GT vs. Syracuse - Saturday, 6pm ET ESPN2

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, cause poor Duke can't recruit well enough to have a bench.
I found it hilarious that the announcers were saying duke was losing because their role players weren’t used to playing so many minutes so they were tired because their games aren’t usually close!! Poor duke!!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The official announcement from Duke: "Tre Jones suffered an acromioclavicular (AC) joint separation Monday night against Syracuse. He will be sidelined “indefinitely."

Depending on how bad it is, he will have his arm immobilized for several weeks while the ligaments heal enough for gentle movements. Then he will begin passive PT to keep the shoulder flexible. Then, after maybe 6-8 weeks, he can begin strength and active ROM exercises. I had shoulder surgery in 2018 and it is not a piece of cake in recovery and therapy. The biggest danger in coming back early is re-injury. I think he is done for the year.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
The official announcement from Duke: "Tre Jones suffered an acromioclavicular (AC) joint separation Monday night against Syracuse. He will be sidelined “indefinitely."

Depending on how bad it is, he will have his arm immobilized for several weeks while the ligaments heal enough for gentle movements. Then he will begin passive PT to keep the shoulder flexible. Then, after maybe 6-8 weeks, he can begin strength and active ROM exercises. I had shoulder surgery in 2018 and it is not a piece of cake in recovery and therapy. The biggest danger in coming back early is re-injury. I think he is done for the year.
We all need to keep in mind though, that at Duke "indefinitely" means "for precisely one game"...

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boeheim was asked to explain the difference in Syracuse's performance tonight (Duke) vs. Saturday (GT). Follow-up question was about the intensity in each game. I think folks will like his response.

If someone like Boeheim gives props to our zone defense, you shut up and listen!! Simply as that.

That gives me a tremendous amount of hope moving forward. Maybe aside from Duke, I think that we can beat any team in the ACC.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If someone like Boeheim gives props to our zone defense, you shut up and listen!! Simply as that.

That gives me a tremendous amount of hope moving forward. Maybe aside from Duke, I think that we can beat any team in the ACC.

I would throw UVA in there too. In fact until Duke gets some folks back I would put UVA higher - Jones is a huge part of their pressure man D that they live and die by.

But your point holds - for the rest of the ACC if we play the same sort of defense we have so far in the ACC, we will be in close games which gives us a chance. One caveat, SYR for whatever reason really didn't target corner jumpers the way VT did - which is the "weakness" of the zone we play. I do expect teams to really focus on getting those shots which can give us trouble. Regardless, we are playing much better than I thought we would at this point.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Boeheim was asked to explain the difference in Syracuse's performance tonight (Duke) vs. Saturday (GT). Follow-up question was about the intensity in each game. I think folks will like his response.

I think the only thing I would've liked to hear Boeheim say is that them shooting 7-33 was at least partly because of our good defense. They missed some open looks and so did we. But for the most part there just weren't many easy shots to make.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think the only thing I would've liked to hear Boeheim say is that them shooting 7-33 was at least partly because of our good defense. They missed some open looks and so did we. But for the most part there just weren't many easy shots to make.
I think that linkage was implicit in his rant. Boeheim just jumped from A to C without stating the B i.e., "why". His point was we have a really good defense/zone and it affected a top 10 team. I totally agree.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Re: good zones, I think what most surprised me about Syracuse's zone vs. GT is that they didn't pack in, dig down on Gueye+bigs, and cheat to high post and force GT to hit 3's. Last night vs. Duke, the guards and wings adjusted into baiting/begging Zion, Barrett and White to shoot 3's once they realized they could not stop Duke's inside game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Re: good zones, I think what most surprised me about Syracuse's zone vs. GT is that they didn't pack in, dig down on Gueye+bigs, and cheat to high post and force GT to hit 3's. Last night vs. Duke, the guards and wings adjusted into baiting/begging Zion, Barrett and White to shoot 3's once they realized they could not stop Duke's inside game.
Agree. And, while White and O'Connell are decent players, they are not Jones and Reddish. I also think Duke seemed a bit tentative without those two and that gave the Cuse D all the advantage they needed.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Agree. And, while White and O'Connell are decent players, they are not Jones and Reddish. I also think Duke seemed a bit tentative without those two and that gave the Cuse D all the advantage they needed.
And I assume by "gave Cuse D all the advantage they needed", you really mean that losing Reddish and Jones helped close some of the gap in Duke's advantage. Duke was "limited" to the #1 and #2 NBA draft picks, along with another 5*, a 4* and a team captain as their best five... at home.

Last edited:

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

The digging down was definitely more pronounced against Duke but he also switched his center - Chukwu for Dolezaj. Daolezaj played 28 min against us and Chukwu only about 15 - mostly in the second half. Against Duke Chukwu went for 28 min and Dolezaj only 12. Chukwu came up with 10 pts and a huge 18 rebounds against Duke. AD scored most of his points on Dolezaj who really didn't defend like a center, Chukwu is obviously much more of a classic defensive center in his 2-3 zone.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That is correct. Poor Duke.

That said, even the great Coach K likely has had very few practice sessions where Williamson and Barrett had play without both Reddish and Jones on the floor. It looked like White and O'Connell were just taking up space most of the time, so I bet they were told to defer the two NBA guys.