#GTCamp20 Coverage

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The wrench is that the two freshmen qb’s are more athletic and have a better scheme fit than the two sophomores.

Gleason can make all the throws in the pocket, unlike Yates, is bigger and just as fast.
Sims has the electricity of Graham and his a more refined passer.

Sooo.......

Tom O'Brien at NC State fell in love with a 6'6 230 lb QB that had an elite arm even for NFL standards. He was so enamored with that classic tall strong armed QB that he pushed a 5'10 QB out that started for him for 3 years to move on for opportunities elsewhere.

The 6'6 QB was Mike Glennon. The 5'10 QB was Russell Wilson. I think we're all familiar with how it turned out.

I think we are all enamored with the freshmen QBs our staff signed. There's a LOT to be enamored with. However, skillsets and physical makeup are all secondary to execution and ability to make plays.

I think the QBs we have are all gifted in some way or form. Let's see how it plays out on the field.

Deleted member 2897

Clemson rotated QBs for the first several games when Trevor Lawrence was a freshman. But that was a Dabo chess move - he knew Lawrence was better, but how do you not start a guy who just took you to the championship game? Well you give the better guy enough snaps to prove to the entire world why you don’t.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Tom O'Brien at NC State fell in love with a 6'6 230 lb QB that had an elite arm even for NFL standards. He was so enamored with that classic tall strong armed QB that he pushed a 5'10 QB out that started for him for 3 years to move on for opportunities elsewhere.

The 6'6 QB was Mike Glennon. The 5'10 QB was Russell Wilson. I think we're all familiar with how it turned out.

In fairness...we'd kill for the stats Mike Glennon put up at NC State after Russell Wilson left, and he was drafted in the 3rd round. Of course Russell Wilson had a video game type year for Wisconsin and is considered a top player in the league...so we know who had the better career.

*Admittedly, this comparison doesn't account for Russell Wilson's legs.

Mike Glennon
*2011North Carolina StateACCJRQB1328345362.530546.76.93112136.4
*2012North Carolina StateACCSRQB1333056458.540317.16.93117130.7

Russell Wilson (Passing)
*2008North Carolina StateACCFRQB1115027554.519557.18.2171133.9
2009North Carolina StateACCSOQB1222437859.330278.08.33111147.8
*2010North Carolina StateACCJRQB1330852758.435636.86.62814127.5
*2011WisconsinBig TenSRQB1422530972.8317510.311.8334191.8

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
This is not directed solely to you, but your post is the last in the QB discussion.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. I hope but do not necessarily expect that we'll ride one guy in the first few games (provided we play a few games).

Our QB room is:
  1. James Graham - Redshirt Soph - 4* ATH - emphasis on athlete - we were his only P5 offer for QB, and he has 1/2 of a season of experience
  2. Jordan Yates - Redshirt Frosh - 3/4* QB - minimal game experience
  3. Jeff Sims - True Frosh - 3/4* QB
  4. Tucker Gleason - True Frosh - 3* QB
So what do we have?
  1. On the ratings, I know many like to cherry pick the recruiting site with the higher rating; I am just sharing that there is no consensus 4* QB on the roster if you consider both Rivals and 247.
  2. Lack of seasoning/experience
  3. 2nd year new scheme
  4. No consistency on the OL

Mix it all up and you get a tailor-made recipe for inconsistency and little success at the P5 level. That is coaching/scheme aside.

Now, will I psych myself up with offseason koolaid and believe that we have the second coming QB room before the first game? Absolutely. But realistically on paper we have a slightly above average ACC QB room that still needs to find its sea legs. I hope someone separates in a good way, but there aren't many examples of borderline 3/4* talent coming in game 1, making great reads and slinging it all over without far greater support.
Agree with everything, but would like to add that Sims is a consensus 4*. At least he is on ESPN, Rivals, and 247.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
In fairness...we'd kill for the stats Mike Glennon put up at NC State after Russell Wilson left, and he was drafted in the 3rd round. Of course Russell Wilson had a video game type year for Wisconsin and is considered a top player in the league...so we know who had the better career.

*Admittedly, this comparison doesn't account for Russell Wilson's legs.

