#GTCamp20 Coverage

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really like that CGC is putting our players on the podium and getting use to the spotlight. I know they did interviews in the past with previous staff, but this gives the players more of the "spotlight" feeling and a little pressure to speak up with all eyes on them. It will help them in the future with interviews...not just with NFL draft process, but with job interviews.

BTW...Juanyeh looks like the happiest dude ever.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Jahmyr Gibbs is gonna be scary.
Jeff Sims might be our starter...

It doesn't get mentioned enough, but Sims is an Elite 11 QB. One of the benefits of going to Elite 11 camps is the education the QBs get from the neck up. They go through pro schemes, white board work, and learn how to dissect different defensive looks..then they take that and apply it on the field.

If you watched the Elite 11 camps, Sims more than held his own out there in terms of applying those pro level concepts to the field. Dude has a rocket launcher for an arm, and he's got the ability to breakdown defenses with his legs. The stuff above the neck is what's going to separate the QBs...and I think Sims had some graduate level education before he stepped on campus. He's easily our most physically gifted QB, and if he can put all those tools together, he can be special. It's up to our coaches to utilize those tools...not just for Sims, but all our QBs.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It doesn't get mentioned enough, but Sims is an Elite 11 QB. One of the benefits of going to Elite 11 camps is the education the QBs get from the neck up. They go through pro schemes, white board work, and learn how to dissect different defensive looks..then they take that and apply it on the field.

If you watched the Elite 11 camps, Sims more than held his own out there in terms of applying those pro level concepts to the field. Dude has a rocket launcher for an arm, and he's got the ability to breakdown defenses with his legs. The stuff above the neck is what's going to separate the QBs...and I think Sims had some graduate level education before he stepped on campus. He's easily our most physically gifted QB, and if he can put all those tools together, he can be special. It's up to our coaches to utilize those tools...not just for Sims, but all our QBs.
I wasn't familiar with the camps (just looked them up) and agree they seem legit. Hope they help him and all the guys in the room.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@Techster You’re dead on with Sims. All I’ll add is I hope we don’t rush him. He may need a year to ripen before he’s thrown head on into the mix. Many a young man have been ruined forcing responsibilities upon them before they were ready. Not saying one approach or kid is necessarily a better choice than another but how this gets handled will likely define CGC’s entire tenure. It’s why he gets the big bucks.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

@Techster You’re dead on with Sims. All I’ll add is I hope we don’t rush him. He may need a year to ripen before he’s thrown head on into the mix. Many a young man have been ruined forcing responsibilities upon them before they were ready. Not saying one approach or kid is necessarily a better choice than another but how this gets handled will likely define CGC’s entire tenure. It’s why he gets the big bucks.

Following him since his commitment, you can tell how much work he puts in. This guy is dedicated to being a proper QB and not just relying on his physical tools to get it done. That makes me think it might take a little longer to get there but his ceiling is way higher. Seeing his approach to the game makes me think of Lamar Jackson. His build obviously helps make that comparison, but I'm referring to his actual game. Sims doesn't have Lamar's wheels, but then again no one else ever has (even Vick or Johnny Football at the college level), so he can't ride a busted zone read to a Heisman as a freshman. But Lamar dedicated himself to learning to be a QB instead of an athlete. That meant he didn't really get better results overall in college than when he was relying on raw athleticism, but he's worked his way to NFL MVP with plenty of room for growth from there. Totally different body, different system, and different pro potential, but Lil Joe is another who had the lights turn on when he could start connecting what he was learning with his muscle memory.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
@Techster @LibertyTurns I couldn't agree more here. This is where the team first, everyone ready gets snaps will really help us in my opinion. If you can show a kid with film why they need to develop AND have a team full of guys, both old heads and young gun studs, saying "coach got us in when we were ready" that helps alot.

ETA @YJMD I see you too - there (just we posted at the same time). Agree with the slower but higher ceiling commentary.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the Sims/Gibbs combo moving forward because I really liked what I saw in high school and the all star games they participated in. It will be dynamic when they both get in the game simultaneously. Obviously competition is good so may the best rise to the top.