GT picked last in Coastal by S & S

Deleted member 2897

We lose Braun, Bryan, and Marshall on the OL, while adding only the transfer Southers. I think we'll be fine at the "skilled" positions, but the offensive line is a major question mark. If they can get it done, I believe we'll have a fairly decent offense. But if they can't, we won't. And we can't afford many injuries there, either.

Well, there are other guys like DeFoor who are much better suited for a traditional OL.

Also, don't forget Bryan wasn't playing much last season - he only started the first 2 games. Cooper, Hansen, and Quinney were 3 starters that are returning. Jahaziel Lee and the Morgan twins also occasionally started and got lots of playing time. Bryan wasn't even seeing the field the second half of the season much less starting.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, there are other guys like DeFoor who are much better suited for a traditional OL.

Also, don't forget Bryan wasn't playing much last season - he only started the first 2 games. Cooper, Hansen, and Quinney were 3 starters that are returning. Jahaziel Lee and the Morgan twins also occasionally started and got lots of playing time. Bryan wasn't even seeing the field the second half of the season much less starting.

True that, and hopefully these guys are getting stronger with the new S&C guy. As the OL goes, so goes the offense.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
New coach, new QB, new offensive system so it is easy to pick us last given our recent ranking in recruiting. Now how UNC is picked above us is bothersome.
Agree that it's easy for "experts" to pick us last for the reasons you mentioned.

I saw the same issues cited by folks on this board throughout last season:
  • New coach... some said the old coach was a hindrance to our success
  • New QB... some said the old QB was a hindrance to our success
  • New offensive system... some said the old offensive system was a hindrance to our success
Some have said all 3 of the aforementioned were an issue at the same time. I'd expect those folks to commit to loftier W/L expectations than I'm seeing. And in that same vein I would expect "transition" to not be an excuse because the basis of the argument is that we are transitioning from a faulty, ineffective offense.

Now, at a minimum our D and ST should be improved. We were pretty darn bad in those phases last year. To what degree we will improve, or if at all, is TBD.

If that is our starting point, I don't see why some are suggesting we should be happy with a bowl game this year. Feels like it's the easy way out to set expectations lower.

Deleted member 2897

Agree that it's easy for "experts" to pick us last for the reasons you mentioned.

I saw the same issues cited by folks on this board throughout last season:
  • New coach... some said the old coach was a hindrance to our success
  • New QB... some said the old QB was a hindrance to our success
  • New offensive system... some said the old offensive system was a hindrance to our success
Some have said all 3 of the aforementioned were an issue at the same time. I'd expect those folks to commit to loftier W/L expectations than I'm seeing. And in that same vein I would expect "transition" to not be an excuse because the basis of the argument is that we are transitioning from a faulty, ineffective offense.

Now, at a minimum our D and ST should be improved. We were pretty darn bad in those phases last year. To what degree we will improve, or if at all, is TBD.

If that is our starting point, I don't see why some are suggesting we should be happy with a bowl game this year. Feels like it's the easy way out to set expectations lower.

Exactly. The same people who trashed our players and systems now can’t predict us to finish EVEN WORSE when we’re upgrading those coaches, systems, and players. LOL.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly. The same people who trashed our players and systems now can’t predict us to finish EVEN WORSE when we’re upgrading those coaches, systems, and players. LOL.
And I actually agree with parts of what hindered us in the past.

So an interesting twist and yes it will get the board argument going again, If CPJ was still the coach, where would we be picked. Here is my take. Well, Clemson is ACC loss number 1. After that though:
Va Tech will probably be firing a coach this year
Miami is a dumpster fire
UNC is going to find out Coach Mac is past his prime
Duke lost the franchise in Jones
Pitt is good but they are in Atlanta
UVA at UVA would be tough
NC State has lost some guys and haven't seen us in 7 years
I say 6-2 5-3 maybe 4-4 at worst.

Frankly we would have had most of the offense back. Issue being D-line

OK so start argument in 1-2-3.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
So an interesting twist and yes it will get the board argument going again, If CPJ was still the coach, where would we be picked. Here is my take. Well, Clemson is ACC loss number 1. After that though:
Va Tech will probably be firing a coach this year
Miami is a dumpster fire
UNC is going to find out Coach Mac is past his prime
Duke lost the franchise in Jones
Pitt is good but they are in Atlanta
UVA at UVA would be tough
NC State has lost some guys and haven't seen us in 7 years
I say 6-2 5-3 maybe 4-4 at worst.

Frankly we would have had most of the offense back. Issue being D-line

OK so start argument in 1-2-3.

Based on Braun leaving being a foregone conclusion whether CPJ stayed or not, losing Adams, Sewak still being retained, not getting the late talent influx of a Lockhart, Brown, Griffin, & the transfers i would probably say 7-5 maybe 8-4

Projected O
Lee
Defoor
Cooper
Hansen
Quinney

Benson(maybe)/Howard
Cottrell
JPM
Camp
Carter

With Oliver as starting QB
Honestly, don’t think Graham would’ve stayed based Spring Practice interview comments

Defense Woodys 3-4
Owens
Glanton
Dingle
Thomas
Jackson
Curry
Henderson
Swilling
Carpenter
J Thomas
Kerr

Considering the conference is trash but our defense would still be wildly inconsistent and give up 5-8ypp on simple out hitched and outs not sure we would compensate what I think is a solid O lineup to make an Coastal run.

I would’ve been a lot more scared of dropping the Temple game with CPJ as well.

Fast forward: a lot of my optimism is based on
1) OLine pieces actually fitting better spread zone blocking scheme than the TO. I believed the Morgan twins would’ve been career backups under CPJ bc of their slow feet and inability to effectively climb to the second level. In this offense, they can be a bit more patient for lack of a better word. Also, Defoors and Quinney look the part. Let’s just pray there are no injuries to tackle tho.

Defense WILL BE MORE AGGRESSIVE and create opportunities ! I’m also counting on Clayton to be available immediately. He won’t be Reggie White but he’ll allow us not to get too funky with personnel by putting an extremely undersized body there.

Expect to see more team wins ala UVA last year than 2/3 of the team clicking and another phase being putrid.

...and the Coastal is trash

Last edited: