"Our Defense is really slow" (2010-14)
Attoachu 4.5-4.6
Lou Young- 4.4
Rod Sweeting- 4.4
Chris Milton- 4.3
Quayshawn Nealy -4.5
DJ White 4.4
TJ Barnes 4.9 @350

I'm not sure how anyone could imagine JT run anywhere near 4.5. I'm almost positive that this has been the longest that he has been 100% since his Freshman year
Question if you run a 4:4 in Shorts what would that be in full pads ? Maybe that is the Difference .

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Yea we had some good speed but let's not kid ourselves, if they run those numbers in the combine they probably aren't running those numbers during the season. They train for a couple months to get those numbers. I do agree we fans are wrong on speed most of the time, it's honestly really hard to guess what a guy is running.
Yea I remember thinking Duke Johnson was a definite 4.3 guy, the way he ran through and around us for years but I was shocked when he ran a 4.5+. He just looked so fast in the game.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Lol You guys do this every year

"Demaryious doesn't have straight line speed"
Runs 4.38

"Morgan Burnett looks like a 4.6 guy"
Runs 4.4

"Not sure about Stephen Hill straight line speed
Fastest time at combine at 4.3 flat

"No way Kevin Cone makes it in the NFL. No production or speed"
Runs 4.3

"Our Defense is really slow" (2010-14)
Attoachu 4.5-4.6
Lou Young- 4.4
Rod Sweeting- 4.4
Chris Milton- 4.3
Quayshawn Nealy -4.5
DJ White 4.4
TJ Barnes 4.9 @350

I'm not sure how anyone could imagine JT run anywhere near 4.5. I'm almost positive that this has been the longest that he has been 100% since his Freshman year
What about Wallers 4.44? Never would've thought that.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this 100% I was just making a statement that when guys train for a few month they will have a faster time then during the season. But we have definitely had good speed. And I'm guess your saying our scheme/coaching is what's making guys look slower lol?

I'm not even really talking about our current staff, but are you going to try to argue that we've had good defensive coaching for most of Paul Johnson's tenure? Dave Wommack and the ghost of Al Groh beg to differ.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm not even really talking about our current staff, but are you going to try to argue that we've had good defensive coaching for most of Paul Johnson's tenure? Dave Wommack and the ghost of Al Groh beg to differ.
I think you got my comment all wrong. I think our D has been awful, and I don't think the talent level on D is as bad as we have played. If the players aren't as bad as the numbers then it must be something else. I commented on this 9 post above.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Paul johnson is a great offensive coach. Great. Beyond great imo. Too bad he never landed at UF or the like. 2-3 national titles by now. However. His achilles is also D. I believe though at a UF he hires ellis johnson or better.

Getting off topic. Smooth is legit. And our team has better athletes than most fans here know. Time for some of our coaches to step up or step out.
You're seriously going to start that again?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
nfldraftscout shows the measurement as 5105
I read that as 5-10.5? Then I stand corrected and he is both taller and faster than i thought. But he remains the shortest 5-10.5 player I ever saw, and at that height he could maybe play a bit of QB in the right offensive set. Flutie played some pro ball, you know.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I remember a while back somebody forecasted a 4.44 or something like that and I chimed in saying that would probably be a good over/under on a betting line. Congrats to those who bet the under. When watching him run the 40 from both camera angles I saw, he appeared to get an amazingly clean start and got up to speed very quickly. Seemed like zero wasted motion. That is indicative of a guy who has really been working on this. Good for him. It didn't happen when he ran against Snoddy way back when.

