GT postseason last 25 years

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Huh? Today our RPI is #12 and Auburn is #13. The truth is they shouldn't have even been in our region - we should have been matched with someone around #28-30. We also shouldn't have been the away team in our own stadium as the better seeded team. We shouldn't have made errors. We shouldn't have hit a batter at 0-2. We shouldn't have given another guy in an 0-2 count a ball to hit over the fence. Baseball is a crazy sport, which is one of many reasons why the traditional schedule is 3 game series.

Georgia was ranked higher than us all year (and still is). Their #2 seed currently sits aat #39 RPI. (Compare that to Auburn at #13 LOL.) Georgia lost too and is eliminated. Something like half the 1 seed teams went into the losers bracket. Until the NCAA changes their rules about who gets the home designation and until they change the format to be 3 game series instead of 1-game series, my guess is the nature of who moves on and who doesn't will continue to be almost random.

Sucks for sure.

So maybe we should not host so many Regionals and play them away.

We would get mentally tougher as a team, and also be the”home team” more often.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
RPI isn't the be-all, end-all. Coming into the weekend, Auburn was 15-21 (.417) against teams in the top 50 RPI, whereas FSU was 9-11 (.450). FSU's winning percentage was higher, although perhaps not meaningfully. But Auburn's RPI was definitely helped by playing (and losing to) good teams like us. They just managed not to do it in the postseason.

But also remember how often every team in the tournament got to be the “home team” except GT.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I do my share of criticizing. I’m just tired of all the negativity. This year’s team was a joy to watch, and I saw every game, either in person or on tv. I have posted before that the past has nothing to do with this team. Each year is different. Yes I agree , not advancing is sickening, this year and the others, but we had a chance. The theme is that the one constant is CDH and that’s why we don’t advance, well I’m here to suggest that just maybe the one constant is the reason that we get there to be disappointed. I’m sure he is more disappointed than all of us. Fred makes a great point in his Martin reference, hell lets enjoy and celebrate a great year for our student athletes.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It's interesting your choice of words for 2019 are "losing regional appearance"... while literally correct, it's putting the absolute most negative spin on what happened this season. Thanks for responding, though... I meant it when I said I wonder... also, my question was over last 10-15 years because I assume we all believe the right coach should have to have sustained success & prove it over a longer tenure.

Well, I'll answer your question, and I hope that you'll answer mine. I'll break it down in to three phases: recruiting, regular season performance, and post-season performance.

I would give CDH an 'average' for recruiting. Yes, he has delivered great classes and he deserves credit for it. However, recruiting was excellent before he came here. Additionally, he has the advantage of the HOPE Scholarship, which gives him a huge advantage over ACC competitors given that GA is a hotbed for baseball talent. So he's delivered great talent, but it's not clear that this is because of him.

I would give him an 'average' also for regular season performance. I am going to weigh recent years more over 15 years ago, since 15 years ago isn't really going to affect what happens next year. He's had some great regular seasons (like this one), and some poor ones, like our first losing record since before I was born. And I ain't that young.

Finally, I'd give him a 'terrible' for post-season performance. The last 13 years has been a complete drought where we usually lost as #1 seeds and barely threatened at away regionals.

So, my question for you: how do you rate his performance over the past three years, given the talent that's now been drafted this year?

Deleted member 2897

So maybe we should not host so many Regionals and play them away.

We would get mentally tougher as a team, and also be the”home team” more often.

Half the 1 seeds went into the losers bracket. So hosting a regional is a coin flip anyway. I’d rather stay at “home” and make a bunch of revenue and give the fans some fun. But it sure would be nice if the NCAA improved the format. Earning a 1 seed shouldn’t earn you a coin flip.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
No doubt that we should have beaten auburn. We got beat by one bad inning on Saturday that we can all sit around and second guess. RPI doesn’t matter as much as the fact that we crushed them twice this year and we were playing at home. We don’t have any excuses.

Nevertheless, baseball is a funny sport and that one swing of the bat changed everything. We have more talent than them but I suppose they have more pitching depth after 2 of our 3 starters went down. It sucks.

As for “why does this keep happening”? I don’t know. But I do know that CDH has a video pleading with our fans to show up. During the regular season we only have about 500 fans on a good day. During the tourney the fans that showed up were great. It was rowdy. Nevertheless, your home field advantage dwindles when the visiting team has 35 percent of the fans. So I would ask if you attended the games this weekend? If so, then thank you. If not, then you could help the team in the future by showing up and bringing friends.

Correction - Auburn was the “home team”.

So how often have we had 65% of the crowd as the “visiting team”?

Pretty great showing by GT using that standard.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Half the 1 seeds went into the losers bracket. So hosting a regional is a coin flip anyway. I’d rather stay at “home” and make a bunch of revenue and give the fans some fun. But it sure would be nice if the NCAA improved the format. Earning a 1 seed shouldn’t earn you a coin flip.

