GT Peer Group & Path to Success

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’ve posted before the reason why at the end of last season Collins the value of his buyout was essentially the same for then, end of this season and end of next season. It’s not just the size of the buyout it’s the diminishing revenue and the amount of years and ensuing financial damage to repair digging a deeper ditch. It was the whole financial premise behind the movement to replace him in December. It’s essentially a wash. Stansbury made a choice to give him another year and is hoping for the best.
So you aren't providing any information on the financial statements that prove that GT Athletics has the money available to pay the buyout? Instead you want to justify the expense even though the money is not available? There are plenty of people who have bad roofs on their house and can't afford to replace the roof and can't finance it either. It is definitely more expensive to keep the bad roof and suffer water damage to the structure of the house than it is to replace the roof. However, I haven't met a roofing contractor that will provide a roof for free.

If you can find money in the financial statements that is available to pay the buyout and hire a good new coach, I am extremely interested in looking at it. Otherwise, I don't really care about numbers that somebody heard, inferred, or read on a message board. In fact, I don't really care about the interpretations of the public statements from the athletic association. The AI2020 campaign was successful, but it included endowment grants and pledges for future money. There was not an infusion of $175 million in cash to the athletic association. Please find a one time infusion of $38 million in the balance books and point it out to me. I have looked and have not seen it.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
It's a one time infusion, though. We don't have that on an annual basis. How do we get that kind of additional revenue routinely is the question. Right now we have the equivalent of a big stimulus check. We can buy something nice with it but we can't depend on it every year.
Stansbury needs to ask and we’ll deliver. Tell us why he wants the money and if he makes the case, he’ll have more than he asks for.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Stansbury needs to ask and we’ll deliver. Tell us why he wants the money and if he makes the case, he’ll have more than he asks for.

They've been asking for years. We haven't been delivering for just as long. I get multiple calls a year from my ticket rep begging me for more money for the GTAA. All STHs do. Let GTAA get a hold of your phone number and they will call you begging for money. They are asking, and we are still broke. Unless we package it as a capital project, (which appeals to the engineer in us), we tend to be stingy with our money.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
We were rolling it over either late 2020 or early 2021 before the interest rates spiked. If we didn’t do that, fire Stansbury now. It was his top priority. The threat of looming higher interest rates was well understood. I never did get confirmation it happened and at what interest rate but what where they were was very favorable short term and long term.

Agreed. If he didn't refi when interest rates were near all time lows, that would be really bad.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
So you aren't providing any information on the financial statements that prove that GT Athletics has the money available to pay the buyout? Instead you want to justify the expense even though the money is not available? There are plenty of people who have bad roofs on their house and can't afford to replace the roof and can't finance it either. It is definitely more expensive to keep the bad roof and suffer water damage to the structure of the house than it is to replace the roof. However, I haven't met a roofing contractor that will provide a roof for free.

If you can find money in the financial statements that is available to pay the buyout and hire a good new coach, I am extremely interested in looking at it. Otherwise, I don't really care about numbers that somebody heard, inferred, or read on a message board. In fact, I don't really care about the interpretations of the public statements from the athletic association. The AI2020 campaign was successful, but it included endowment grants and pledges for future money. There was not an infusion of $175 million in cash to the athletic association. Please find a one time infusion of $38 million in the balance books and point it out to me. I have looked and have not seen it.

With regard to the buyout, I assume that some or most of that would come directly from outside donations and not cash that is currently in the budget. It would most likely be over some time period as well, maybe the remaining term of his contract.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
With regard to the buyout, I assume that some or most of that would come directly from outside donations and not cash that is currently in the budget. It would most likely be over some time period as well, maybe the remaining term of his contract.
This horse has been beaten to death. Donors came out publicly and stated they'd fund the buyout. Stansbury says it's not money, he's got his man. There isn't a single statement from Stansbury saying he didn't have the money to fire Collins, not a single one. Show me one & I'll believe we need to help pony up the money. Until then all of these "we don't have the money" excuses are all BS. We just have to hope we win because we'll have to fire and AD and a HC to fix our program if things don't change. That will be more expensive than just firing a HC for those fretting about money.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This horse has been beaten to death. Donors came out publicly and stated they'd fund the buyout. Stansbury says it's not money, he's got his man. There isn't a single statement from Stansbury saying he didn't have the money to fire Collins, not a single one. Show me one & I'll believe we need to help pony up the money. Until then all of these "we don't have the money" excuses are all BS. We just have to hope we win because we'll have to fire and AD and a HC to fix our program if things don't change. That will be more expensive than just firing a HC for those fretting about money.

