GT picked last in Coastal by S & S

slugboy

Staff member
People think, what is the hardest think for a defense to stop. A QB that can take off and run. We have 3 of them 4 if you count Yates. The difference this year from the last few years is these QB's will be in an offense that will pass and not just long passes but short and medium passes. If CBK can do what I think and if the OL can stay healthy think about an OL that can block without being on their knees. The one thing that hurt us the last few years was if a defense could stop the run there was not much we could do. But if you really have an offense that can pass short and medium you open the run back up.

I'd say a massive and athletic offensive line is the hardest thing to stop.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think some people are way too optimistic. I don't see 8 wins anywhere on that schedule. 6 wins and a bowl game would be a successful season, especially if you throw in a top 25 recruiting class.

The truth is that we are small on both lines and don't have a schematic advantage anymore to lessen that effect. I think our special teams are very good and that will keep us in games and might tilt a couple of the close ones our way. However we dont know what the offense will look like (an average offense is best case scenario) and the defense should see some improvement from being below average. 4 ACC wins would be a job well done from the staff.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I think some people are way too optimistic. I don't see 8 wins anywhere on that schedule. 6 wins and a bowl game would be a successful season, especially if you throw in a top 25 recruiting class.

The truth is that we are small on both lines and don't have a schematic advantage anymore to lessen that effect. I think our special teams are very good and that will keep us in games and might tilt a couple of the close ones our way. However we dont know what the offense will look like (an average offense is best case scenario) and the defense should see some improvement from being below average. 4 ACC wins would be a job well done from the staff.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being overly optimistic. It sure as hell beats being overly fatalistic like a lot of posters are!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No one should be happy with 6-6. I think that should be the baseline.....outside of massive I juries etc

I have no idea but I would not be surprised by a losing season. Transitions are usually difficult. This one may be great for all I know and I don't think the Coastal is some latter day murderers' row by any stretch but I can't help but think losing our two best linemen and perhaps, our best defensive player may be a bridge to far to overcome. We will see.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
You have to forgive us. Going through the last quarter century of Tech football instills a certain mindset that is borderline fatalistic.

Will agree with this quote. My alumni buddies will quip at times "It is hard being a Tech fan" during the hard times.

Right now in the doldrums, I am really excited about the direction of the program. I believe we will find out early on how well the new staff can coach up the talent. The first six games will be interesting. Where the team ends up at the halfway point in the season is going to be very interesting. How the OL and DL performs will likely be the catalyst for these first games. Who would love to see pressure on the opposing quarterback this year? Or even some effective pass blocking?

I will make my prediction: no way Tech ends up in last place in the "dumpster fire" Coastal.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I can be a little manic myself but come on. The Coastal is a dumpster fire right now so to pick us last is funny. VT has more question marks regarding their coaching staff than we do. I know several Hokie fans who hate Fuentes. Virginia is blah, but they have an exciting QB. Duke just lost their franchise. Miami? That’s right they are back for the 20th season in a row. Pitt is Pitt and UNC has to show they can ever do something. I thin the Coastal winner will have 3 conference losses and we’ll be in that group along with Virginia and Pitt.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, there was that article in the Atlantic this month that showed how badly "experts" are in their predictions....I imagine sports "experts" are even worse!

From the Atlantic article:
With the Cold War in full swing, he collected forecasts from 284 highly educated experts who averaged more than 12 years of experience in their specialties. To ensure that the predictions were concrete, experts had to give specific probabilities of future events. Tetlock had to collect enough predictions that he could separate lucky and unlucky streaks from true skill. The project lasted 20 years, and comprised 82,361 probability estimates about the future.

The result: The experts were, by and large, horrific forecasters. Their areas of specialty, years of experience, and (for some) access to classified information made no difference. They were bad at short-term forecasting and bad at long-term forecasting. They were bad at forecasting in every domain. When experts declared that future events were impossible or nearly impossible, 15 percent of them occurred nonetheless. When they declared events to be a sure thing, more than one-quarter of them failed to transpire. As the Danish proverb warns, “It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future.”
Well, these clowns are excluded from this analysis since they are not experts ...... oh, wait ........ I thought we were talking about sports talk radio hosts .....