Bunch of revenue? How do you think this works in the NCAA tourney? Especially since the entire NCAA is against us and hates us by making us the visiting team and everyone else the home team.

Bunch of revenue? How do you think this works in the NCAA tourney? Especially since the entire NCAA is against us and hates us by making us the visiting team and everyone else the home team.
To be fair, it was decided by a coin toss. But WHY was that done? Why wasn't the host school the home team in all games in all regions? The mutts were not the home team at least once in their regional too.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, I'll answer your question, and I hope that you'll answer mine. I'll break it down in to three phases: recruiting, regular season performance, and post-season performance.

I would give CDH an 'average' for recruiting. Yes, he has delivered great classes and he deserves credit for it. However, recruiting was excellent before he came here. Additionally, he has the advantage of the HOPE Scholarship, which gives him a huge advantage over ACC competitors given that GA is a hotbed for baseball talent. So he's delivered great talent, but it's not clear that this is because of him.

I would give him an 'average' also for regular season performance. I am going to weigh recent years more over 15 years ago, since 15 years ago isn't really going to affect what happens next year. He's had some great regular seasons (like this one), and some poor ones, like our first losing record since before I was born. And I ain't that young.

Finally, I'd give him a 'terrible' for post-season performance. The last 13 years has been a complete drought where we usually lost as #1 seeds and barely threatened at away regionals.

So, my question for you: how do you rate his performance over the past three years, given the talent that's now been drafted this year?
Thank you. I've been thinking about this question a lot as this season has progressed. I'm sticking to your question... the last 3 seasons.

After 2018, I was at an all time low (re CDH)... which may be relative, but I digress. I did not believe Tech baseball was going to move the needle much before he left. I expected .500 baseball in conference & low 30s in win totals thru the end of his tenure. I also could not really put my finger on why... I take others' word for it that Hope helps & no other state produces baseball talent like Georgia (that isn't sarcasm...but I do really wonder if the gap hasn't closed... again, I digress). So... I was resigned to fact he was not going to be here for too many more years & I'd stay engaged, pull for the kids, & try to enjoy smaller victories within mediocre seasons. That kind of thing isn't that hard for me.

Then 2019 happened. It was awesome. CDH seemed to approach things differently. He hired an assistant that was visible & said the right things. The team seemed to buy in. The approach at the plate was very effective. It produced 43 wins & an ACCCG appearance.

Then I watched the ACCT & regional. I just see them differently than you do. The regional was not the latest dot in a well defined pattern. CDH did nothing wrong in 1st game v Auburn. We had our hearts ripped out of us because a kid got into an 0-2 pitch with 2 guys on base in a 2 run game... after our ace had already pitched to what should have been 3 outs. The same ace we'd seen already manage 2 complete games this year. That is the opposite of a pattern... it's an outlier.

So... bottom line, I think CDH did something I never expected... he "may" have righted the ship here in his 25th season.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. I've been thinking about this question a lot as this season has progressed. I'm sticking to your question... the last 3 seasons.

After 2018, I was at an all time low (re CDH)... which may be relative, but I digress. I did not believe Tech baseball was going to move the needle much before he left. I expected .500 baseball in conference & low 30s in win totals thru the end of his tenure. I also could not really put my finger on why... I take others' word for it that Hope helps & no other state produces baseball talent like Georgia (that isn't sarcasm...but I do really wonder if the gap hasn't closed... again, I digress). So... I was resigned to fact he was not going to be here for too many more years & I'd stay engaged, pull for the kids, & try to enjoy smaller victories within mediocre seasons. That kind of thing isn't that hard for me.

Then 2019 happened. It was awesome. CDH seemed to approach things differently. He hired an assistant that was visible & said the right things. The team seemed to buy in. The approach at the plate was very effective. It produced 43 wins & an ACCCG appearance.

Then I watched the ACCT & regional. I just see them differently than you do. The regional was not the latest dot in a well defined pattern. CDH did nothing wrong in 1st game v Auburn. We had our hearts ripped out of us because a kid got into an 0-2 pitch with 2 guys on base in a 2 run game... after our ace had already pitched to what should have been 3 outs. The same ace we'd seen already manage 2 complete games this year. That is the opposite of a pattern... it's an outlier.

So... bottom line, I think CDH did something I never expected... he "may" have righted the ship here in his 25th season.
I eagerly await next season to see where we go. We lost a ton of talent. To me, a .500+ ACC year, mid 30s in wins and an NCAA appearance “somewhere” and solid fundamental baseball will signify that we continue to “turn a corner” and the trend is upward. (That begs the question that some may disagree with that the trend was downward). That’s a tough ask And I can see why others would give CDH a pass if we drop back down next year to not making the tourney. My hopes & expectations are higher than that & I think we should be capable of better. If we fall back next year to 2018 levels then this year was just a (very enjoyable) outlier based on a boatload of talent.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

This last year was a great one. I'm glad it happened. I still think that most of the reason was a rare convergence of pitching talent until we got injuries and a few key leaders (English and McCann) along with the Ramsey batting approach and philosophy. But Hall is responsible for the good that happened in addition to the bad. And this year had a lot more good than the two awful previous years.

