GT picked last in Coastal by S & S

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Even I, an eternal pessimist, would find it hard to pick us last, knowing how bad the ACC really is after Clemson, and especially the Coastal. With that said, I do not believe it is impossible. I expect our D to continue to struggle with our current talent and depth, especially in the front 7. That means, our O must score points to win games, and I have no idea whether that will happen or not.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
tenor.gif
It fuels my hate fire

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Gotta remember S&S, and I have quite a few issues somewhere in my stacks of stuff I've packed in my 20+ moves over the last 47 years, has their articles written by regional hacks in February & March for publication & distro in May. While fun to look at, they're no more accurate than stock picks from February & March. Heather Dinich & Mark Slackback, even Bark Madley, have better ideas re: crystal ball prognostications.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, there was that article in the Atlantic this month that showed how badly "experts" are in their predictions....I imagine sports "experts" are even worse!

From the Atlantic article:
With the Cold War in full swing, he collected forecasts from 284 highly educated experts who averaged more than 12 years of experience in their specialties. To ensure that the predictions were concrete, experts had to give specific probabilities of future events. Tetlock had to collect enough predictions that he could separate lucky and unlucky streaks from true skill. The project lasted 20 years, and comprised 82,361 probability estimates about the future.

The result: The experts were, by and large, horrific forecasters. Their areas of specialty, years of experience, and (for some) access to classified information made no difference. They were bad at short-term forecasting and bad at long-term forecasting. They were bad at forecasting in every domain. When experts declared that future events were impossible or nearly impossible, 15 percent of them occurred nonetheless. When they declared events to be a sure thing, more than one-quarter of them failed to transpire. As the Danish proverb warns, “It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future.”

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Almost no way, if a person is neutral, can you see this yr being very successful unless something truly stunning happens (FR-Yates comes in and kills it -and/or new transfers/Fr kill also ?) On paper-We lose our starting DL with our best DL, our starting QB, our by far best OL and are putting in new OFF and Def systems.Quite a list.Really on paper, it is easy to see the SS conclusion.My guess we struggle early and get better.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As the Danish proverb warns, “It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future.”
That's not a proverb. It's a verbatim quote from Niels Bohr. And, I might add, exactly what you'd expect the grand theoretician of quantum physics to say.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
People think, what is the hardest think for a defense to stop. A QB that can take off and run. We have 3 of them 4 if you count Yates. The difference this year from the last few years is these QB's will be in an offense that will pass and not just long passes but short and medium passes. If CBK can do what I think and if the OL can stay healthy think about an OL that can block without being on their knees. The one thing that hurt us the last few years was if a defense could stop the run there was not much we could do. But if you really have an offense that can pass short and medium you open the run back up.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I would NOT be happy with 6-6 , I think we have good coaches ( Yes I know I have not seen them coach one game ) we have good athletes. As long as we don't have a ton of injuries I see 8 wins.
I won’t be happy but wouldn’t be upset either. I agree with both of you points but worry our best athletes are at the same positions. I worry that our weak areas will be hard to overcome while we learn a new style of play.

Deleted member 2897

Almost no way, if a person is neutral, can you see this yr being very successful unless something truly stunning happens (FR-Yates comes in and kills it -and/or new transfers/Fr kill also ?) On paper-We lose our starting DL with our best DL, our starting QB, our by far best OL and are putting in new OFF and Def systems.Quite a list.Really on paper, it is easy to see the SS conclusion.My guess we struggle early and get better.

I hope we don't struggle early - our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th games are against USF, Temple, and Citadel. Then we get UNC and Duke. If we start 0-6 or 1-5, we're not winning 5 games.

I don't honestly see the pessimism. Who is in our division - Pitt, UNC, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Miami - nobody won more than 7 games in the regular season last year. We have at worst like 9 tossup games.

We get all 3 of our top running backs (by yardage) back - Mason, Howard, and Cottrell. We get the all time state of Georgia record holder in touchdowns Jamious Griffin. We get some upgrades at the WR position with guys like Ahmarean Brown, Adonicas Sanders, Jalen Camp, and Malachi Carter actually getting to play. We have 4-star WR Ezzard coming in. Lucas Johnson has been here a few years and to me he's an upgrade at the QB position. We completed 40% of passes the last 2 seasons. We're getting an upgrade there. If Lucas doesn't start, it will likely be because 4-star James Graham or 4-star Yates won the job. On OL we get in Southers and guys like DeFoor finally get used to their strengths.

On defense, Tariq Carpenter, Christian Campbell, Juanyeh Thomas are back at the safety position. Tre Swilling, Jaytlin Askew, Jaylon King, Zamari Walton at the corners - all these guys are really good. We have 4-star Myles Sims coming in. Our length at all these positions is great. David Curry and Bruce Jordan-Swilling are back at linebacker. We have over 10 guys rated 4-star by one agency or another. We have 5-star DE Clayton coming in.

To me, if I had to make a forecast that wasn't biased, I'd say all of our Coastal games plus USF and Temple and NC State = 9 tossups. Citadel is a win. Clemson and Georgia are losses. I'd say 5-7 wins is the guess. To finish last in the Coastal Division is to forecast either an 0-8 year or a 1-7 year. If we go 2-10 against a bunch of largely average teams, we've got bigger problems.