GT vs. Syracuse - Saturday, 6pm ET ESPN2

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anybody notice how good a passer Haywood is in the halfcourt. That in addition to his shooting being on last night really helps the offense. Even in the first half when he didn't score he had some fantastic passes. The team had a 1 pt lead at half even though they only had 1 made three - that was due to good movement and passing (which is how you defeat a zone, not by shooting over it). He has really good court vision. If he had a stronger handle he could be a big PG.
He leads the team in assists per min and asst/TO ratio. Also leads the team in steals per min.

Pastner and his assts have been better game coaches than recruiting coaches so far. They are on about their 3rd offensive system of the year. With AD and Banks both playing they are playing sort of a 3-2 offense with a fair bit of high/low between AD and Banks. AD showed the ability to play like this last season, glad to see it return. I can't fathom why big men don't seem to flock here. The work Coach Rev does with our bigs is outstanding. Lammers became an all-ACC player, AD went from the player I thought was most likely to transfer when Pastner arrived to an ACC level player.

Cole also makes the offense flow better than Moses does right now. He is a better shooter and Evan may be the best cutter on the team.

We really have to work on our ballhandling though. Some of that is youth, but we are just too loose with the ball. We were not smart against the press. I would have placed a tall guy (probably Cole) at the FT line. Throw into him (not to a guard in the corner) and then run the guards, including the inbounder. This would not allow them to double after the inbounds pass and give you a potential run out.

Alvarado was yelling at other guys but some of the bad passes were on him. Glad to see him returning to his ACC form from last year though. I sort of figure over time Jose and Devoe are likely to return to the mean. Jose shot almost 39% from three last season - no reason for him to be shooting in the 20's. Devoe shot 52% from 3 last year in HS.

FWIW, I expect a Jekyll and Hyde team most of this season. We are going to have games like this and we are going to have games where we lose and don't look good and it may not come either way against who we expect. That should be expected of such a young team (in our 3 ACC games our FR and SO have gotten 65% of the min and that was with Haywood missing a game)

That being said the stats are looking much more similar to Pastner's first season. Right now our Offensive efficiency is 101.5 (#204) and our defensive efficiency is 90.7 (#10) with an adjusted tempo of 69.8 possessions per game (#142).
In 2017 it was 100.0 (#259), 91.0 (#6), 68.2 (#179). Biggest difference is luck factor in 2017 it was +0.069 (#26), this year it is -0.093 (#324).

"The easiest one to understand is Luck, which is the deviation in winning percentage between a team’s actual record and their expected record using the correlated gaussian method. The luck factor has nothing to do with the rating calculation, but a team that is very lucky (positive numbers) will tend to be rated lower by my system than their record would suggest."
So basically 2 years ago our record was better than what the stats would have suggested, this year it is the reverse.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Great win. I hope for enough wins to allow CJP to get some traction recruiting. NIT will be a real reach given the OOC. The get old, stay old plan will only happen with some more wins.

Agree. And don't even try to explain to nationalists that Puerto Ricans are Americans.
Mexicans consider themselves Americans too. They're insulted when we refer to ourselves as Americans and them as not.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Mexicans consider themselves Americans too. They're insulted when we refer to ourselves as Americans and them as not.
Amen. When I was working in Central and South America I heard a lot of comments about "Americans" not being limited to the USA. But, the strange thing about that racist slur was that Jose is not Mexican. It just displays the ignorance in some people.

