GT Pro Day Central

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
My good friends old position coach is at penn state now and he invited him to catch passes for Hackenburgs pro day which would be good opportunity for him bc therll be a ton of scouts there. He wants to go but doesnt no if theres any rules preventing him from going since he didnt go to Penn state. Thats why i ask, anyone know?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My good friends old position coach is at penn state now and he invited him to catch passes for Hackenburgs pro day which would be good opportunity for him bc therll be a ton of scouts there. He wants to go but doesnt no if theres any rules preventing him from going since he didnt go to Penn state. Thats why i ask, anyone know?

There are rules...I believe they've been updated recently, but the "location" portion of it remains:

http://ctsportslaw.com/2008/03/24/nfl-rule-costs-unh-quarterback-golden-opportunity/

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Would love to see the Falcons give him a look. They desperately need a bigger running back to get some tough yards.
Have you not seen freeman? Man runs and lays the wood like he's 250 lol, but on a serious note I think Coleman can get the one yard if needed.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Would love to see the Falcons give him a look. They desperately need a bigger running back to get some tough yards.
He may also have more fleibity on special teams on kick off, punt protection and fg protection since he is both big a relatively fast...

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
DJ White
5'10 188lbs

Team captain and three-year starter. Patient from press coverage and plays with balance. Disrupts receivers with well-placed jabs. Plays with desired feel for his man throughout the route, working to stay in his pocket. Good short-area quicks to squeeze routes and close on throws. Challenges catch without running through receivers. Good leaper with high-point ability. Instinctive and disciplined. Attacks catch point rather than man when in position. Forced a fumble all four years at Ga Tech. Should not be limited by scheme.

WEAKNESSES
Needs to get head around earlier with back to the ball. A little clunky flipping hips and changing directions sharply. Recovery speed is very average. Play strength needs improvement to challenge NFL size on perimeter. Waits on receiver after short catch giving away valuable yards after catch rather than attacking downhill. Head ducker in run support and finishes with arm tackles over chest-up approach.

NFL COMPARISON
Justin Bethel

BOTTOM LINE
While White is just a shade smaller and slower than teams usually like outside, he makes up for it with his instincts, athleticism and cover skills. White is relatively clean in coverage and is able to stick to his targets, but may not take enough chances to become a ball hawk who takes the ball away. White's ball skills and feel for the position could put him in position for early snaps as a third corner and he has eventual starter potential.

Pretty good. I think the bolded urked me, @33jacket, and others for the last 2-3 seasons with all the DBs. Maybe those were Roof orders to limit big plays

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
DJ White
5'10 188lbs

Team captain and three-year starter. Patient from press coverage and plays with balance. Disrupts receivers with well-placed jabs. Plays with desired feel for his man throughout the route, working to stay in his pocket. Good short-area quicks to squeeze routes and close on throws. Challenges catch without running through receivers. Good leaper with high-point ability. Instinctive and disciplined. Attacks catch point rather than man when in position. Forced a fumble all four years at Ga Tech. Should not be limited by scheme.

WEAKNESSES
Needs to get head around earlier with back to the ball. A little clunky flipping hips and changing directions sharply. Recovery speed is very average. Play strength needs improvement to challenge NFL size on perimeter. Waits on receiver after short catch giving away valuable yards after catch rather than attacking downhill. Head ducker in run support and finishes with arm tackles over chest-up approach.

NFL COMPARISON
Justin Bethel

BOTTOM LINE
While White is just a shade smaller and slower than teams usually like outside, he makes up for it with his instincts, athleticism and cover skills. White is relatively clean in coverage and is able to stick to his targets, but may not take enough chances to become a ball hawk who takes the ball away. White's ball skills and feel for the position could put him in position for early snaps as a third corner and he has eventual starter potential.

Pretty good. I think the bolded urked me, @33jacket, and others for the last 2-3 seasons with all the DBs. Maybe those were Roof orders to limit big plays

its funny, in his strengths they list him as good short area quicks to squeeze routes and close on throws, but then say he waits on the receiver too often giving up yardage....hmmm so which is it? He squeezes routes good and closes or doesn't and waits too much. A bit of a problem with this assessment.

But, watching our D closely, the second statement in weakness's imo is far more scheme related; and if you notice in the strengths he can do it well, he is asked not to. We are a super unaggressive D and the rhyme or reason play to play isn't there. Its like we never try to set up the offense on D for a bait...like we used to do...

