GT Pro day

SlawDog

Banned
Ok ok ok I'm going to say it. FK has ZERO chance to make an NFL roster. There, I said it. Y'all can thank me later

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Ok ok ok I'm going to say it. FK has ZERO chance to make an NFL roster. There, I said it. Y'all can thank me later

You'd think if he was going to develop into an NFL caliber DL he would have done it by now, but he's got the physical build and measurables that might make a coach think they could be the one to tap into. Not saying it's likely or anything, but you can't discount it. At best I'd say a team might take a flyer on him for the practice squad, and if you get your foot in the door there anything can happen.

SlawDog

Banned
You'd think if he was going to develop into an NFL caliber DL he would have done it by now, but he's got the physical build and measurables that might make a coach think they could be the one to tap into. Not saying it's likely or anything, but you can't discount it. At best I'd say a team might take a flyer on him for the practice squad, and if you get your foot in the door there anything can happen.
JT is going to play QB in the NFL too. "Anything can happen"

SlawDog

Banned
Dude, I'm not being argumentative just pointing out the NFL obsession with measurables. Relax, champ.
No argument going on here I'm just amazed how people can't differentiate between what they would like to see happen and what has a snowball's chance on hell in actually happening. Deep breaths!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I'm not so sure that the "NFL" has an obsession with measurables. The fans, fan sites, fan blogs, media, etc. are definitely obsessed.

I do not think the current Falcon's coach has the "measurables" disease but the past history of the really poor Falcon's draft record is full of "measurables" examples, including basketball players, runners who do not pan out, and blockers who can't block and defenders who cannot find the ball. Their history is way too full of the "measurables" taking over their draft decision-making. Fortunately their new coach seems to have more of an interest in football skills.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
I do not think the current Falcon's coach has the "measurables" disease but the past history of the really poor Falcon's draft record is full of "measurables" examples, including basketball players, runners who do not pan out, and blockers who can't block and defenders who cannot find the ball. Their history is way too full of the "measurables" taking over their draft decision-making. Fortunately their new coach seems to have more of an interest in football skills.

Totally agree with this statement. It was like they were trying to reinvent the wheel. Last years expectations from Arthur stating that Dimitrof had to find four starters set the bar for a different perspective on how the Falcons draft. It paid off immensely as all of the picks taken in the draft saw significant time in the field. Especially Ja'len Collins who came in for Desmond Trufant.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

How do you know that the Falcons used purely measurables in their player analysis? Were you inside the meeting rooms with them? When I look thru their pics from 2008 and forward, the only player who actually graded extremely high on measurables was Julio Jones. Are you trying to say that they only took him for measurables and he didn't pan out? Even Matt Ryan only showed up high on two measurables: height and weight. Most of their draft picks, at least the ones that I looked at, might have had one or two measurements in the top 20% but more than two for each were under 50%. Bleacher Report did an analysis of the Falcon's 2008-2012 draft classes and came up with a 60.5% hit rate. That isn't bad by NFL standards. The Falcon's however didn't build a team geared toward anything in particular. They didn't have an offensive line capable of blocking for the schemes they were in before 2015.

The only documented owner/GM/coach that I know of that actually used measurements as the sole reason to draft someone was Al Davis. If I remember correctly, he actually told his GM to draft someone purely because of a 40 time. If you have evidence that the Falcons: don't read psych evaluations, don't interview players, don't watch film of prospective draftees, and rely solely on measurements, please let me know what that evidence is.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
How do you know that the Falcons used purely measurables in their player analysis? Were you inside the meeting rooms with them? When I look thru their pics from 2008 and forward, the only player who actually graded extremely high on measurables was Julio Jones. Are you trying to say that they only took him for measurables and he didn't pan out? Even Matt Ryan only showed up high on two measurables: height and weight. Most of their draft picks, at least the ones that I looked at, might have had one or two measurements in the top 20% but more than two for each were under 50%. Bleacher Report did an analysis of the Falcon's 2008-2012 draft classes and came up with a 60.5% hit rate. That isn't bad by NFL standards. The Falcon's however didn't build a team geared toward anything in particular. They didn't have an offensive line capable of blocking for the schemes they were in before 2015.

The only documented owner/GM/coach that I know of that actually used measurements as the sole reason to draft someone was Al Davis. If I remember correctly, he actually told his GM to draft someone purely because of a 40 time. If you have evidence that the Falcons: don't read psych evaluations, don't interview players, don't watch film of prospective draftees, and rely solely on measurements, please let me know what that evidence is.

I have followed the Falcons from 1966 and most of my "measurables" comments are based on years way earlier than 2008. In the earlier years "physical specimens" were often quoted by the Falcons as justification for many of their draft picks. The Falcons draft record is the evidence, especially blown high round choices going way back in their history, and it speaks for itself. I am certainly not talking about exceptions like WR Jones or QB Ryan. RB Profit is an example.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I have followed the Falcons from 1966 and most of my "measurables" comments are based on years way earlier than 2008. In the earlier years "physical specimens" were often quoted by the Falcons as justification for many of their draft picks. The Falcons draft record is the evidence, especially blown high round choices going way back in their history, and it speaks for itself. I am certainly not talking about exceptions like WR Jones or QB Ryan. RB Profit is an example.

According to Profit, he had a major knee injury his rookie season which pretty much curtailed his career. The Falcons were a dumpster fire under the Smiths.(Fire a coach solely because he didn't win the NFC Championship Game?) Under Dimitroff, they had a decent draft record, but failed to build a "team" until the last couple of years. I haven't been impressed with the Falcons as an organization, and I still am not. They have what, three or four GMs in the front office now? As an organization, they were a joke under the Smith's and they have floundered under Blank. However, none of that indicates that on draft day, they sit with a list of 40 times and draft the next available name on that list.

I don't think I will discuss this any more. It would probably need to be in the college and pro sports forum instead of the GT Pro Day thread.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
According to Profit, he had a major knee injury his rookie season which pretty much curtailed his career. The Falcons were a dumpster fire under the Smiths.(Fire a coach solely because he didn't win the NFC Championship Game?) Under Dimitroff, they had a decent draft record, but failed to build a "team" until the last couple of years. I haven't been impressed with the Falcons as an organization, and I still am not. They have what, three or four GMs in the front office now? As an organization, they were a joke under the Smith's and they have floundered under Blank. However, none of that indicates that on draft day, they sit with a list of 40 times and draft the next available name on that list.

I don't think I will discuss this any more. It would probably need to be in the college and pro sports forum instead of the GT Pro Day thread.

Good idea to not speak on this further. Mainly because it makes you look like a fan that does not understand the NFL at all. Saying that the team since owned by Arthur Blank has floundered is a really ignorant statement to make. Arthur had a mountain of things to fix as the incoming owner in 2001 and he did that and then the Mike Vick/ Petrino thing occurred. Guess what happened the following year. We got Matt Ryan, a coach that installed stability( until Coach Smith's message got old) and went to the playoffs how many times? Had back to back winning seasons how many times? Have gone to how many NFC Championships?
Considering the Smith's took 32 years to get to their only superbowl as owners it is easy to say that hands down, this organization has faced challenges down with Blank as the owner and come back better every time.

PS- PJ Davis and Justin Thomas have REALLY caught the eyes of the Falcons! Hope we can bring some more championship winning colors and culture to the Falcons if they either get drafted or get on the practice squad!