GT postseason last 25 years

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Baseball is like watching paint dry or grass grow. Except once every 10 minutes something exciting happens. 4 hours of that is a tough sell for students at GT. If I were there I’d watch the score and stroll in around the 7th inning if it were a good game. IIWII.

No kidding. I didn't watch an entire game all year on TV. Way too long. But I followed most closely on stats and then watched plays 20 seconds later on delay. Our students have too much to do to spend 3-4 hours at most games. Football is only 7 home games a year and are events. 30 home baseball games a year is a lot.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I love sitting at the stadium watching GT baseball. And I don't even need to look at my phone to survive. You guys take life too serious if you are too busy to watch a baseball game live.

Glad you like it. Really. For me, just too many other things that are a lot of fun to me. As I tell people, there are 50 people in the world who closely follow GT baseball and I'm one of them. But I don't have to watch every or even most plays to enjoy it.

As Neil said, better to burn out than fade away. Or ask Rickover said, "You can sleep when you are dead." Now that was a guy who took things seriously and wouldn't be wasting time on a GT Swarm post :) :alien:

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what to make from this. School is out during the postseason, so the “routine” changes?
From what I've been told (players around 2010-2014), it's more of a "Hey, because it's the postseason, so we're going to schedule X a little earlier than normal to give you guys a little more time to Y." Not a school thing but a postseason thing. I can't really remember specifics on what he does differently, but it's been explained to me with the phrases "he takes us out of our comfort zone" and "we get tight".

No doubt that we should have beaten auburn. We got beat by one bad inning on Saturday that we can all sit around and second guess. RPI doesn’t matter as much as the fact that we crushed them twice this year and we were playing at home. We don’t have any excuses.

Nevertheless, baseball is a funny sport and that one swing of the bat changed everything. We have more talent than them but I suppose they have more pitching depth after 2 of our 3 starters went down. It sucks.

As for “why does this keep happening”? I don’t know. But I do know that CDH has a video pleading with our fans to show up. During the regular season we only have about 500 fans on a good day. During the tourney the fans that showed up were great. It was rowdy. Nevertheless, your home field advantage dwindles when the visiting team has 35 percent of the fans. So I would ask if you attended the games this weekend? If so, then thank you. If not, then you could help the team in the future by showing up and bringing friends.
Unlike football and basketball, it's really tough for out-of-towners to make baseball games that are not on weekends, especially if you want to do the entire series. Also, attending an entire series is a big investment, because, unless you live no more than an hour away, it requires staying overnight plus meals. For me, lving 2 1/2 hours away and being retired and living on a fixed income, it's virtually impossible. I have STs for football and attend some basketball games, but I'm just not able to make it for baseball games, no matter how much I would like to. And I would really have liked to attend last weekend, but .....

Malpharetta04

Georgia Tech Fan
Quite simply put, no coach has done less in the postseason with more - in any major division 1 sport - than has Danny Hall over the last 25 years. This is not hyperbole, if you look at each year, its truly remarkable. He makes Mark Richt look like an overachiever.

My undergrad years (2000-2005) were almost unbelievable with regard to the postseason collapses.

Every year the GT Baseball excuses change, but every year one thing remains the same.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds like some players making excuses to me. I don’t buy the change bs , sounds like y would equal rest if in fact true. Hell boys , stuff happens in baseball. CDH runs the most successful of the major sports teams by far , and all y’all do is ***** about it. It is by far the most unpredictable, the most talented team doesn’t win by a far wider margin than the others. The coach can’t catch, hit , or pitch. Better be thankful for what baseball has provided to the fans, the REAL fans are.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
My wife GTRamblerLady and I have been attending anywhere from 5 to 12 GT baseball games every year since the 1990s. We love it, whether the team wins or loses.

The seats are cheap, and the stadium is very nice. Watching the Jackets play at Russ Chandler is just wonderful. We just enjoy baseball, because it is truly the greatest game.

It has also been a thrill to watch quite a number of young GT baseball players who have turned out to become Major League players. I could rattle off many names ... Texieria, Brown, Garciaparra, Dietrich, Wieters, Bart, oh man I cannot remember them all ... but now we have had English, McCann, Thomas drafted, it is awesome!

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Quite simply put, no coach has done less in the postseason with more - in any major division 1 sport - than has Danny Hall over the last 25 years. This is not hyperbole, if you look at each year, its truly remarkable. He makes Mark Richt look like an overachiever.

My undergrad years (2000-2005) were almost unbelievable with regard to the postseason collapses.

Every year the GT Baseball excuses change, but every year one thing remains the same.

Interesting to me that you pick 2000-2005 as your postseason "collapse" years.

I started following Tech baseball in spring 1996 when I started grad school, and for the first few years Tech was a regional participant in a 6 team regional on someone else's field that never advanced to the CWS.

If I recall correctly, 2000 was Tex's 2nd year when he was the player of the year, we hosted a super at RCS and lost to USC. Was disappointed at the time, but we faced a couple of pitchers named Mark Prior (who pitched in the world series for the Cubs later that year or the next, I believe) and Rik Currier who was drafted by the Yankees. Not a collapse. Sometimes you just get beat by great pitchers.

The next year, 2001, ranked #1 to start the year. Tex broke his ankle against Elon (I was there) in game 6 to 8? Tech played reasonably well throughout the season, Mark returned in a series at UNC (again, I was there and he hit a BOMB), but couldn't put it together and lost to Coastal and UGA in a regional in Athens (I was there).

Don't have as detailed memories about the following years, but we made the CWS in 2002 and in 2006. We had some tough losses in the CWS in those years, so if you want to claim those as "collapses", more power to you. But I would say that the 2000 to 2005 (or 2006) time frame were the glory years of Tech baseball.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
My wife GTRamblerLady and I have been attending anywhere from 5 to 12 GT baseball games every year since the 1990s. We love it, whether the team wins or loses.

The seats are cheap, and the stadium is very nice. Watching the Jackets play at Russ Chandler is just wonderful. We just enjoy baseball, because it is truly the greatest game.

It has also been a thrill to watch quite a number of young GT baseball players who have turned out to become Major League players. I could rattle off many names ... Texieria, Brown, Garciaparra, Dietrich, Wieters, Bart, oh man I cannot remember them all ... but now we have had English, McCann, Thomas drafted, it is awesome!

Don't forget X. 7th round to the Indians...

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like some players making excuses to me. I don’t buy the change bs , sounds like y would equal rest if in fact true. Hell boys , stuff happens in baseball. CDH runs the most successful of the major sports teams by far , and all y’all do is ***** about it. It is by far the most unpredictable, the most talented team doesn’t win by a far wider margin than the others. The coach can’t catch, hit , or pitch. Better be thankful for what baseball has provided to the fans, the REAL fans are.
I tend to agree. Interesting question you snuck in there... he probably has led/provided the most successful 25 year run when compared to FB & MBB. Perhaps.... the response would be "that's not saying much" ...but I'd say it is saying something.

I'd be curious from anyone willing to respond... & up front.... this is NOT a defense of having kept Hall. I want to understand the mindset & thought process of those posting who have a different opinion than I do.

I am on record (I think) as pretty risk-averse. Therefore, I generally have been inclined to believe Hall has settled in at really good (not great); but more importantly to me, I am not convinced change would mean anything better. And...even though it hasn't happened yet.. Hall could get over hump IMO.

So... if you are not like me, do you believe any "average" college baseball coach could have done exactly what Hall's done over last 10-15 seasons? ....that would include recruiting the talent Hall has brought in & running a well-respected program with no shenanigans. If so, what makes you think that? Help me out... just saying it would be "worth a shot" is an answer, but I'd view that as somewhat of a cop out to the question.

Related example/question... Mike Martin at FSU is retiring after 40 years of coaching... 15 more than CDH. Martin has made the postseason every year. As if that is isn't impressive enough, if he wins 1 more game... he will have had at least 40 wins in each season too. He's been ranked #1 numerous times... sometimes for long stretches. However, he's never won the national championship. All that to ask...if that was a Tech coach/history, at what point (if ever) would you be calling for a coaching change because talent, regular season success, 40+ wins... why no championship? What's he doing "wrong"?

Again... I want to understand where the line is? Is the definition of success continually ratcheted up... until you just demand change because of frustration or something?

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Granted we would have been deeper with pitching, but we didn’t lose either of the games because of pitching. We had 3 hits in last game, and costly miscues. We left 13 on in the 1st loss and once again costly miscues. When we made a mistake, they capitalized, and when we had chances we didn’t. That’s why baseball is the greatest game, you just never know. It was a great season,and I for one am glad I was at most all home games to witness it in person with about 500 of my closest friends. GO JACKETS

I'll second this opinion. Tech had opportunity after opportunity to add to a 5-1 or 5-2 lead against Auburn in the Saturday night game and didn't. One of the most obvious being the inning where English led off with a double (don't recall which inning it was, but I believe was pretty late). Radcliff strikes out. If he does his job and moves the runner over to third, we probably score. The next batter Hall hits the ball to the wall in right-center. A long throw from the centerfielder, so not sure why Tristan didn't try to go to third, unless coach Ramsey knew the Auburn outfielder and didn't think it was wise or Tristan just had a brain fart. Next batter hits a ball off the pitcher, Tristan tries to score from second, and is called out at home. Had he been at third from either of the previous at bats, an easy run. At it was, a replay-reviewed out...

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I do think an average baseball coach could’ve taken the talent on this year‘s team (4 top 220 picks) and led them to one losing regional appearance, two missed postseasons, and one losing record in the past three years. Don’t you?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
“Baseball is the only field of endeavor where if a man hits the ball three out of ten times he is considered a good performer.” — Ted Williams

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I do think an average baseball coach could’ve taken the talent on this year‘s team (4 top 220 picks) and led them to one losing regional appearance, two missed postseasons, and one losing record in the past three years. Don’t you?
It's interesting your choice of words for 2019 are "losing regional appearance"... while literally correct, it's putting the absolute most negative spin on what happened this season. Thanks for responding, though... I meant it when I said I wonder... also, my question was over last 10-15 years because I assume we all believe the right coach should have to have sustained success & prove it over a longer tenure.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow

Based on this theory the team with the highest payroll and most “superstars “ would win the World Series every year. This team over achieved all preseason expectations. CDH sucks , and should have 25 banners hanging by now. Haters are gonna hate. I don’t agree with every move by any means, but I have 0 wins at the D1 level. I feel like most of y’all must have a much better resume than CDH, because y’all dang sure seem to know more. Post your coaching resume and I’ll give you more credibility. Otherwise, you come off as a disgruntled fan that will never be happy unless we win it all every year and that ain’t happening.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Nah, I don't want to win it all every year. I just would like to win more than 0 of our last 9 regional appearances.

And I didn't know you had to be a coach to criticize a coach. I bet most of us have never been politicians, but I'm sure most of us have criticized them.