GT vs #17 Ole Miss GAME THREAD

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Our defensive talent is no where near Tulane's. I think we are going to have to develop our guys a lot and recruit defensive talent with more vigor. Maybe we can find some gems like Keon White in the transfer portal.

I think Thacker has had long enough to develop our defense. There is no way we should be this underwhelming after as many years as he has been in charge.

Go Jackets!
Not sure how you arrived at this conclusion. I haven’t watched Tulane play so I don’t know about the “eye test” comparison, and I haven’t done a deep dive into Tulane’s recruits, but our overall “Talent Composite” is ranked 36th while Tulane’s is 71st. About what you’d expect. Perhaps they have more talent on D, but I’m curious how you know this.

Now you could certainly argue that we have more talent (raw ability) but worse coaching, especially over the last few years. But I would be surprised if our raw player talent is “nowhere near” Tulane’s.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Our defensive talent is no where near Tulane's.
Not sure what you base that on , cause they held South Alabama to only 17 points. If you want to say their defensive coaching staff is better than ours, Or their defensive staff coaches them up better than ours. I couldn't argue that point cause i have no idea who is on their defensive staff. But player for player their players on defense are not better than ours.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ole Miss is a 20.5-point favorite in the opening line. I would bet Tech covers that.
I like your optimism but I don't agree because I see little improvement in the defense. The line is terrible, to be charitable and Ole Miss will hang 40 plus on us if we don't start playing a whole lot better. Three touchdown line is about right. I think Mississippi wins and covers.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what you base that on , cause they held South Alabama to only 17 points. If you want to say their defensive coaching staff is better than ours, Or their defensive staff coaches them up better than ours. I couldn't argue that point cause i have no idea who is on their defensive staff. But player for player their players on defense are not better than ours.
I don't think our talent level is all that, but it has to be at least on a par with Tulane. Their recruiting ranking is around the 70s.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I like your optimism but I don't agree because I see little improvement in the defense. The line is terrible, to be charitable and Ole Miss will hang 40 plus on us if we don't start playing a whole lot better. Three touchdown line is about right. I think Mississippi wins and covers.
I know what you're saying but I think the Jackets' offense will score on them. I would guess a final around 42-27, bad guys. Plenty of room for a back door cover.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I know what you're saying but I think the Jackets' offense will score on them. I would guess a final around 42-27, bad guys. Plenty of room for a back door cover.
"back door cover"...I like that. Sounds like something that would drive the bookies crazy. My concern is that defensively we have not come close to replacing the three bell cows that were the heart and soul of our defense last year, nor has there been any improvement in open field tackling. I do think that the pass coverage by the safeties appears to my untrained eye to be much better than when we had the linebacker sized safeties but not enough to compensate for ZERO pressure on quarterbacks. Mississippi is a team, similar to LSU, Tennessee, FSU, Miami, and others that is not quite super elite but loaded down with playmakers on offense and consequently tends to be a momentum team. Once they get a break or two they can light up a scoreboard in a hurry. IIWII

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
"back door cover"...I like that. Sounds like something that would drive the bookies crazy. My concern is that defensively we have not come close to replacing the three bell cows that were the heart and soul of our defense last year, nor has there been any improvement in open field tackling. I do think that the pass coverage by the safeties appears to my untrained eye to be much better than when we had the linebacker sized safeties but not enough to compensate for ZERO pressure on quarterbacks. Mississippi is a team, similar to LSU, Tennessee, FSU, Miami, and others that is not quite super elite but loaded down with playmakers on offense and consequently tends to be a momentum team. Once they get a break or two they can light up a scoreboard in a hurry. IIWII
Got to get pressure on Dart, at all costs.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Got to get pressure on Dart, at all costs.
I posted something similar to that. Blitz, then blitz some more. Red dogs, corner blitzes, safety blitzes, fire zones, hell put Mario in and let him blitz. What ever it takes dirty that pretty boy up and rock him a few times and we will see just how good he is. We have nothing to lose, if we drop 7 or 8 that guy will light up our secondary.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
This article lists the PFF grades for the defense on Saturday which I realize need to be taken with a grain of salt. However, in my non-expert observation, I would say these grades correlate fairly well with the level of play I observed on the field. I thought the linebacker grades were the most intriguing with Moala at 51.1, Tatum at 57.3, Efford at 73.1, White at 73.9, and Oliver at 90.3. Do any of you think Oliver, Efford and White might see the field more against Ole Miss?

