GT vs #17 Ole Miss GAME THREAD

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the talent level, coaching experience, and results...Ole Miss should take care of us handily Saturday night.

But games are played on the green fields in stadiums, and I will hope for the best and an upset. Those guys aren't behemoths, but they are better and deeper than us. Doesn't mean we can't win/get lucky/play clean while they don't/etc

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You would think Ole Miss is SEC West favorites with these takes
Who in the SEC West looks like they match up well against anyone good? Bama, nope. A&M, nope. LSU, nope. Awbarn, nope.

That leaves you the 2 Miss teams and Ark.

SEC West ceiling for the year is probably a 15th ranking at best by end of year if they were not in the SEC. They’ll get the 5-7 spot bump because the media will fawn over them incessantly all year regardless of how many times they get their asses kicked OOC.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Otherwise this year looks a lot like the rest of our DC’s tenure. We look poorly coached (tackling, guys running into each other on stunts, option D, etc), before we get to the talent and injury side of the equation. We had similar personnel is non-healthy Keion White years.
In my opinion, the defense looks like they are much better coached than they have been in previous years. They aren't looking to the sideline for the defensive play call while the ball is snapped. The CBs and safeties appear to be working the same coverage instead of totally different coverages like the previous years.

Yes, the tackling by the DBs has been bad. Yes, the LBs hit the wrong holes at times. The difference to me is that those are things the coaches can actually work on with the players. For the previous years, the defense has looked like it really didn't know what it was doing, or even what is was supposed to do.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking at the talent level, coaching experience, and results...Ole Miss should take care of us handily Saturday night.

But games are played on the green fields in stadiums, and I will hope for the best and an upset. Those guys aren't behemoths, but they are better and deeper than us. Doesn't mean we can't win/get lucky/play clean while they don't/etc
If we do not beat Ole Miss or Wake, it will be a real task to get to 6 wins

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
How can you claim that? Tulane finished in the Top 25 last year and won its bowl game in impressive fashion. I agree that over the years there has been no comparison, but right now...I am not at all certain of that!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Does this ranking system consider transfers and if so are their ratings based on their HS rating or are they rerated based on what they did in college prior to transferring.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Does this ranking system consider transfers and if so are their ratings based on their HS rating or are they rerated based on what they did in college prior to transferring.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have to agree with you.
But on a side note here people better start to look at SMU,Cal, and Stanford they are right in the same area as us.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In my opinion, the defense looks like they are much better coached than they have been in previous years. They aren't looking to the sideline for the defensive play call while the ball is snapped. The CBs and safeties appear to be working the same coverage instead of totally different coverages like the previous years.

Yes, the tackling by the DBs has been bad. Yes, the LBs hit the wrong holes at times. The difference to me is that those are things the coaches can actually work on with the players. For the previous years, the defense has looked like it really didn't know what it was doing, or even what is was supposed to do.
In some parts of the defense I agree with you, in others not so much.

IMO it looks like the DL lacks a difference maker and doesn't look as well coached through 2 games as last year.
The LB coaching looks fine, but the level of talent looks lower than the last couple of years.

Just in general the front 7 looks significantly weaker this season than last season. The caveat there is that it is only 2 games - that is a small sample size. After our next 2 games I expect we will have a much better sense of where we stand on both sides of the ball.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
We keep revisiting this topic (Tulane vs. GT talent) for some reason.
Our defensive talent is no where near Tulane's. I think we are going to have to develop our guys a lot and recruit defensive talent with more vigor. Maybe we can find some gems like Keon White in the transfer portal.

I think Thacker has had long enough to develop our defense. There is no way we should be this underwhelming after as many years as he has been in charge.

Go Jackets!

Not sure how you arrived at this conclusion. I haven’t watched Tulane play so I don’t know about the “eye test” comparison, and I haven’t done a deep dive into Tulane’s recruits, but our overall “Talent Composite” is ranked 36th while Tulane’s is 71st. About what you’d expect. Perhaps they have more talent on D, but I’m curious how you know this.

Now you could certainly argue that we have more talent (raw ability) but worse coaching, especially over the last few years. But I would be surprised if our raw player talent is “nowhere near” Tulane’s.
As far as I can tell, 247 does not rerank players when compiling the talent composite. However, they have a separate ranking for transfers that does reevaluate players.
Overall Team Talent: GT: 36, Tulane: 71.
Transfer Talent: GT: 43, Tulane: 82
These are only one system's metric for talent, but I think in aggregate it does as good a job as any. I think the question has been answered.
By the way, Ole Miss Composite Talent stands at 23. Solid, but not elite.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
We keep revisiting this topic (Tulane vs. GT talent) for some reason.

As far as I can tell, 247 does not rerank players when compiling the talent composite. However, they have a separate ranking for transfers that does reevaluate players.
Overall Team Talent: GT: 36, Tulane: 71.
Transfer Talent: GT: 43, Tulane: 82
These are only one system's metric for talent, but I think in aggregate it does as good a job as any. I think the question has been answered.
By the way, Ole Miss Composite Talent stands at 23. Solid, but not elite.

Take heart Yellow Jackets!

In my unscientific study based on my observation of human nature during my short time on this earth, I have seen VASTLY more talent wasted than realized.

It certainly is not an irrelevant metric, but its close.

That said, there is one thing talent accomplishes 100% of the time… it is the derailing of every message board topic ever created.
:D

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Wait. What this thread?

:p
We are using the Ole Miss game to decide:
- Whether Tulane is more talented than GT
- Whether Tulane has better coaching
- Whether J Batt should have hired his alleged #1 candidate or the one we ended up with (err wait, we're not there yet)

Once we reach consensus as message boards are wont to do, we will then use Saturday's game as the definitive transitive comparison.

My advice: sit out the debate now so that you can claim the game went exactly as you expected

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My advice: sit out the debate now so that you can claim the game went exactly as you expected

Kate Mckinnon Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live