GT11

GT Athlete
While we played well against the zone, I think the difference was actually our ability to get out in transition. We had 9 transition points in the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half when we went on the difference-making run. So many turning defense into offense opportunities. We forced Syracuse into 19 turnovers. I think those easy buckets gave us confidence and got us flowing the rest of the way.
That’s coaching. He’s said from the first time he arrived he wanted to run. He’s getting the players to do that, but then needed time to develop, which they now are. Combine with an aggressive defense is going to be fun to watch. But, with uptempo pace, at times you will see them get out of control. This should improve as they get more comfortable. You can only simulate so much in practice

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
This game was a real joy to watch, sans the late shaky press break and confidence-lacking Devoe FTs. I posted in early Dec to play faster, I’m sure we all felt this with a NY point guard, a crafty lefty combo guard who sees players open before they know they are, and 3point shooters that need space. Plus we have no late clock shot maker so 1/2 court sets can be painful. Applause to CJP, Rev and staff for implementing. I fully understand some nights this will implode with sh*tload of TOs, horrible 3point %, and blowout losses. That I’m ok with. This style changes culture, frames out need for energy players, and creates attention for GT as a relevant program that also attacks and plays to win; not a group that goes through the chore of 30 seconds of offense so they can get back to defense. Now, let’s continue and do what Bama couldn’t, squash the National Champion, Clemson.

https://gtswarm.com/threads/gt-hoops-general-topics.3664/page-79#post-503898

Deleted member 2897

Clemson has lost 3 in a row. That could be disastrous for us (if they come out and play really hard and focused). Or it could be good for us (they give up and play like they don’t care). Their effort in our game will say a lot about the rest of their season and indirectly about Brownell’s ability to motivate

Many Clemson fans hve wanted Brownell gone a long time ago. They’re frustrated that keeps winning just enough here and there to stick around.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Many Clemson fans hve wanted Brownell gone a long time ago. They’re frustrated that keeps winning just enough here and there to stick around.

Yup. Big problem is that their fanbase doesn't really care about hoops. As long as Dabo is winning nattys, they're not going to change their IPTAY donations because of hoops.

Deleted member 2897

Maybe I should watch more games on my iPhone? I really couldn’t believe we didn’t have one of those patented GT moments where we let the other team score 15 straight points to get back in it.

Pastner continues to confound me. Is he going to be the guy we love to hate or the guy we hate to love? Looks like it’s a solid trend over 3 years towards the latter.

There are 2 main themes to me this year:
1) Losing Okogie
2) Having players like Haywood and Alvarado miss significant time last year due to injuries.

The result is we have Haywood, Alvarado, Devoe, Moore, Banks, etc. it’s really the first year they’ve all played together. Typically that means wild variability early in the season, and improvement along the way. I’m hoping that pans out for us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good to see Haywood starting to round the corner. I said the other day that Haywood seemed "off" this season, but he is coming back from an injury. He opens a lot of space for us with his shot. As RR pointed out earlier, CGC is sneaky good with other parts of his game.

We're starting to see Banks raise his ceiling. TBH, I wasn't that impressed with him early, but something seems to have clicked with him recently and at times he looks like a different guy from the one we saw early in the season. The guy from the Wake and Syracuse game is the one we need on the court in the ACC.

If you look at our season stats, we have 1 guy that averages double figures (Alvarado 13.9 ppg) and 4 guys on the cusp of double figures (Banks 9.7 ppg, Alston 9.6 ppg, Devoe 8.8 ppg, Haywood 8.3 ppg). That's 5 guys you have to be honest with on defense, and takes away pressure from Alvarado to carry the scoring. We don't have an out and out scorer, so it's good that any of the 5 can have a good night if 1-2 are having an off night.

Want to know who's been sneaky good as well? Evan Cole. Played 15 mins against Wake, and had 9pts 4rebs 2blks. Only played 6 mins and was a nonfactor against VT. Against Syracuse he played 20 mins and had 8pts 8 rebs. Seems to be productive the more minutes he plays...and this team could use a big who's minutes are matched with production. He's also very active and willing to do dirty work...which I LOVE.

IMO, it's just a matter of this team playing together more and getting use to each other. We're not going to out talent many teams (if any) in the ACC, so we have to be the sum of our parts. Remember, Haywood and Alvarado were injured, Devoe is a true freshmen, and Banks is a transfer. That's 4/5 guys we depend to get our points that are still getting back to form from injury, or getting use to playing new teammates.

I'm just glad we're playing good ball as the ACC schedule started. Season outlook now is different than a couple of weeks ago. Keep it going!

