GT vs #17 Ole Miss GAME THREAD

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
for some of us, would you please tell us what the connections are with players and coaches. Another AJC link that goes nowhere.
"...two head coaches who were once on the same staff (at Alabama)"
"Cornerback Zamari Walton, defensive end Jared Ivey, defensive tackle Akelo Stone and running back Jam (formerly Jamious) Griffin are all now Ole Miss Rebels...".
Sharing this since it is pretty much public info. For some reason, I'm now able to read their articles from my browser. Normally I can't see the paywalled ones.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Tres Harris IIILBQues Sat – KneeMon, Sep 11Harris exited the last matchup with a knee injury, leaving his availability for Saturday’s clash versus Georgia Tech up in the air.
Hudson WolfeTEQues Sat – ShoulderMon, Sep 11Wolfe was absent from the lineup during the previous game with a shoulder injury, and it remains to be seen if he will be in the lineup against Georgia Tech on Saturday.
Mark Trigg Jr.LBQues Sat – UndisclosedMon, Sep 11Trigg has been held out of the past two games with an unknown issue, and it is uncertain if he will take on Georgia Tech on Saturday.
Qua DavisWRQues Sat – UndisclosedMon, Sep 11Davis has sat out the previous two games due to an unspecified injury, and it is unknown whether he will take the field Saturday versus Georgia Tech.
Zakhari FranklinWRQues Sat – KneeMon, Sep 11Franklin missed his second-straight game due to a knee injury, and it is unclear if it will affect his availability for Saturday’s battle against Georgia Tech.
Caden PrieskornTELate Sept – ToeTue, Sep 12Prieskorn is sidelined while recovering from toe surgery, and he is expected to remain out of the lineup for at least three weeks.
Jalen KnoxWRQues Sat – UndisclosedTue, Sep 12Knox is battling an undefined injury, and it is up in the air if he will suit up for Saturday’s clash with Georgia Tech.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
"...two head coaches who were once on the same staff (at Alabama)"
"Cornerback Zamari Walton, defensive end Jared Ivey, defensive tackle Akelo Stone and running back Jam (formerly Jamious) Griffin are all now Ole Miss Rebels...".
Sharing this since it is pretty much public info. For some reason, I'm now able to read their articles from my browser. Normally I can't see the paywalled ones.
Thanks. what browser usually let's you get behind paywalls?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
FEI Game rankings (keep in mind, FEI ignores FCS games)
GT
Wk
Opponent
R
Final
NG Final
GR
Pct
Rk
OGR
Pct
Rk
DGR
Pct
Rk
SGR
Pct
Rk
1​
Louisville​
L​
34-39​
-.02​
.515​
96​
.63​
.788​
42​
-.27​
.404​
118​
.00​
.207​
157​

Ole Miss
Wk
Opponent
R
Final
NG Final
GR
Pct
Rk
OGR
Pct
Rk
DGR
Pct
Rk
SGR
Pct
Rk
2​
Tulane​
W​
37-20​
.86​
.854​
29​
.23​
.641​
71​
1.21​
.854​
29​
.25​
.854​
29​

Based on our performances this year, GT had a better performing offense, but a much worse defense.

Point per drive information:
RkTeamRecFBSNPDOPDRkOLDRkOMDRkOSDRkDPDRkDLDRkDMDRkDSDRk
39​
Ole Miss
2-0​
1-0​
0.96​
2.5​
48​
3​
26​
2.33​
48​
3​
66​
1.54​
41​
0​
1​
1.43​
51​
2.5​
33​
77​
Georgia Tech
1-1​
0-1
-0.38​
2.62​
39​
0​
77​
3.78​
18​
0​
95​
3​
102​
0.75​
52​
4.29​
126​
3​
38​

With only one FBS game, this isn't important, but just thought I'd share it.

