GT postseason last 25 years

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
GT is 47-41 overall in ncaa tourney since the 94 team made the finals , what’s more head scratching is they have watched other teams celebrate on their field while being the #1 seed 6 times & several other times have lost to lower seeded teams . I just wanna ask you guys why ? Why does this keep happening , if you look at CDH’s overall record @ GT in regular season it’s amazing , but what good is it if you can’t win when it counts? It’s impressive going to the tourney as many times as we have & hosting but as good as we recruit & as good as some of our regular seasons have been we should have some titles ! We were the #3 overall team in this thing , I thought this year would be different , we lost to a team that wasn’t even ranked & had a losing conference record , I’m stunned & disappointed & if we start the year next year 30-0 I’ll still feel it’s gonna be the same outcome

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
NCSU started 21-0 and then hit the skids. Their coach is being criticized by State grads that is very much like our story. It ultimately comes down to tournament play regardless of regular season if you are a top program. We have folded like a cheap umbrella in the tournaments. Very disappointing since this team had so much potential.

Deleted member 2897

GT is 47-41 overall in ncaa tourney since the 94 team made the finals , what’s more head scratching is they have watched other teams celebrate on their field while being the #1 seed 6 times & several other times have lost to lower seeded teams . I just wanna ask you guys why ? Why does this keep happening , if you look at CDH’s overall record @ GT in regular season it’s amazing , but what good is it if you can’t win when it counts? It’s impressive going to the tourney as many times as we have & hosting but as good as we recruit & as good as some of our regular seasons have been we should have some titles ! We were the #3 overall team in this thing , I thought this year would be different , we lost to a team that wasn’t even ranked & had a losing conference record , I’m stunned & disappointed & if we start the year next year 30-0 I’ll still feel it’s gonna be the same outcome

Huh? Today our RPI is #12 and Auburn is #13. The truth is they shouldn't have even been in our region - we should have been matched with someone around #28-30. We also shouldn't have been the away team in our own stadium as the better seeded team. We shouldn't have made errors. We shouldn't have hit a batter at 0-2. We shouldn't have given another guy in an 0-2 count a ball to hit over the fence. Baseball is a crazy sport, which is one of many reasons why the traditional schedule is 3 game series.

Georgia was ranked higher than us all year (and still is). Their #2 seed currently sits aat #39 RPI. (Compare that to Auburn at #13 LOL.) Georgia lost too and is eliminated. Something like half the 1 seed teams went into the losers bracket. Until the NCAA changes their rules about who gets the home designation and until they change the format to be 3 game series instead of 1-game series, my guess is the nature of who moves on and who doesn't will continue to be almost random.

Sucks for sure.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
RPI isn't the be-all, end-all. Coming into the weekend, Auburn was 15-21 (.417) against teams in the top 50 RPI, whereas FSU was 9-11 (.450). FSU's winning percentage was higher, although perhaps not meaningfully. But Auburn's RPI was definitely helped by playing (and losing to) good teams like us. They just managed not to do it in the postseason.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
No doubt that we should have beaten auburn. We got beat by one bad inning on Saturday that we can all sit around and second guess. RPI doesn’t matter as much as the fact that we crushed them twice this year and we were playing at home. We don’t have any excuses.

Nevertheless, baseball is a funny sport and that one swing of the bat changed everything. We have more talent than them but I suppose they have more pitching depth after 2 of our 3 starters went down. It sucks.

As for “why does this keep happening”? I don’t know. But I do know that CDH has a video pleading with our fans to show up. During the regular season we only have about 500 fans on a good day. During the tourney the fans that showed up were great. It was rowdy. Nevertheless, your home field advantage dwindles when the visiting team has 35 percent of the fans. So I would ask if you attended the games this weekend? If so, then thank you. If not, then you could help the team in the future by showing up and bringing friends.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Granted we would have been deeper with pitching, but we didn’t lose either of the games because of pitching. We had 3 hits in last game, and costly miscues. We left 13 on in the 1st loss and once again costly miscues. When we made a mistake, they capitalized, and when we had chances we didn’t. That’s why baseball is the greatest game, you just never know. It was a great season,and I for one am glad I was at most all home games to witness it in person with about 500 of my closest friends. GO JACKETS

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
As for “why does this keep happening”? I don’t know. But I do know that CDH has a video pleading with our fans to show up. During the regular season we only have about 500 fans on a good day. During the tourney the fans that showed up were great. It was rowdy. Nevertheless, your home field advantage dwindles when the visiting team has 35 percent of the fans. So I would ask if you attended the games this weekend? If so, then thank you. If not, then you could help the team in the future by showing up and bringing friends.

