GT - UVA postgame thread

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
On defense we brought pressure that didn't necessarily sack the QB but got in his face, forced an errant throw, and delivered a hit. The body blows add up and pay dividends!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Thought Johnson called one hell of a game. First we came out with a really good game plan. lt took UVA's D awhile to to adjustto the speedof our attack but they were not playing bad D even from the outset. But CPJ dialed up successful plays again and again to overcome third any longs.

In the second half opening drive UVA Was really getting off blocks and shutting us down.io we go to the Smoke route and find away to get the BB free a few times. The coup de grace was the touchdown pass to Days that couldn't have been any more Wide Open. 3rd ¢ 23 and we score to put the game away ? Are you Kidding me? And that was a good defense UVA has.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I just don't understand how a Tennessee team that hasn't done crap in years still draws 100,000 for every home game. And we can't fill up the stands WITH OUR FANS

Really? Seriously? Let us count the ways....:
(1) they have (and always have had) half again as many students as GT has. The most recent figures show UT-Knoxville with 21,033 versus 14,558 for GT (Undergrads only....grad students everywhere are historically not interested in football)
(2) That leads to a huge advantage in living alumni. For UT-Knoxville, they have about 225.000 living alumni while GT has 126,000 living alumni
(3) while figures are not as east to gather, it is also quite clear that UT's alumni live much closer to Knoxville than GT's alumni do. There are fewer than 50,000 living GT alumni in the entire state of Georgia, as GT grads tend to go all over the country, and the world because of the technical fields they work in. UT grads tend to stay closer to home and become local bankers or lawyers or businesspeople. I am going to guess that only 50% of their living alumni live within 4 hours of Knoxville, which would mean over 110,000.
(4) Conclusion...these FACTS would suggest that UT SHOULD draw over twice as many fans to a football game as GT does, even with identical levels of student and alumni support.

(Note: This type of analysis also holds for most big SEC schools, including Athens, and should relieve a bit of the stadium envy many GT fans seem to have.)

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
(1) they have (and always have had) half again as many students as GT has. The most recent figures show UT-Knoxville with 21,033 versus 14,558 for GT (Undergrads only....grad students everywhere are historically not interested in football)
(2) That leads to a huge advantage in living alumni. For UT-Knoxville, they have about 225.000 living alumni while GT has 126,000 living alumni
(3) while figures are not as east to gather, it is also quite clear that UT's alumni live much closer to Knoxville than GT's alumni do. There are fewer than 50,000 living GT alumni in the entire state of Georgia, as GT grads tend to go all over the country, and the world because of the technical fields they work in. UT grads tend to stay closer to home and become local bankers or lawyers or businesspeople. I am going to guess that only 50% of their living alumni live within 4 hours of Knoxville, which would mean over 110,000.
(4) Conclusion...these FACTS would suggest that UT SHOULD draw over twice as many fans to a football game as GT does, even with identical levels of student and alumni support.

(Note: This type of analysis also holds for most big SEC schools, including Athens, and should relieve a bit of the stadium envy many GT fans seem to have.)

Plus, what the else is there to do in Knoxville???????

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
How do we go to the OB if we don't win the Coastal? FSU gets in the playoff, assuming they win the ACC, but doesn't that set up the Coastal winner for the OB? If it's Duke they'd have at least as good a record. I guess we might be ranked higher with wins over Clemson and Ugag, is that it?

Animal02

Banned

Plus, what the else is there to do in Knoxville???????

More sidewalk fans in Ga go for the mutts. UT has the corner on sidewalk fans.
No professional sports teams in Knoxville to compete for sports entertainment dollars.

Animal02

Banned
How do we go to the OB if we don't win the Coastal? FSU gets in the playoff, assuming they win the ACC, but doesn't that set up the Coastal winner for the OB? If it's Duke they'd have at least as good a record. I guess we might be ranked higher with wins over Clemson and Ugag, is that it?

Duke loses one more game, and wins the tie breaker representing the coastal.....gets crushed by FSU. Tech wins out ends up 10-2 with its last game a win over UGA. Tech will look more compelling than a Duke team that just got crushed. That is one possible scenario.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I was disappointed in the crowd as well. But it was very cold at the game. I am in my mid 40's, in good health, and have a several natural layers of insulation :). I spend many Saturday mornings in freezing conditions hunting deer and ducks. Generally I am tough enough to shake off the cold. But despite my girth and my toughness, I had a hard time adjusting to the windy and cold conditions. I cannot imagine the old and the young coming to that game. It was too extreme for us Southerners!

However, I am not buying into the argument that we can't fill the stadium because our alumni don't live in Ga. To a certain extent that is true. But it did not stop over 50 people from my hometown from loading up Friday night and driving to Jacksonville for the FLA - GA game. They spent money on gas, hotels, food, and exorbitant prices on tickets. And that scene was repeated by people with limited income all over that state of GA. Many of them drove 6 plus hours to get to that game. And they went thinking the game would be a blowout - for GA. They weren't even expecting to watch a good game, and as it turns out, they were right!

People spend their money on what they want. SEC fans spend their money on their college football team. If our fans really wanted to support the team, we could easily fill the stadium for every game except for teams like Wofford and Presbyterian.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We filled the stadium just fine for Duke. No reason to not be able to on homecoming. It was miserably cold though. I could never seem to warm up.

slugboy

Staff member

Tennessee's attendance doesn't have much to do with alumni, although alumni show up to the game. It's just what you do in East Tennessee. There's no major league baseball, football, basketball, hockey, or anything else. It's like Nebraska--they've been pulling a huge group of people from all over their state to do the main thing that people do.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Competition with the NFL and something going on in the big city does have an effect. The U of H and Rice attendance is terrible. Lots to do in Houston and I am sure the same applies for Atlanta.
Same with Miami and Pitt

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Does anybody know how many tickets were actually sold? With it being homecoming, it's possible a lot of people had made plans to attend the game with kids but the weather kept them from coming.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck

Duke has one of the easiest schedules imaginable. You couldn't hand pick it any better. If we beat Clemson and UGA, there is no way Duke goes in place of us.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
My take on Duke ... screw them !!! I'm going to enjoy our team.
If we can finish 9-3 and win a bowl game, the positives, enthusiasm and optimism for next season will be 100-fold ... as well as the general health of our program.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Back to the game. I have heard a lot of compliments to our defense for having played their best game and I want to second that. However, I also want to recognize that we were the beneficiary of many many drops by UVA receivers. Had the Cadavers executed their offense with any consistency and caught the balls that were there to be caught, the game would have been a lot more tense. The things to be excited about are that we actually got a little pressure on their QB at times and forced him to throw a little early. Gamble gave us some size on the SDE and he got some push at times. I liked the different alignments and I think they helped. The three man front with some varied blitz packages was more effective. Gotsis is just naturally better out on the end in the pass rush.

I also like how we stuffed the run. We forced them to throw on a windy day. Good for us. It reminds me of the USC Sun Bowl a little.