Points per play (FBS Only)
TeamOffRkDefRk
GT
0.479​
35​
0.6​
118​
Ole Miss
0.552​
21​
0.233​
33​

Yards per play (FBS Only)
TeamOffRkDefRk
GT
6.9​
14​
7.3​
124​
Ole Miss
5.4​
63​
4​
16​

I am hoping the defense slept walk through Louisville and will come fired up for Ole Miss. Offense just needs to do what they did against Louisville to give us a shot to win.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. what browser usually let's you get behind paywalls?
Nothing special - Chrome is my go-to. Again, I don't think it's the browser as I still can't see articles from the NYT or other paywalled sources. And as far as I know, I haven't changed anything that would affect my access to the AJC. So it's a mystery. But if you want to see GT articles from the AJC, their phone app usually works.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
How can you claim that? Tulane finished in the Top 25 last year and won its bowl game in impressive fashion. I agree that over the years there has been no comparison, but right now...I am not at all certain of that!
There are several metrics that anyone can use - recruiting rankings, talent metrics, etc. There's really no point in trying to argue that Tulane has better talent, because they don't. They get more out of their players because their coaching has been great. I think many people are unable to separate the coaching part of the equation when looking at performance. I believe Tulane has been well coached for several years - much better coaching than what we we've had. But that's only part of the equation. The talent part isn't even debatable IMO.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Headed over to Oxford for the game. Will be interesting to go to a sold out game. Unfortunately, last week against SCS and all of the delays, the stadium was less than half full to my eye.

If Tech can get defensive backs to wrap when tackling the defense will perform better. Whether they can slow down Dart and company is the question. Maybe there is a "Thack attack" and we will see it this weekend.

I am cautiously optimistic Tech can beat the spread. But this is certainly a better team than last year.

slugboy

Staff member
We keep revisiting this topic (Tulane vs. GT talent) for some reason.

As far as I can tell, 247 does not rerank players when compiling the talent composite. However, they have a separate ranking for transfers that does reevaluate players.
Overall Team Talent: GT: 36, Tulane: 71.
Transfer Talent: GT: 43, Tulane: 82
These are only one system's metric for talent, but I think in aggregate it does as good a job as any. I think the question has been answered.
By the way, Ole Miss Composite Talent stands at 23. Solid, but not elite.

I have a lot of problems with the talent composite, but they definitely re-rate transfers in that metric. They use the transfer rating and not the high school rating. They have both numbers, and they have a database—it’s simple for them to use the “transfer” rating. Recruiting services have adapted to the portal

If the talent composite was predictive of how teams would play, we’d have gone bowling reliably under Collins. That magic number said we were top half—if not top third of the ACC—and that should have been enough

It’s silly that the recruiting services can rate a player to two decimal places. How do you even compare a NT to a WR with one number, and what does it even mean?

There are other ways you can look at it though. If you compare the heights and weights of our linemen against Pitt or Ole Miss or P5 schools, they’re about the same heights and weights. We’re not trotting out 260 lb tackles against 320 lb opponents. It’s other things—they’re not playing as fast, they’re missing blocks, they’re not executing. They’re still a lot better than they were two years ago.

The receivers are good enough, and they aren’t taking plays off. The RBs are good enough.

on defense, players aren’t shedding blocks, and they’re not wrapping up. It’s the kind of stuff that drives you nuts watching game film.

But, back to the question of our talent vs Tulane’s:
Overall, if you let our coaches swap players from our roster for players from Tulane’s, how many players would they swap? More importantly, how many starters would they swap? Which ones?

My gut feel is, a few players, but not that many. Their center? A DT? An EDGE?
Maybe 3 or 4 players?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I have a lot of problems with the talent composite, but they definitely re-rate transfers in that metric. They use the transfer rating and not the high school rating. They have both numbers, and they have a database—it’s simple for them to use the “transfer” rating. Recruiting services have adapted to the portal
Do they? I thought so too, but when they list out how many 5/4/3 star players each team has on the talent composite, that is based on their original high school ranking. For example, almost all of SMU's 4 and 5 star talent shown on the main talent composite page are transfers who's rating dropped to 3 stars (or to 4 stars for the one 5 star) as a transfer - it looks like they actually have 6 guys on their roster who are currently rated a 4 star, either after transferring or because they committed to SMU as 4 stars out of high school and haven't transferred.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There are several metrics that anyone can use - recruiting rankings, talent metrics, etc. There's really no point in trying to argue that Tulane has better talent, because they don't. They get more out of their players because their coaching has been great. I think many people are unable to separate the coaching part of the equation when looking at performance. I believe Tulane has been well coached for several years - much better coaching than what we we've had. But that's only part of the equation. The talent part isn't even debatable IMO.
I think age matters too. Our lads keeps pretty good track of age to two deep on offense and defense.
Tulane has a significantly
more sr , rs jr, rs sr 2 deep than gt.
Ol miss offense (1&2) is also significantly more mature. Thier defense is way way more mature w very very few undeclassmen. Those that are underclassmen are stars.