I would say that these two things are related and I don't know what the solution is. Your average fan can only take so many post-season disappointments after investing so much energy into the team during the season. I think the regional losing streak (particularly at home), coupled with the failure to make the postseason the last couple of years, really drove away all but the most diehard. Not sure what the answer is, but something is needed to inject energy back into the fanbase. I was hopeful this post-season might be the answer as interest really seemed to pick up for this past weekend. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Deleted member 2897

I would say that these two things are related and I don't know what the solution is. Your average fan can only take so many post-season disappointments after investing so much energy into the team during the season. I think the regional losing streak (particularly at home), coupled with the failure to make the postseason the last couple of years, really drove away all but the most diehard. Not sure what the answer is, but something is needed to inject energy back into the fanbase. I was hopeful this post-season might be the answer as interest really seemed to pick up for this past weekend. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Being ranked in the top 10 should help. Supporting our student-athletes who go to a uniquely rigorous Institute should help, regardless of record.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Being ranked in the top 10 should help. Supporting our student-athletes who go to a uniquely rigorous Institute should help, regardless of record.

I suspect the former is what drove the renewed interest this weekend. As for the latter, you and I both know that sounds nice and there will be those of us that support the team regardless, but that's not the reality of modern sports. People like a winner, second to that they'll support an underdog/overachiever. Unfortunately, this program hasn't had a meaningful postseason win in 13 years and instead has been a consistent underachiever when the rubber hits the road. That makes it tough to build enthusiasm from the casual fans needed to really pack out RCS.

Deleted member 2897

I suspect the former is what drove the renewed interest this weekend. As for the latter, you and I both know that sounds nice and there will be those of us that support the team regardless, but that's not the reality of modern sports. People like a winner, second to that they'll support an underdog/overachiever. Unfortunately, this program hasn't had a meaningful postseason win in 13 years and instead has been a consistent underachiever when the rubber hits the road. That makes it tough to build enthusiasm from the casual fans needed to really pack out RCS.

We had 5 meaningful post-season wins this year. But I know what you mean.

Buzz1126

Georgia Tech Fan
The problem is the heartbreak. I've been to several games this season. I was there both Friday and Saturday night, couldn't stomach going on Sunday (not that it mattered). But next year i'm not sure if i'll make it up to any of the games. It peaks my interest only to be let down. Watching from afar is easier on the heart.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The problem is the heartbreak. I've been to several games this season. I was there both Friday and Saturday night, couldn't stomach going on Sunday (not that it mattered). But next year i'm not sure if i'll make it up to any of the games. It peaks my interest only to be let down. Watching from afar is easier on the heart.
I can relate to that....but it is less a sign of the program than it is that we are getting older. I find that same thing is true in all sports and for all the teams I root for. Those I root for the most seem to impact me the most....which means GT. But at times I can't watch the Braves or Falcons or Atlanta United etc etc for the same reasons. It's not them, it's me. In sports, you sometimes win and you sometimes lose.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

Win consistently and the fan base should return. It only took the promise of postseason success to get people out this year. If the rest of the GT fans out there are like me, we are starving for athletic success in any sport, but especially the "big 3". Just the chance of winning consistently and being a top 20 team will get people to the ball park. Look at the basketball team in CJPs first year. We weren't even that good and we were selling out NIT with game time of Sunday noon (everyone knows GT fans don't support noon tip times ;)).

As an aside and afterthought, not close enough to know what needs to be done to get students involved with GT baseball. Maybe a tough sell to students because of the # and length of the games.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Anyone who has had an open and honest conversation with one of Hall’s players will know that their biggest pet peeve with him how he changes up their routine during the postseason. The last thing you should do as a coach is take your guys out of their routine before the most important part of the season. Multiple players have told me he does this. He just acts different during the postseason towards his team and it puts pressure on his players.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Anyone who has had an open and honest conversation with one of Hall’s players will know that their biggest pet peeve with him how he changes up their routine during the postseason. The last thing you should do as a coach is take your guys out of their routine before the most important part of the season. Multiple players have told me he does this. He just acts different during the postseason towards his team and it puts pressure on his players.
Interesting. I did not know that. It's also been a while since we were in post-season (unless you also mean the ACC Tournament)...

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. I did not know that. It's also been a while since we were in post-season (unless you also mean the ACC Tournament)...

Not sure what to make from this. School is out during the postseason, so the “routine” changes?

Deleted member 2897

Win consistently and the fan base should return. It only took the promise of postseason success to get people out this year. If the rest of the GT fans out there are like me, we are starving for athletic success in any sport, but especially the "big 3". Just the chance of winning consistently and being a top 20 team will get people to the ball park. Look at the basketball team in CJPs first year. We weren't even that good and we were selling out NIT with game time of Sunday noon (everyone knows GT fans don't support noon tip times ;)).

As an aside and afterthought, not close enough to know what needs to be done to get students involved with GT baseball. Maybe a tough sell to students because of the # and length of the games.

Baseball is like watching paint dry or grass grow. Except once every 10 minutes something exciting happens. 4 hours of that is a tough sell for students at GT. If I were there I’d watch the score and stroll in around the 7th inning if it were a good game. IIWII.