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
The Ole Miss podcast media is not taking Tech lightly, but the media fears the Ole Miss team will be looking ahead to Tuscaloosa. The Ole Miss media has big concerns for their OL. Apparently, Tulane was simply blitzing their defense (LBs) right at Quinshon Judkins and having success stopping him. Of course the Rebels are also missing two of their top WRs, so there is concern with their passing game. Ole Miss is a heavy RPO team and the Media is calling for more quick passes over the middle where the blitzing LBs are coming from. Many are calling for a lot of offensive fireworks from both teams- but I am getting the feeling it will be a game where 30 points might win it for us. Also, their FG Kicker hit a 56 yarder last week., but our new guy also looks comfortable from 50. I wish I was going to stand with you brothers , but a family (child) thing keeps me here. GO JACKETS!!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
1694575224106.png

To the friends and family asking if we are better than Tulane, I’ll just say this..

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

1694575247929.png

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Of course we're more physically talented than Tulane. We may not be as well coached, but raw talent? Don't be dramatic...

I have some friends that Ole Miss fans and they're expecting a brawl. They are thinking that the Rebs will come out running the ball, then play action off of that. But they will run right at us until we stop it. That scares the poop out of me...

I do think we'll score on them. It sucks not having Chase Lane. But I think Singleton and others can step up and bring some production. The OL will have a big test in this one.

H. King will also have a huge test - big road game, questionable protection, below average D, questionable ST. Despite this being his third game in the program, he is one of the few things I'm confident in.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The Ole Miss media has big concerns for their OL. Apparently, Tulane was simply blitzing their defense (LBs) right at Quinshon Judkins and having success stopping him.
Indeed, the blitz can be effective against the run as well as the pass.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Of course we're more physically talented than Tulane. We may not be as well coached, but raw talent? Don't be dramatic...

I have some friends that Ole Miss fans and they're expecting a brawl. They are thinking that the Rebs will come out running the ball, then play action off of that. But they will run right at us until we stop it. That scares the poop out of me...

I do think we'll score on them. It sucks not having Chase Lane. But I think Singleton and others can step up and bring some production. The OL will have a big test in this one.

H. King will also have a huge test - big road game, questionable protection, below average D, questionable ST. Despite this being his third game in the program, he is one of the few things I'm confident in.
It starts up front…. Duh.
If Ole Miss handles the LOS with four, I don’t see King having a lot of success throwing into 7-8. Im hoping that our backs have some success with early touches to keep LB guessing. If we don’t open running lanes, it’ll be a long day.

I see this game having the potential to be back and forth for a while IF we respond well to that first punch. Keep them close, and don’t make mistakes. If we can settle in a bit without being completely behind the 8-ball, I like our chances.

In a weird way, I could see this one going very much like the Lville game, but with roles reversed. Ole Miss out of the gate quick and taking a decent lead to the locker room before taking their foot off the gas a bit. With all of the chatter about “don’t look ahead,” I think they show up ready and maybe start peeking ahead around halftime

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Hope the coaches study the Tulane game film and adopt the same defensive strategy, attack-attack-attack, lIke someone else said, what do we have to lose.

20.5 is a bit heavy in my opinion and I'll repeat an old cliche, Tech always loses one we shouldn't lose AND WINS ONE WE SHOULDN'T WIN ... well ??
Don’t feel this is the one, sorry…