GT Pro Day Central

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'd caution against equating strength with bench press reps. If I were evaluating OLs, I'd be more interested in their squat and dead lift numbers. You play OL with your legs. I don't know why - except that they've been doing it awhile - the NFL uses bench reps; I'd be interested in that for DLs alone.

But that's just me. Maybe bench presses predict better then I would think.

If you read what the scouts and analysts say, the 225 bench press isn't a measurement of strength. It is a measurement of strength endurance. They are attempting to measure how well a player is going to hold up late in the game. If a player can squat 900lbs, but can only play three plays before collapsing, it doesn't do much good to be so strong.

It is only one small measurement in a long process of evaluation. I don't believe that any combine measurement will make up for a lack of quality film. Teams won't take chances on guys with good measurements if they don't have evidence that the guys can put it to good use on the field.(Oakland made some crazy draft picks based on measurements during the lat Al Davis years, but they never panned out)

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'd caution against equating strength with bench press reps. If I were evaluating OLs, I'd be more interested in their squat and dead lift numbers. You play OL with your legs. I don't know why - except that they've been doing it awhile - the NFL uses bench reps; I'd be interested in that for DLs alone.

But that's just me. Maybe bench presses predict better then I would think.

In a pass attack these days,the giant linemen just stand and stick out their arms to block, it seems.Thus the importance of arm strength in that type of blocking. It would seem to be less important in our Offense.