GT win out?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
By no means am I saying this will happen, but I figured I would put some things into perspective for some. I have seen talk from fans about how we are not good after last night and we are either looking at a season like 2015 or 6 or 7 wins top. As Aaron Rodgers would say R-E-L-A-X. We just lost to a Clemson team that played for the national championship this past season. And I wouldn't be surprised that if we would have played this same Clemson team in 2014 like we did duke that year, they would have done the same thing to us as they did last night, yet we know how that season turned out. Now, let me back track as to why we have the ability to win out. We just held a very talented Clemson offense to 26 points, and no I do not believe they pulled up. You don't leave a star QB in the game and keep passing with 45 seconds if you are pulling up. We were getting more pressure after adjustments were made, that's what adjustments are for, to stop the other team, and we were getting hits on Watson which as a coach you don't allow Just because you want to pull up. We also played tighter coverage and didn't give 7 yard cushions as much if I'm not mistaken, that was the big difference (rant over). We won't play another offense that is as talented as Clemson in the regular season imo, so there is pretty good hope for defense if we can play like we did in the second half of the Clemson game. For our offense we will be fine, we put up 38 on vandy, which I do not believe we will play many other teams with a better D, most will be on par or a little less than what vandy is on D. So let's think about this we won't play another offense as good as Clemson and we only have up 26 yet most teams we play against will be around what vandy was on D and we put up 38, you do the math. I know this is football and any given day you can do bad on defense or offense, but my point of this post is to show that we have the ability to win every single game from here on out, and to get better every game. Dont forget about how we looked early in 2014 compared to late in 2014.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think our next two games will be our hardest games. Not sure what to think about VT. To answer your question yes we could win out but would not bet on it.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully this game is a wake up call like Duke and unc were for us in 2014. We will learn a lot about this team next game

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
By no means am I saying this will happen, but I figured I would put some things into perspective for some. I have seen talk from fans about how we are not good after last night and we are either looking at a season like 2015 or 6 or 7 wins top. As Aaron Rodgers would say R-E-L-A-X. We just lost to a Clemson team that played for the national championship this past season. And I wouldn't be surprised that if we would have played this same Clemson team in 2014 like we did duke that year, they would have done the same thing to us as they did last night, yet we know how that season turned out. Now, let me back track as to why we have the ability to win out. We just held a very talented Clemson offense to 26 points, and no I do not believe they pulled up. You don't leave a star QB in the game and keep passing with 45 seconds if you are pulling up. We were getting more pressure after adjustments were made, that's what adjustments are for, to stop the other team, and we were getting hits on Watson which as a coach you don't allow Just because you want to pull up. We also played tighter coverage and didn't give 7 yard cushions as much if I'm not mistaken, that was the big difference (rant over). We won't play another offense that is as talented as Clemson in the regular season imo, so there is pretty good hope for defense if we can play like we did in the second half of the Clemson game. For our offense we will be fine, we put up 38 on vandy, which I do not believe we will play many other teams with a better D, most will be on par or a little less than what vandy is on D. So let's think about this we won't play another offense as good as Clemson and we only have up 26 yet most teams we play against will be around what vandy was on D and we put up 38, you do the math. I know this is football and any given day you can do bad on defense or offense, but my point of this post is to show that we have the ability to win every single game from here on out, and to get better every game. Dont forget about how we looked early in 2014 compared to late in 2014.

Well, that is the beauty of sports. We never know what might happen.
But I fear your analysis might be based too much on what our opponents might do, instead of what WE are going to do to change things.
And I think history has shown us what is most likely to happen. Or not happen.

But who knows.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
You never know what could happen. We just know the next opponent is the miami hurrilames. Lets beat them. Yall remember who their coach is right?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The ol is young (except saint freddie) has played hard and is nicked up.
It has only younger (just out of high school) back ups'
We have a long season to go and no ol depth to draw on.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm still in the camp of I don't know what we have or will have in this team. That's the beauty of the game.

As I said in chat, the rest of the season hinges on this next game. Win it and we are in the hunt for Coastal at 2-1 in ACC. Lose it and our ceiling is a bowl game as we'd have two ACC losses in three games. UNC and VT are supposed to be tougher opponents for us than Da U in BDS. http://www.atomicfootball.com/archive/teams/tm_9.html

As to winning out, ~1% chance. Don't bet the house on it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Do you think we pulled up on offense in 2014 vs Ga Southern? Of course not. Kids get up big and let down emotionally, psychologically, whatever you want to call it. It happens all the time. The coaches didn't want them to or make game plan changes, it just happened.

Yes, we made adjustments on D, but that wasn't the whole story. Watson wasn't nearly as sharp and I think he wasn't the only one.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Guys, Clemson has a good team. Ease off on our guys. Who among us really thought we would undefeated?

To play devil's advocate, I think you would have seen a different tone if we had lost 27 - 20 with some semblance of productivity on O. It wasn't the loss. It was the efficiency (or lack thereof). Clempson indeed is a good team.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
The ol is young (except saint freddie) has played hard and is nicked up.
It has only younger (just out of high school) back ups'
We have a long season to go and no ol depth to draw on.
I thought that was our mantra last year? We're young! we've had injuries! Just wait till we get everyone back, and the young kids get expierience1

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I thought that was our mantra last year? We're young! we've had injuries! Just wait till we get everyone back, and the young kids get expierience1
Last year, we were young and inexperienced in the skill positions, sans qb. The OL had some grizzled veterans. I think they just played bad, but they were beset with injuries, too. When Will Bryan and Trey Klock were forced into the mix, then we were a mix of youth and experience.

I'm not too worried about this year's OL, yet, but they need to get some stuff fixed pronto. Our biggest issue Thur night was being dominated physically.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to win out and go 1-0 every week the rest of the year. That's how our coaches, players and fans should be looking at it. I will say, we won't face talent disparity like we faced against Clemmons the rest of the year...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

As was said, last year the youth complaint was about skill positions. More to the point, the shocker was that the OL had a lot of experience but played poorly as a unit over all.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not gonna think about winning out right now. Although I like our chances vs UGA the way they've been playing.

Also with Miami , I obviously would prefer us blow them out , but I'd take a 1 point win to get the confidence back.

Honestly, even if we lose as long as we're moving the ball and look good I'll feel ok about our season moving forward. If we have another game where we look like we can't do anything on offense again I'll be worried.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Keep this in mind, guys. The option is VERY complicated, and we usually see the greatest success when we have a high volume of experience on offense. Look up and down the roster and tell me how many guys are in their 3rd year of getting major reps or starting? After Justin Thomas and Freddie Burden... who? Devine and Andrew Marshall are it, guys. Jeune is really only in year 2, JJ Green year 1, Willis year 2... just about everyone else is a freshman or sophomore. This is a VERY young team overall on offense and we will see lumps and struggles while they learn on the job. We can hope they will progress quickly, but it just takes time.

In 2018, we're going to have a VERY deep, VERY experienced team because at least 15 of the current guys on our 2-deep will still be with the team. That's not counting talented guys that are not yet in the 2-deep and future signees, that's just the current 2-deep.

Talent still here in 2018
QB: Matthew Jordan and TaQuon Marshall
AB: Searcy and Lynch
BB: Mills and Marshall
WR: Stewart, Howell, MLD
OL: Will Bryan, Brad Morgan, Kenny Cooper, Parker Braun, Trey Klock, Jake Stickler, Jahaizel Lee

That's 16 guys that are in the 2-deep (Marshall the only exception) that will get another 20+ games of experience this year and next going into 2018.

Point being, be realistic and be patient... it takes a long time to understand the deeper points of this offense.