Our offense is doing pretty well and shows some speed and qb / wr abilities.
Also ol has shown some spark.

Ole miss is about 1.5 years older than gt and about .75 years older than Tulane. Hope that helps your discussion.

Our oc is my focus- not expecting perfection against sr s , but plays that sometimes bring a suprise.

Imo, kiffin is all in to best Ala and hope to get an offer when sabin leaves.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Do they? I thought so too, but when they list out how many 5/4/3 star players each team has on the talent composite, that is based on their original high school ranking. For example, almost all of SMU's 4 and 5 star talent shown on the main talent composite page are transfers who's rating dropped to 3 stars (or to 4 stars for the one 5 star) as a transfer - it looks like they actually have 6 guys on their roster who are currently rated a 4 star, either after transferring or because they committed to SMU as 4 stars out of high school and haven't transferred.
That is why I concluded that they used the original recruit rankings for their composite. If @slugboy has evidence to the contrary, great. It doesn't change the point that, by the metric used by the rating service, we have significantly more "talent" than Tulane and not much less than Ole Miss. By no means am I saying that we should use that metric alone as a way to gauge if our team should play better against Ole Miss than Tulane did. I was simply rebutting the statement that our talent is "nowhere near" Tulane's.
I suspect there may be a bit of semantic confusion going on to the extent that for some fans, "talent" can be a proxy for overall player ability, which over time includes coaching and experience. I was using the definition that the recruiting services use. Despite this, the original poster I replied to mentioned that we need to develop our underwhelming D and recruit better due to a presumed lack of talent.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think age matters too. Our lads keeps pretty good track of age to two deep on offense and defense.
Tulane has a significantly
more sr , rs jr, rs sr 2 deep than gt.
Ol miss offense (1&2) is also significantly more mature. Thier defense is way way more mature w very very few undeclassmen. Those that are underclassmen are stars.

Our offense is doing pretty well and shows some speed and qb / wr abilities.
Also ol has shown some spark.

Ole miss is about 1.5 years older than gt and about .75 years older than Tulane. Hope that helps your discussion.

Our oc is my focus- not expecting perfection against sr s , but plays that sometimes bring a suprise.

Imo, kiffin is all in to best Ala and hope to get an offer when sabin leaves.
I agree that Kiffin is angling for the Bama job

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Interesting question I’d like to pose - what do you guys think the perception and line would look like had Stewart made his FG and King led us to a TD two weeks ago instead of a miss and a fumble? We likely win that game in that scenario and generate a ton of buzz. Are we still 20 point underdogs? I’m guessing more like 10-13

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Interesting question I’d like to pose - what do you guys think the perception and line would look like had Stewart made his FG and King led us to a TD two weeks ago instead of a miss and a fumble? We likely win that game in that scenario and generate a ton of buzz. Are we still 20 point underdogs? I’m guessing more like 10-13
I'd say 13-14 would be the spread had the Jackets beaten Louisville. And our perceptions and our hopes for this game would be much rosier. By the way, the spread is down to 18 now.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, the defense looks like they are much better coached than they have been in previous years. They aren't looking to the sideline for the defensive play call while the ball is snapped. The CBs and safeties appear to be working the same coverage instead of totally different coverages like the previous years. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a very low bar to clear. Basically you are saying they don't look completely incompetent this year. I guess its a glass half full/half empty scenario. Personally I expected us to struggle on D as we lost our top 3 defensive players from last year by a long shot. I can't convince myself that the struggles won't continue Saturday against an O that is vastly superior to what we have seen to date.