GT vs. Syracuse - Saturday, 6pm ET ESPN2

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have been a Dan Dakich fan for a while now. He is really good. My wife, who does not understand the fine points of basketball, says he points out stuff that helps her see why the game is so complex. Yesterday was vintage Dakich.

I said in another thread that we needed to win all the winnable games to make the post season. We are 2 for 2 right now and almost snatched one from the list we are supposed to lose. CJP has the team playing really well right now.

Which ACC team has a better PG than Jose?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I have been a Dan Dakich fan for a while now. He is really good. My wife, who does not understand the fine points of basketball, says he points out stuff that helps her see why the game is so complex. Yesterday was vintage Dakich.
He’s really only one of a very few good ones left. If it had been a Dickey V game I would’ve turned off the volume and listened on the gameday app. I caught the last 5 min of FSU and Duke and told myself I hope he never does another one of our games again! Dipsey doo, dunk a roo, slam bam jam baby, diaper dandy..... Vitale hasn’t brought much to games in the last 10 plus years. Dakich, he seems like a guy you could sit at a bar and drink with and watch a game. Lol

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He’s really only one of a very few good ones left. If it had been a Dickey V game I would’ve turned off the volume and listened on the gameday app. I caught the last 5 min of FSU and Duke and told myself I hope he never does another one of our games again! Dipsey doo, dunk a roo, slam bam jam baby, diaper dandy..... Vitale hasn’t brought much to games in the last 10 plus years. Dakich, he seems like a guy you could sit at a bar and drink with and watch a game. Lol
Vitale did a good job on the inbounds play at the end. He predicted the Duke play, then after timeout they switched to another play, he pointed out the difference and what Duke might try. No cliche moments during that sequence, but I , like you, am tired of his worn out shtick.

Deleted member 2897

Damn we could be 3-0 in the ACC.

Next up we’re at a Clemson team who just got obliterated by Virginia.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Raftery is supposedly the one you wanna drink with.

Dakich is fine if he stays off a soapbox, otherwise he's a ****.

Fraschilla is great.

Can't remember what game, but Stan Van Gundy was pretty good somewhere this week.

Clyde is the GOAT.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Danish was really pumping GT and CJP. Hopefully recruits were listening

Do recruits watch? I imagine they attend. If we play this way again we beat Clemson in Clemso
Raftery is supposedly the one you wanna drink with.

Dakich is fine if he stays off a soapbox, otherwise he's a ****.

Fraschilla is great.

Can't remember what game, but Stan Van Gundy was pretty good somewhere this week.

Clyde is the GOAT.

Fraschilla is great.
I’ve soured on Walton. In plain terms, he sucks
One of the best up and comers is Jordan Cornette. He awesome

Deleted member 2897

Our defense is so smothering, it feels like if we get Refs that call fouls when someone even thinks about farting then we have no chance. If we get a crew that only calls the real offensive gas, then we can win.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice write up in the AJC with some good quotes.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ech-win-over-syracuse/de4WWSeQvZ2cvtPXpRLCeP/

Also this stat. Both impressive and concerning. We have to get our turnovers under control. We seem to have a lot of unforced turnovers every game.
according to sports-reference.com, going back to the 2010-11 season (which is how far back the database of games goes), Tech is the only team in Division I that won a game by double digits despite turning the ball over 20 or more times.

GTFLETCH

Banned
WOW Great Win!!! Hope we can keep it up against Clemson.....just think we are a layup away from being 3-0..... While I have been hard on CJP, I need to say After the ugly OOC lodd to Gardner Webb He has really had these guys ready to play..... Go Jackets!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
These next 3 games are huge. Hopefully there’s no letdown at Clemson. We’ve had a rough time at Littlejohn. If we can win the next 3, CU, L’ville & ND heading into the Duke and UNC games I think we might be in good shape to stay around .500 in league play. If that defense shows up every game and Curt can continue to hit 3’s like last night, this team could be a legit bubble team. If Devoe can find his shot, we cut the turnovers down and not leave points on the foul line, I think we will suprise a few ranked teams when they come to ATL.

