#GTCamp15

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
For those of who who have watched a few CPJ practices.

What group does CPJ spend the most time with? DOes he bop around all over the position groups or like other "Offensive genius coaches" does he spend most of time with the QBs?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

What group does CPJ spend the most time with? DOes he bop around all over the position groups or like other "Offensive genius coaches" does he spend most of time with the QBs?

spends most of his time in the backfield observing the O. He walks around...but he is the OC....so no doubt, spends most of his time with the O. Within the O, he observes the QB's a ton....but the O is so much a unit for us...the BB, AB are always with the QBs...he is with them all....but clearly the qB is huge portion.

He will bop into the D in unit drills...doesn't get involved too much...or really at the position level....his D comments are in the film/coaches room more than the field....

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I may be reading too much into it, but I think Paul really likes this team. He is moving a lot of folks around to figure out how the puzzle best fits. This is a luxury we have not had in a long time. Having a lot of guys that play at a high level and compete fiercely for a starting spot is great problem to have. I know he seems disgruntled, but I think there may be a chesire cat grin underneath that skowl.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Just a random thought. I am really impressed with what we are hearing (or not hearing) about our WRs. That was my biggest concern on offense. I think we have some young guys that might be better than we expected. I don't think anyone really expected a competition for the starting WR spots. I figured it would be RJ and MS all the way. It likely will still be those guys, but the fact that there is competition bodes well for the future.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer

He seems to favor the O-Line more

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Jabari will help us this year. Of that I have no doubt. I'm gonna take a stab at reading between the lines here a little...no insider info here so take it for what it's worth. But I think the lack of....praise for JHD...is two pronged. I think it's in part a message being sent that starting isn't being gift wrapped to him just because he's eligible. There was also some mention somewhere here about JHD being out of position some in practice. If he just plays hog wild, and not assignment football, his pt will be limited.

End of wild speculation. :)
Not wild speculation at all. CPJ said that JHD is really quick and doing some good things. He also said, however, he was pulling stuff that would get us killed in real competition. And he has a lot to learn. Clearly Jabari has got to make progress this off season like everyone else.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer

Practice is split into 16-24 5-minute periods with different drills. CPJ is on the field for 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 portions behind the offensive (similar to what you see in the spring game and scrimmages). Otherwise, he's on the sidelines observing with a few of his staffers and lets the assistant coaches run position/unit drills for the most part.

Most of his commentary comes in staff meetings or film sessions rather than practice, which is smart and efficient. The team is spread out over three fields, so trying to get his hands on everything every single practice is fruitless. During game week, he might dial up his involvement if needed. My opinion is that one of the advantages of CPJ's experience level is that he's not trying to do too much and screw things up by micro-managing. His demeanor and approach to practice is probably different than perception.

The ESPNU all-access last year provided a good overview of practice.

I do find it amusing to read stuff from the two "insider" guys on the other boards. They have never stepped foot in a practice. They are just taking all the stuff you see posted by GTAA online and passing it off as if they saw it themselves.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Coach is pretty much saying similar things this year. My memory may not be accurate but....CPJ's tone sounds a bit grumpier this year. Maybe that's because he doesn't like the effort and results as much. Maybe it's because his standards and expectations for this year's team is higher. Maybe it's just my memory playing tricks on me.

Edit: maybe he's just tired of answering the same damn questions over n over n over :whistle: