GT picked last in Coastal by S & S

GTarchitect2003

Georgia Tech Fan
This would be a bigger upset than that was....................................just sayin':cigar:
I'm curious how that is the case at this particular point in time, relative to the same point in time in 2008.
We were predicted to go 3-8 that year. UGA was the preseason #1 team and had the future #1 pick at QB.

That said, I don't think you should get a statue just for beating UGA your first year.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm curious how that is the case at this particular point in time, relative to the same point in time in 2008.
We were predicted to go 3-8 that year. UGA was the preseason #1 team and had the future #1 pick at QB.

That said, I don't think you should get a statue just for beating UGA your first year.

4th in the coastal does not equal 3-8. it was ~5-7 to 7-5

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Fine fine. (Sports Illustrated’s Stewart Mandel had us at 3-8 that year as I recall).

Build a statue if we do it. I’m sure our players feel capable of doing it right now.
that is correct. They were the biggest pundit to have us 6th, but all but 6 of the 25 had us at 4th that year

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
In the first instance, tight ends are greatly overrated. Johnson didn't even use one, and converted one he inherited into a tackle, and if you can recall a Clemson tight end it would be the guy-whose-name-I-know-not who made two great catches on the winning drive against Alabama in the '16(?) NC game and promptly disappeared from view, leaving not one recollection about his blocking skills, and maybe the Clemson guy who just got suspended for a year for PED use. So "having" to recruit one is a reach. Previous Tech teams loved to play with a chip on the shoulder and this certainly could be one of those, particularly given the teams picked above them. Happiness is a relative state, so 6-6 the first year with competitive outings against Clemson and Georgia would set me up to be happy with a bowl win and a 7-6 first season. What would make me unhappy would be to dink the ball down the field and call it a passing game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Wins will be dependent on our QB play. Defense should be at least no worse but need O to be as good scoring to win more than 5 games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
New coach, new QB, new offensive system so it is easy to pick us last given our recent ranking in recruiting. Now how UNC is picked above us is bothersome.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We get all 3 of our top running backs (by yardage) back - Mason, Howard, and Cottrell. We get the all time state of Georgia record holder in touchdowns Jamious Griffin. We get some upgrades at the WR position with guys like Ahmarean Brown, Adonicas Sanders, Jalen Camp, and Malachi Carter actually getting to play. We have 4-star WR Ezzard coming in. Lucas Johnson has been here a few years and to me he's an upgrade at the QB position. We completed 40% of passes the last 2 seasons. We're getting an upgrade there. If Lucas doesn't start, it will likely be because 4-star James Graham or 4-star Yates won the job. On OL we get in Southers and guys like DeFoor finally get used to their strengths.

We lose Braun, Bryan, and Marshall on the OL, while adding only the transfer Southers. I think we'll be fine at the "skilled" positions, but the offensive line is a major question mark. If they can get it done, I believe we'll have a fairly decent offense. But if they can't, we won't. And we can't afford many injuries there, either.