Damn that VT game really hurts right now tho!

slugboy

Staff member

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ech-win-over-syracuse/de4WWSeQvZ2cvtPXpRLCeP/

Also this stat. Both impressive and concerning. We have to get our turnovers under control. We seem to have a lot of unforced turnovers every game.

We just played two of the better defensive teams in the country, and a lot of the turnovers came under a lot of defensive pressure. Still dumb looking turnovers, and a coaching problem—let’s get an outlet at the top of the key or mid court, and turn around and look for the inbound.

Maybe it’s just dumb luck, but the ACC has just had a few teams off of a big win turn around an lay an egg (like UNC), and some teams off a loss put up a great game to follow (like Louisville). Hopefully Clemson goes back to back in losses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a shame that this team just couldn't get through the OOC scheduling more smoothly. Blowing a 16 point lead to St. Johns, losing at home to Gardner Webb, coming back against the Dwags only to melt down again. Throw out the VT game, which was probably a game this should have won most and this team could be anywhere between 12-4 and 14-2, which seems crazy to thing about it. Three of our six losses are against current top 25 teams though St. Johns will slip out after this week.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Maybe I should watch more games on my iPhone? I really couldn’t believe we didn’t have one of those patented GT moments where we let the other team score 15 straight points to get back in it.

Pastner continues to confound me. Is he going to be the guy we love to hate or the guy we hate to love? Looks like it’s a solid trend over 3 years towards the latter.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Syracuse.com: Georgia Tech, the worst offense in the ACC, ran wild over Syracuse
Syracuse’s identity revolves around its defense, yet the Yellow Jackets shot a season-best 59.5 percent from the field against it. The Yellow Jackets scored 36 points in the paint. Both of those were season-worsts for Syracuse, which entered the year hoping to improve on one of the country’s best defensive units in 2018.
It was especially surprising because Syracuse is usually so good at pushing opponents to the 3-point line. No opponent had shot fewer than 19 this season. Syracuse forced a poor-shooting Georgia Tech team to attempt just 12.

Instead, the Yellow Jackets brilliantly worked the ball into the underbelly of SU’s defense. It ran multiple big players to the free-throw line to catch lob passes. Occasionally Georgia Tech shifted its best decision-making guards into the middle. Syracuse struggled to identify who was coming or keep the ball out of their hands.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
While we played well against the zone, I think the difference was actually our ability to get out in transition. We had 9 transition points in the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half when we went on the difference-making run. So many turning defense into offense opportunities. We forced Syracuse into 19 turnovers. I think those easy buckets gave us confidence and got us flowing the rest of the way.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

We are making things really hard on ourselves by giving up turnovers and offensive rebounds. Our opponents routinely get 15-20 shots per game more than we do. Luckily, we are on a streak where we are shooting over 50% and we are holding opponents to 30%. Imagine what we would have looked like in our 3 acc games if we had gotten 7-10 more shots per game and our opponents had gotten 7-10 less. We would be blowing teams out.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I did get a kick out of watching Jose get the ball at the foul line and operate in the belly of the beast. Neat wrinkle I hadn’t noticed before. AD also operated well there and forced Boeheim to play Chukwu more than he probably wanted

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has lost 3 in a row. That could be disastrous for us (if they come out and play really hard and focused). Or it could be good for us (they give up and play like they don’t care). Their effort in our game will say a lot about the rest of their season and indirectly about Brownell’s ability to motivate

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
While we played well against the zone, I think the difference was actually our ability to get out in transition. We had 9 transition points in the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half when we went on the difference-making run. So many turning defense into offense opportunities. We forced Syracuse into 19 turnovers. I think those easy buckets gave us confidence and got us flowing the rest of the way.

Outside of UVA it is hard to win just grinding out offense. The team with more easy baskets usually wins. Something we have needed and I think it was more than 3 of our 3 point shots that came in transition