#GTCamp15

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ken Suguira: "What have you seen out of Christian Philpott?"
Paul Johnson: "Uh, he's been running around in a red shirt for about a week."
(inaudible)
Ken Suguira: "Is that a long term..."
Paul Johnson: "Shouldn't be. Hopefully he'll be back Monday--we'll see--if not sooner."

Source: http://traffic.libsyn.com/gtathletics/cpj811.m4a
When asked about Gary Brown coach said (paraphrasing) "I dunno, he's been in a red shirt." When asked why, CPJ said "I dunno, he chose it himself..."

Coach sounds perturbed about lack of toughness in several players.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Thus far in camp (this is reading tea leaves), compared to last year, I'd say we are ahead of the curve on D and behind it on O. And last year coach gave praise for working hard, fighting thru the heat of practice etc, that I haven't seen repeated much this year. So maybe behind the curve on intensity.

Is this the same babyjacket that's convinced our D will suck this year?....or did someone hack the account? :p
Please point out in my post where I wrote our D will suck. I said they need to be improved for this team to continue the success from last year. Our O is going to struggle at times and when they do, the D needs to pick up the slack. Everyone has come to that agreement days ago. If we don't create some type of pass rush GT could be in for a long season(that's my opinion). If you honestly believe this team is going to steam roll everybody than you should listen to CPJ interview from Tuesday practice. Pretty much told the reporters something along the lines of " Y'all have already made them National Chmaps" I think some of the posters on this board are still in the high clouds from last season but have really evaluated the team to the core. Do I think we can be good and create that pass rush ? Absolutely I do but until I see it , I'm not going to give that position group any praise.

21 days can not get here fast enough !

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I will say that CPJ is usually in a better mood when the team is practicing or playing well. I think it is a safe assumption that overall our jackets need to step it up. However, I am not really worried about it. This is pretty normal.
Random CPJ quotes from a few days back: We have a long way to go but that is what practice is for. I am not worried. We'll get there. Practice is a long time. They will have plenty of time to get it.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Freshmen info has been silent on T Marshall, Howell, B Morgan, Glanton, S Morgan, Henderson, Sellers, Curry, Alexander, Mitchell, Cooksie, Wigley, Dotson, and Walker. Heard very little on Gray (CPJ says he's doing OK), ST Amour (CPJ says a freshman DE may play), Philpott (wearing a red shirt for about a week), and Jarrett (RS according to CPJ)). We have heard more on Bryan, Campbell, Weimerskirch, L-Davis, M Marshall, and Stewart which all seems to be positive. Any other info I missed other than Cottrell's injury?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Please point out in my post where I wrote our D will suck. I said they need to be improved for this team to continue the success from last year. Our O is going to struggle at times and when they do, the D needs to pick up the slack. Everyone has come to that agreement days ago. If we don't create some type of pass rush GT could be in for a long season(that's my opinion). If you honestly believe this team is going to steam roll everybody than you should listen to CPJ interview from Tuesday practice. Pretty much told the reporters something along the lines of " Y'all have already made them National Chmaps" I think some of the posters on this board are still in the high clouds from last season but have really evaluated the team to the core. Do I think we can be good and create that pass rush ? Absolutely I do but until I see it , I'm not going to give that position group any praise.

As maligned as our D was last year they still came up with timely plays to allow the O to pull it out, Pick 6 and White interception at 2 minute mark vs VT. The lateral vs GSU, at UGA, Clemson Pick 6 (two pick 6?). It is a team sport and we need both. If D had been better over all may not have needed some of those plays. But Our O was not that great first part of last year so doubt it will be this year to start. JT5 will make up some of difference but will take a while for the skill position people to get in sync. So the D needs to keep us in the game and get some more stops. 3 weeks Go Jackets!! THWG

As maligned as our D was last year they still came up with timely plays to allow the O to pull it out, Pick 6 and White interception at 2 minute mark vs VT. The lateral vs GSU, at UGA, Clemson Pick 6 (two pick 6?). It is a team sport and we need both. If D had been better over all may not have needed some of those plays. But Our O was not that great first part of last year so doubt it will be this year to start. JT5 will make up some of difference but will take a while for the skill position people to get in sync. So the D needs to keep us in the game and get some more stops. 3 weeks Go Jackets!! THWG
Pretty much said the same thing I have been saying for a week. We need that D line to step up to the plate this year.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
From AJC 5 Camp Notes with DB Coach Joe Speed:

Lynn Griffin and Lawrence Austin are fighting for the starting nickel back job
four starting spots – Jamal Golden at free safety, Smith at strong safety and D.J. White and Chris Milton at the corners – are fairly decided

Possible third safeties are Shaun Kagawa, Corey Griffin and John Marvin. Speed noted in particular that Marvin has been having a good camp. Incoming freshman A.J. Gray, is “coming along,”

The three first-year freshman cornerbacks – Meiko Dotson, Dorian Walker and Dante Wigley – are in the mix, Speed said. It sounds as though all three are facing the tall challenge of learning the playbook on the run

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

four starting spots – Jamal Golden at free safety, Smith at strong safety and D.J. White and Chris Milton at the corners – are fairly decided

Possible third safeties are Shaun Kagawa, Corey Griffin and John Marvin. Speed noted in particular that Marvin has been having a good camp. Incoming freshman A.J. Gray, is “coming along,”

he three first-year freshman cornerbacks – Meiko Dotson, Dorian Walker and Dante Wigley – are in the mix, Speed said. It sounds as though all three are facing the tall challenge of learning the playbook on the run

I think our secondary is going to be a great mix of physicality and intelligence. Golden's leadership back there with high-IQ guys like White, athletes like Milton, and hitters like Griffin? Boom.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

The three first-year freshman cornerbacks – Meiko Dotson, Dorian Walker and Dante Wigley – are in the mix, Speed said. It sounds as though all three are facing the tall challenge of learning the playbook on the run

Lance Austin?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Was just pulling your leg because you have been arguing the "show me first" side of things regarding the D. Which I think is a legitimate take btw.

Was just pulling your leg because you have been arguing the "show me first" side of things regarding the D. Which I think is a legitimate take btw.
I do think we have the guys to another great season but damn all this praise of the D line is getting out of control. I'm just ready for the season to start and for that position group to show the world they are much improved. I'm not going to give them praise until they prove themselves. I think they will have some good games but will struggle in other games(what team doesn't)?

September 3 can not get here fast enough !

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What happened to Domonique Noble? He played a lot in 2013 in the secondary, not much last year, and not mentioned at all in this article and here it is his senior season. RR bio says he is at LB, but I assume that is really the nickel position as Demond Smith was listed as LB in depth charts last season.

Good question. I suspect he's in actual LB competition.

Yella-Britches

Georgia Tech Fan
"...But our O was not that great first part of last year so doubt it will be this year to start..."
my concern is ball security with the new group of skill players - not great HOLDING ONTO THE BALL is OK in my book, but PLEASE HOLD ONTO THAT BALL!!
Don't give away possessions - that can be a killer. :cautious:
Go Jackets!!
THWG!!!