I swear to God it’s fans like you that continuously drone on and on abut negative things that really make me dislike fellow GT fans. Just give it a rest until the end of the season. You suck the life and the fun out of getting excited about my football team playing each weekend.

I’m just going to push my “ignore” into hyperdrive and miss the intelligent posts that have thus far prevented me from “ignoring” certain fonts. Sigh.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

"the money" is kind of a general term .

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Yes, this horse has been beaten to death. THIS article is the ONLY article that quotes ANYONE regarding this situation. It quotes an anonymous source who DOES NOT SAY specifically that the money was available. The anonymous source does not say that money was available to hire a new coach. The anonymous source only said "Stansbury did have at his disposal the resources to make a change had he decided it was necessary." There is an interpretation of that "anonymous" statement that it means the he had $10.5 million for the buyout. A vague description of "resources at his disposal" could mean a lot of things. An "anonymous" source could be someone who didn't really have inside information. All of the other articles written about this referenced this quote. I did not see any other person quoted as saying this. I only saw writers who referenced this quote that was supposedly made to ONLY this reporter.

There isn't a single verifiable statement from ANYONE that he did have the money available. I consider vague statements from a "person familiar with the situation" unreliable at best. However, there are people on internet forums who proclaim that it is an absolute verifiable truth. They proclaim it as truth even though they don't have any clue who the "person familiar with the situation" is. People on forums say that it was a quote from two large boosters, but this reporter has quoted those two and has put their names to their quotes. In this article it is only a vague statement from a "person familiar with the situation", whatever that means.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I swear to God it’s fans like you that continuously drone on and on abut negative things that really make me dislike fellow GT fans. Just give it a rest until the end of the season. You suck the life and the fun out of getting excited about my football team playing each weekend.

I’m just going to push my “ignore” into hyperdrive and miss the intelligent posts that have thus far prevented me from “ignoring” certain fonts. Sigh.

Dude no one cares about your ignore list. You don't have to make an announcement every time you use it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There are posts that seem to speculate that the money is there. However, if you look at an athletic association financial statement or at the year by year on the Knight Commission reports it is plain that there is not more money coming in than going out: https://knightnewhousedata.org/fbs/...f-technology#!quicktabs-tab-where_the_money-1 There are buckets of money that the athletic department has, but most of that is tied up in endowments, from which they can only use the earnings and only for the purpose that the endowment was set up.

If you compare GT to the mutts, GT brings in about $86 million and spends about $85 million. ($86 million in revenue is not very good compared to other P5 programs) The mutts bring in about $170 million and spend about $124 million. The HC for the mutts makes about $8 million more per year than the HC at GT. The buyout for the GT HC at the end of last season was about $12 million. There is absolutely no room in the GT budget for that. There were vague statements that the buyout money was made available by donors, but I still have not seen any on the record statement by anyone who would actually have knowledge that verifies it. The mutts could raise their HC's SALARY by $12 million per year and have it fit in their budget every single year. They could also raise the assistant coaching SALARY pool by $12 million and have it fit in their budget every single year.

If someone wants to look through the financial statements or the Knight Commission reports and finds some mysterious money that I didn't see, I will be happy to hear about it and take another look.
Dude, after today I guarantee the money is there.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Syracuse University’s most famous sports booster has decided to get involved in the name, image and likeness (NIL) space and will offer $1 million per year to one five-star football player and one five-star basketball player to represent his companies.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I clicked the link. He is an "entrepreneur" in upstate NY who, among other things, has interests in "waste management". I am not wet behind the ears and have seen several Sopranos episodes so... in the Northeast isn't "waste management" a code word of sorts for, perhaps, more nebulous ways of making a living? ;)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I clicked the link. He is an "entrepreneur" in upstate NY who, among other things, has interests in "waste management". I am not wet behind the ears and have seen several Sopranos episodes so... in the Northeast isn't "waste management" a code word of sorts for, perhaps, more nebulous ways of making a living? ;)
Your instincts aren't wrong. He is literally a convicted felon...

Who now owns a scrap/recycling business, restaurants, social media influencer, etc. Brought Tom Brady, Giannis Ante..., Jimmy Fallon, Pete Davidson and others as guests to the Dome for basketball games.

Interesting situation, to say the least.