As has been the case for his entire tenure at GT, it is very dangerous to underestimate this kid. He seems to do everything (except run the midline) better than you think he should. I have no idea if any NFL team will be open minded enough to try him at QB, but if they do, they will be surprised at how well he throws the ball. In any case, can any of you quickly think of a more dangerous player in space than this kid? Given his 40 time and film history of shredding teams once he finds a tiny bit of daylight, I have to believe JT will get a chance to make an impact at the next level. One only has to go back to this most recent super bowl to witness the possible impact of a diminutive but elusive slot guy. There are punts and kicks to be returned and covered. You may not want to be handing this kid the ball on a 4th and goal play at the 1, but besides that, put the ball in his hands and good things will happen.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Question if you run a 4:4 in Shorts what would that be in full pads ? Maybe that is the Difference .

If the pads weigh 15lbs then maybe yes, but shoulder pads weight 5-6lbs max, that is not going to impact speed much. Being outta position as @33jacket or thinking too much on the field will slow you down more than anything

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember a while back somebody forecasted a 4.44 or something like that and I chimed in saying that would probably be a good over/under on a betting line. Congrats to those who bet the under. When watching him run the 40 from both camera angles I saw, he appeared to get an amazingly clean start and got up to speed very quickly. Seemed like zero wasted motion. That is indicative of a guy who has really been working on this. Good for him. It didn't happen when he ran against Snoddy way back when.

As has been the case for his entire tenure at GT, it is very dangerous to underestimate this kid. He seems to do everything (except run the midline) better than you think he should. I have no idea if any NFL team will be open minded enough to try him at QB, but if they do, they will be surprised at how well he throws the ball. In any case, can any of you quickly think of a more dangerous player in space than this kid? Given his 40 time and film history of shredding teams once he finds a tiny bit of daylight, I have to believe JT will get a chance to make an impact at the next level. One only has to go back to this most recent super bowl to witness the possible impact of a diminutive but elusive slot guy. There are punts and kicks to be returned and covered. You may not want to be handing this kid the ball on a 4th and goal play at the 1, but besides that, put the ball in his hands and good things will happen.
If JT is healthy, the sub 4.4 does not surprise me. In his race against Snoddy, they were close after 40 yards. Snoddy just continued to accelerate and won going away. Snoddy's top end speed was really amazing.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If the pads weigh 15lbs then maybe yes, but shoulder pads weight 5-6lbs max, that is not going to impact speed much. Being outta position as @33jacket or thinking too much on the field will slow you down more than anything
I guess that is why people think the SEC has so much speed , they don't think much. :) on the field or off.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
40 yard times are an indication but are unfortunately somewhat like star ratings. Not the best metric. For example Instinct, recognition, vision, burst, acceleration, ability to cut at high speed, ability to move fast laterally with shoulders square, and ability to take the proper angle is far more indicative of good football play than a 40 yard time. There are lots of great football playmakers with less than impressive 40 times and lots of fast players, judged by 40 times, who are only average football playmakers.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
40 yard times are an indication but are unfortunately somewhat like star ratings. Not the best metric. For example Instinct, recognition, vision, burst, acceleration, ability to cut at high speed, ability to move fast laterally with shoulders square, and ability to take the proper angle is far more indicative of good football play than a 40 yard time. There are lots of great football playmakers with less than impressive 40 times and lots of fast players, judged by 40 times, who are only average football playmakers.
Agree, if anything the 10 yard split is something to look at, shows explosiveness, and helps scouts see how well your closing speed is, but doesn't mean much if you don't have instincts.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If anybody was wondering how PJ got so many tackles--a good 40 time AND 26 B presses.He's a STRONG dude and runners go DOWN.also--Easily had the best tackling technique of any DEF player in last 4 yrs.He will be missed.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
#TGW: THOMAS, JACKETS MAKE AN IMPRESSION ON PRO DAY

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032017aaa.html

Johnson’s hoping every one of his former players gets a shot.

“If you’re a good enough player, you’re going to make it in the league,” he said. “You’re nervous for them because you know that from the time they were growing up, this was one of their goals and aspirations. It’s like I tell our guys all the time, Pro Day is important, but it’s what you lay on film that is most important.”

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Emmitt Smith. Amazing ball carrier, less amazing measurables.