I just stumbled over something in looking at GT baseball history. I was going to point out that GT baseball was consistently dismal until Jim Morris came along in 1985, and that included recruiting. Once we were established in the ACC under Morris, our recruiting got a lot better and I also don't expect any drop-off when Hall leaves.

Once Jim Morris set the program in motion, he went to 9 straight NCAA Regionals before he left for Miami. Jim Morris record was 0-9 in regionals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_baseball Goes to Miami and wins the regionals the next 11 years in a row including 9 CWS appearances. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Morris_(baseball_coach)

So what's wrong with GT? (tic)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Go ask the folks in the basketball forum on GTSwarm if they'd take baseball results in basketball these days. They would in a heartbeat.

A #3 seed would have gotten us into the college football playoffs this year....think our football fans would have cheered a season where we played in the ACC Championship Game and played in the football playoffs afterward as a post-season flop? Or do you think they'd celebrate a pretty darned good season?

Sometimes I wonder about us as fans.....(although I cannot profess to be any better at times, so please don't take this as a 'holier than thou' argument)

Deleted member 2897

Go ask the folks in the basketball forum on GTSwarm if they'd take baseball results in basketball these days. They would in a heartbeat.

A #3 seed would have gotten us into the college football playoffs this year....think our football fans would have cheered a season where we played in the ACC Championship Game and played in the football playoffs afterward as a post-season flop? Or do you think they'd celebrate a pretty darned good season?

Sometimes I wonder about us as fans.....(although I cannot profess to be any better at times, so please don't take this as a 'holier than thou' argument)

Well only 4 teams make it to the playoffs in football, so even if you lose 70-0 you can't finish worse than 4th in the country. A more accurate illustration might be if our basketball team got the third #1 seed next year after missing the tournament for so long, we win in the first round, but then lose in an upset to an 8 seed in the second round. (We finished ahead of FAMU and Coastal, so we effectively made it into the top 32 in the NCAA baseball tournament.)

Sure, that would suck completely of course, as we should have made it to the final four based on seed (and perhaps beyond), but the year as a whole would have been good. And upsets happen even more in baseball than they do in basketball anyway. Half of the 1s in baseball going into the losers bracket is like half of the top 4 seeds in the basketball tournament being gone after the second set of games.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line, to me, we overachieved for the overall season and the post season (really including the ACC tournmanet) was a disappointment. I can't say we underachieved given for the postseason given that we had two starters out. Now, over the past 5, 6, or 10 years .......our results haven't matched my personal expectations. Who is to say if my expectations are realistic though. It's really a moot question in terms of CDH future, given the narrative from TStan after last season.

Also, just to change to change the narrative or perhaps perspective of those who point to regionals and say (half of the #1 seeds were in the losers bracket) I would say yeah, but 75% of the top eight are still playing. Again, I am convinced that with Hurter and X it could be a very different story.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I know I can be negative & impulsive with my posts , I’ve probably been a fan of GT longer than most on here & I guess I’ve just been snake bitten so much , it doesn’t end with GT, I’m an ATL fan in general & well that says enough lol. Some of the frustrations I have about the weekend collapse has nothing to do with this particular year but about how we’ve came up short so many many times in last 20 yrs , and usually we’re always hosting & also a very highly ranked team . It’s just uncanny , & it’s tough when it happens over & over & over , but don’t call me fair weather when I’ve cheered for GT when our football team was 1-10, & our b-ball program has been the way it has the past 15 yrs

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
More people should show up to all our sporting events , but I hate it when an athletic team loses a game or series they shouldn’t & people start blaming that , maybe if our baseball team delivered more in postseason that people would get excited

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Bottom line, to me, we overachieved for the overall season and the post season (really including the ACC tournmanet) was a disappointment. I can't say we underachieved given for the postseason given that we had two starters out. Now, over the past 5, 6, or 10 years .......our results haven't matched my personal expectations. Who is to say if my expectations are realistic though. It's really a moot question in terms of CDH future, given the narrative from TStan after last season.

Also, just to change to change the narrative or perhaps perspective of those who point to regionals and say (half of the #1 seeds were in the losers bracket) I would say yeah, but 75% of the top eight are still playing. Again, I am convinced that with Hurter and X it could be a very different story.
But what about the other many many years we lost early? Injuries are tough but can’t use it as excuse , I know these guys in this team weren’t born or just babies when we lost some of our other Series but we’ve done this over & over