What this says to me, is his size and physicalness is a concern; but there is a ton of room for improvement due to poor fundamentals; if anything this means he could be a late round value pick.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
its funny, in his strengths they list him as good short area quicks to squeeze routes and close on throws, but then say he waits on the receiver too often giving up yardage....hmmm so which is it? He squeezes routes good and closes or doesn't and waits too much. A bit of a problem with this assessment.

But, watching our D closely, the second statement in weakness's imo is far more scheme related; and if you notice in the strengths he can do it well, he is asked not to. We are a super unaggressive D and the rhyme or reason play to play isn't there. Its like we never try to set up the offense on D for a bait...like we used to do...

What this says to me, is his size and physicalness is a concern; but there is a ton of room for improvement due to poor fundamentals; if anything this means he could be a late round value pick.
I think you are missing what he's saying, in coverage he squeezes the route well, but when the receiver does catch the ball on a hitch or something, white doesn't attack to tackle but he waits for the receiver to come to him to make the tackle. That's why he said SHORT catches, because you can't close on those right away if you are not playing press, but playing 10 yards off the ball instead, it's two totally different things he was talking about. Also, at the senior game he got invited to, the coaches raved about him and golden on their fundamentals. What I don't understand is the speed statement. I agree he's not the fastest but I wouldn't say he's slower, just look at when he chased down Connor from Pitt.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you are missing what he's saying, in coverage he squeezes the route well, but when the receiver does catch the ball on a hitch or something, white doesn't attack to tackle but he waits for the receiver to come to him to make the tackle. That's why he said SHORT catches, because you can't close on those right away if you are not playing press, but playing 10 yards off the ball instead, it's two totally different things he was talking about. Also, at the senior game he got invited to, the coaches raved about him and golden on their fundamentals. What I don't understand is the speed statement. I agree he's not the fastest but I wouldn't say he's slower, just look at when he chased down Connor from Pitt.

for me squeezing a route is what you do on short catches. Its hard to squeeze a 9 route or deep in since you often turn that over to a S in zone. You don't squeeze in man much since you goal is hip pocket (which they say he does well)....I see it alot of the same thing. If you are in zone on the under squeezing the route and coming up....

Maybe its wording, but if they are saying he doesnt' come up aggressive enough when he is back in zone after the catch....then ok...maybe that is what they are saying. But if you squeeze that same short catch route well by nature you are up and aggressive...so...its hand in hand to me.

and BTW this is the issue with our D scheme imo; we don't let the CBs come up enough and squeeze routes and press in zone. It lends itself to the laid back wait and see approach. ARGH

as far as speed, we are too often enamored with straight line speed...i think it may be addressing getting out of breaks, hip turn, game speed type things....

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
for me squeezing a route is what you do on short catches. Its hard to squeeze a 9 route or deep in since you often turn that over to a S in zone. You don't squeeze in man much since you goal is hip pocket (which they say he does well)....I see it alot of the same thing. If you are in zone on the under squeezing the route and coming up....

Maybe its wording, but if they are saying he doesnt' come up aggressive enough when he is back in zone after the catch....then ok...maybe that is what they are saying. But if you squeeze that same short catch route well by nature you are up and aggressive...so...its hand in hand to me.

and BTW this is the issue with our D scheme imo; we don't let the CBs come up enough and squeeze routes and press in zone. It lends itself to the laid back wait and see approach. ARGH

as far as speed, we are too often enamored with straight line speed...i think it may be addressing getting out of breaks, hip turn, game speed type things....
I see what you are saying I just think he's saying on the short routes, that are catches he lets them come to him before the tackle. On routes that might be slants even in zone he closes the gap well by breaking on the ball when thrown, that's just how I took it by saying squeezing. Although it was a short pass, a prime example of squeezing a route would be Milton in the Orange bowl when he deflected the ball early in the game and we got the interception, which can also be done on most routes deep and short depending on what coverage you are in, it's just harder to do on short routes if you are playing 10 yards off the ball imo.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I see what you are saying I just think he's saying on the short routes, that are catches he lets them come to him before the tackle. On routes that might be slants even in zone he closes the gap well by breaking on the ball when thrown, that's just how I took it by saying squeezing. Although it was a short pass, a prime example of squeezing a route would be Milton in the Orange bowl when he deflected the ball early in the game and we got the interception, which can also be done on most routes deep and short depending on what coverage you are in, it's just harder to do on short routes if you are playing 10 yards off the ball imo.

right, which goes back to the scheme...we play off and blitz. Makes no sense....