Deleted member 2897

Good to see Haywood starting to round the corner. I said the other day that Haywood seemed "off" this season, but he is coming back from an injury. He opens a lot of space for us with his shot. As RR pointed out earlier, CGC is sneaky good with other parts of his game.

We're starting to see Banks raise his ceiling. TBH, I wasn't that impressed with him early, but something seems to have clicked with him recently and at times he looks like a different guy from the one we saw early in the season. The guy from the Wake and Syracuse game is the one we need on the court in the ACC.

If you look at our season stats, we have 1 guy that averages double figures (Alvarado 13.9 ppg) and 4 guys on the cusp of double figures (Banks 9.7 ppg, Alston 9.6 ppg, Devoe 8.8 ppg, Haywood 8.3 ppg). That's 5 guys you have to be honest with on defense, and takes away pressure from Alvarado to carry the scoring. We don't have an out and out scorer, so it's good that any of the 5 can have a good night if 1-2 are having an off night.

Want to know who's been sneaky good as well? Evan Cole. Played 15 mins against Wake, and had 9pts 4rebs 2blks. Only played 6 mins and was a nonfactor against VT. Against Syracuse he played 20 mins and had 8pts 8 rebs. Seems to be productive the more minutes he plays...and this team could use a big who's minutes are matched with production. He's also very active and willing to do dirty work...which I LOVE.

IMO, it's just a matter of this team playing together more and getting use to each other. We're not going to out talent many teams (if any) in the ACC, so we have to be the sum of our parts. Remember, Haywood and Alvarado were injured, Devoe is a true freshmen, and Banks is a transfer. That's 4/5 guys we depend to get our points that are still getting back to form from injury, or getting use to playing new teammates.

I'm just glad we're playing good ball as the ACC schedule started. Season outlook now is different than a couple of weeks ago. Keep it going!

At the VPISU pregame, coach had the big men doing some inside rebound stickback drills where they were all just tap backs off the glass. Sure enough thats what he did that game and went 1 for 5, missing several opportunities for dunks. You play the way you practice, I wonder if in the Syracuse pregame drills if they had them dunking those, or at least dropping them in the basket.

The last time we made a long run in the tourney, we did it by having like 6 guys who averaged over 9 ppg. As a defense, that's tough.

I'm seeing the same things you are - its basically like we have an entirely new team with Banks transferring, playing 2 freshmen, and Haywood and Alvardo having been injured a lot last year.

BTW, Cole did something I missed early at VPISU - maybe it wasn't hustling for a rebound or something, but CJP was all in his business hot and heavy. Likely the reason he didn't see the court much that day.

slugboy

Staff member
There are 2 main themes to me this year:
1) Losing Okogie
2) Having players like Haywood and Alvarado miss significant time last year due to injuries.

The result is we have Haywood, Alvarado, Devoe, Moore, Banks, etc. it’s really the first year they’ve all played together. Typically that means wild variability early in the season, and improvement along the way. I’m hoping that pans out for us.

In a way, we lost Okogie twice. First, he left early. Second, he left early, but late—too late to backfill his spot with another player.
We didn’t just lose a talented player, we also lost someone who probably would have been our senior leadership this season. Jose seems to be in that role as a sophomore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
In a way, we lost Okogie twice. First, he left early. Second, he left early, but late—too late to backfill his spot with another player.
We didn’t just lose a talented player, we also lost someone who probably would have been our senior leadership this season. Jose seems to be in that role as a sophomore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
@RyanS12 time to post about the pool!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Agree. And don't even try to explain to nationalists that Puerto Ricans are Americans.

Still, that's probably easier than trying to explain to America-Haters the difference between nationalists and white-nationalists.

Getting back to basketball, I thought we had a really good game plan. We beat their zone with solid play from both Banks and AD so that when we needed 3s from CGB and Jose, they were more open.

Also, CJP was channelling his inner Bobby with his leaps and big hand waves. Great to see, and I think it helped to keep energy up.