree with everything, but would like to add that Sims is a consensus 4*. At least he is on ESPN, Rivals, and 247.
Sims is a consensus 4*.
Hate to pee in the juice, but 247 labeled him a 3*. Their composite - which weighs ESPN, Rivals, 247 - is what says he is a 4*.

1598576137251.png

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
My interpretation was that Yates, at the moment, is # 1 with the two true freshmen battling for the #2 spot. But it could be that the true freshmen are battling for #1 as you have interpreted.

From the little we’ve heard from practice this year, the biggest take away for me is they all seem to be competing for the position. Considering Graham has improved since last year from what I’ve heard as well, that means we are much better off at QB than last year. I expect multiple QBs to play cause I expect struggles from the young QBs from time to time. Hopefully the competition pushes them to be much better QBs next year.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
An absolutely ridiculous response. We have GT players not Johnson or Collins guys. If you mean I don’t want a WR playing QB anymore then call me guilty. Go ahead and anoint one QB now before we have any game film and watch the others enter the portal. The days of skilled position players sitting the bench for 2-3 years is over. Go ahead and anoint Yates or Gleason and watch Sims transfer. Or vice versa. I wish GT football was in a position to anoint 1 QB, but we are no where close to that. As was pointed out, we don’t know if any of these 4 can handle a P5 football game. Graham showed some flashes but there was a reason that Harvin has the longest highlight tape of any player last year. And come on and take off your gold colored glasses and use your brain about how competitive we will be. If we see an improved OLine and defense we’ll be somewhat competitive no matter If we rotate QB’s or not. Collins goal this year is to stop getting curb stomped week after week. Last year we were competitive in 4 games - the 3 we won and Citadel. The rest our talent wasn’t close to our competition.
Nobody is anointing anything. These guys are in a fair, hard fought competition right now. Let one of them win it. If the losers transfer, so be it. That’s their decision. If we are going to refuse to make decisions because we are scared of making the wrong one then like all leaders with that mentality, we will fail. Thankfully, I don’t actually think Collins thinks the way you seem to think he does. I think he will try to go with a guy and try to win some games this year.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
He’s a 4 star. He’s a jacket. Get on board or go home.
???? He’s not saying he’s not on board. He’s not disparaging the kid, or saying he’s not a quality he player. All he’s saying is that Sims isn’t a consensus 4 star, which is true. He was an Elite 11 finalist, as well as an All-American, but most schools who will be competing for titles also have at least one QB on their roster with those accolades as well. His point was that, while our QB room is much more talented now than it has been in probably decades, it is not elite, nor is there a clear cut “best” player. Hence him saying that the QB room is at an above-average ACC quality.

Deleted member 2897

???? He’s not saying he’s not on board. He’s not disparaging the kid, or saying he’s not a quality he player. All he’s saying is that Sims isn’t a consensus 4 star, which is true. He was an Elite 11 finalist, as well as an All-American, but most schools who will be competing for titles also have at least one QB on their roster with those accolades as well. His point was that, while our QB room is much more talented now than it has been in probably decades, it is not elite, nor is there a clear cut “best” player. Hence him saying that the QB room is at an above-average ACC quality.

That’s false. The CONSENSUS is that he is a 4-star. That’s what the composite means - it takes an average of all the ratings agencies. 1 agency of the 3 rated him a high 3-star, but the consensus is that he is a 4-star.

James Graham is also a consensus 4-star.

Jordan Yates is a consensus 3-star, but Rivals rated him a 4-star.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Can we talk about the left tackle?
We have Quinney at LT, Williams at RT, Charlie Clark is a solid backup for both spots, Jack Defoor is cross training to play if needed, and Michael Rankins will probably be the 5th guy. Not ideal depth but not an emergency and if Cochran came it would have actually be a strength of the OL.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
We have Quinney at LT, Williams at RT, Charlie Clark is a solid backup for both spots, Jack Defoor is cross training to play if needed, and Michael Rankins will probably be the 5th guy. Not ideal depth but not an emergency and if Cochran came it would have actually be a strength of the OL.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
I think CPJ is a lifelong GT supporter now and probably encourages the buy in. Buying in is the most important part.

While I agree with CPJ being a life long supporter, I don’t think he has any affiliation or relationship with the current staff and athletes at all.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck

Wing Green is also backup tackle.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
And our offensive line coach is pretty good. It may take some time but we’ll get to a good spot.

I expect our offensive line to be substantially better this year and to also show steady improvement.

/

I think we look like this across the front currently.

LT: Quinney 6’6 315
LG: Defoor 6’5 310
C: Minivan 6’3 307
RG: Johnson 6’6 325
RT: Williams 6’6 330

ATL:
Cooper 6’3 325
Clark 6’4 300
Maye 6’3 320
Spiers 6’3 298
Smith 6’5 310
Lay 6’2 305
Vaipulu 6’3
Green 6’7 300

Big boys with experience. I’m probably most excited about this unit, and anxious to see their progress and improvement.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer

ATL:
Cooper 6’3 325
Clark 6’4 300
Maye 6’3 320
Spiers 6’3 298
Smith 6’5 310
Lay 6’2 305
Vaipulu 6’3
Green 6’7 300

Big boys with experience. I’m probably most excited about this unit, and anxious to see their progress and improvement.
Im most interested to see how Paula develops. I love that mean Samoan streak he has. Im sure you saw his tapes, dude is nasty

stech81

Helluva Engineer

ATL:
Cooper 6’3 325
Clark 6’4 300
Maye 6’3 320
Spiers 6’3 298
Smith 6’5 310
Lay 6’2 305
Vaipulu 6’3
Green 6’7 300

I am also I just hope we don't have too many injuries ( that is a lot of weight on the knees )