Mike Glennon
*2011North Carolina StateACCJRQB1328345362.530546.76.93112136.4
*2012North Carolina StateACCSRQB1333056458.540317.16.93117130.7

Russell Wilson (Passing)
*2008North Carolina StateACCFRQB1115027554.519557.18.2171133.9
2009North Carolina StateACCSOQB1222437859.330278.08.33111147.8
*2010North Carolina StateACCJRQB1330852758.435636.86.62814127.5
*2011WisconsinBig TenSRQB1422530972.8317510.311.8334191.8
Ugh. Anyone remember 2010 when we played NC State at home? We were just coming off our 2009 season, NC State was ranked 25. I remember thinking we would handle them easily and a then unknown Russell Wilson completely destroyed us. He ran and threw all over us.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
This is not directed solely to you, but your post is the last in the QB discussion.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. I hope but do not necessarily expect that we'll ride one guy in the first few games (provided we play a few games).

Our QB room is:
  1. James Graham - Redshirt Soph - 4* ATH - emphasis on athlete - we were his only P5 offer for QB, and he has 1/2 of a season of experience
  2. Jordan Yates - Redshirt Frosh - 3/4* QB - minimal game experience
  3. Jeff Sims - True Frosh - 3/4* QB
  4. Tucker Gleason - True Frosh - 3* QB
So what do we have?
  1. On the ratings, I know many like to cherry pick the recruiting site with the higher rating; I am just sharing that there is no consensus 4* QB on the roster if you consider both Rivals and 247.
  2. Lack of seasoning/experience
  3. 2nd year new scheme
  4. No consistency on the OL

Mix it all up and you get a tailor-made recipe for inconsistency and little success at the P5 level. That is coaching/scheme aside.

Now, will I psych myself up with offseason koolaid and believe that we have the second coming QB room before the first game? Absolutely. But realistically on paper we have a slightly above average ACC QB room that still needs to find its sea legs. I hope someone separates in a good way, but there aren't many examples of borderline 3/4* talent coming in game 1, making great reads and slinging it all over without far greater support.

Sims is a consensus 4*.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Re: the QB

This is the interview that Kelly Quinlan from Rivals did yesterday on the Chuck Oliver Show. The link is from his Twitter account and not from behind a pay wall so I have no regrets sharing it. BOLD STATEMENT REGARDING THE QB COMPETITION.

So his depth chart is Sims/Gleason, Yates, and Graham?

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Ugh. Anyone remember 2010 when we played NC State at home? We were just coming off our 2009 season, NC State was ranked 25. I remember thinking we would handle them easily and a then unknown Russell Wilson completely destroyed us. He ran and threw all over us.
Made us look silly. 28-42? I think

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
That is bold! Saying Simms and Gleason are the frontrunners? I guess they have the talent, but I thought they would both redshirt to learn the offense

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You obviously don't want anyone not recruited by Collins to play anymore. That is fine. What I can't figure out is why you keep pushing this nonsense QB rotation party instead of just advocating for one of the new guys directly. Just push for Sims or Gleason to win the job. Just maybe they will develop quickly and we can be a competitive team this year. If we are rotating them along with the other two guys, we have almost no chance to be competitive and I'm not sure we will be in a better spot going into 2021. Again, there is a reason no one does this. At least, no one in the last 45 years.

An absolutely ridiculous response. We have GT players not Johnson or Collins guys. If you mean I don’t want a WR playing QB anymore then call me guilty. Go ahead and anoint one QB now before we have any game film and watch the others enter the portal. The days of skilled position players sitting the bench for 2-3 years is over. Go ahead and anoint Yates or Gleason and watch Sims transfer. Or vice versa. I wish GT football was in a position to anoint 1 QB, but we are no where close to that. As was pointed out, we don’t know if any of these 4 can handle a P5 football game. Graham showed some flashes but there was a reason that Harvin has the longest highlight tape of any player last year. And come on and take off your gold colored glasses and use your brain about how competitive we will be. If we see an improved OLine and defense we’ll be somewhat competitive no matter If we rotate QB’s or not. Collins goal this year is to stop getting curb stomped week after week. Last year we were competitive in 4 games - the 3 we won and Citadel. The rest our talent wasn’t close to our competition.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
That is bold! Saying Simms and Gleason are the frontrunners? I guess they have the talent, but I thought they would both redshirt to learn the offense

My interpretation was that Yates, at the moment, is # 1 with the two true freshmen battling for the #2 spot. But it could be that the true freshmen are battling for #1 as you have interpreted.