GT Peer Group & Path to Success

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This depend son what conference/division we are in.
But we are gt .
We left SEC to go independent like ND.
But we are Gt.
We borrow and build and don't pay top dollar for
Coaches.
But we are gt.
Because we loose, we stop giving and going.
But we are gt
Hello Bucknell we will whip your axx.
But we are gt
We charge our players so me can make debt payments.
The direction is down and then out.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
But we are gt .
We left SEC to go independent like ND.
But we are Gt.
We borrow and build and don't pay top dollar for
Coaches.
But we are gt.
Because we loose, we stop giving and going.
But we are gt
Hello Bucknell we will whip your axx.
But we are gt
We charge our players so me can make debt payments.
The direction is down and then out.
I have no idea where this is going, but on my way to play golf this morning, Sirius had a program on talking about how Mark Stoops arrived to a 2-10 team and has systematically rebuilt every aspect of the program. First, by heavily recruiting not in KY but Ohio. Winning a little, then a little more, then a lot more. And the Administration told him, "Win some, we will spend some" ... and now, in 2022 ... KY facilities are as good as what you will find at almost any other SEC school. Stoops is now the winningest coach at KY. Amazing run.

Oh, and by the way, KY has fewer resources than Tech.

I am glad we won yesterday. I'm hoping to be 2-2 by the end of September.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea where this is going, but on my way to play golf this morning, Sirius had a program on talking about how Mark Stoops arrived to a 2-10 team and has systematically rebuilt every aspect of the program. First, by heavily recruiting not in KY but Ohio. Winning a little, then a little more, then a lot more. And the Administration told him, "Win some, we will spend some" ... and now, in 2022 ... KY facilities are as good as what you will find at almost any other SEC school. Stoops is now the winningest coach at KY. Amazing run.

Oh, and by the way, KY has fewer resources than Tech.

I am glad we won yesterday. I'm hoping to be 2-2 by the end of September.
What a load
KENTUCKY HAS FEWER RESOURCES THAN TECH.

I bet u can't back that up w sourced data.

My soucre is the Knight Data base for NCAA athletic finances is.

KENTUCKY ATLETICS has been got SEC tv money for years
In 2020 they got 68M. GT total revenue 86M.

.Please show me other info.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
What a load

This in my opinion is the best website when it comes to money for athletic programs and each sport. For 2020-21, Tech's operating expenses was $19,854,441 compared to UK's $24,684,438 which definitely proves your point.

Looking deeper at the numbers, Tech's revenue was 26th in the country, better than Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, and others. I just find this very interesting when it comes to the money conversation for Tech.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

This in my opinion is the best website when it comes to money for athletic programs and each sport. For 2020-21, Tech's operating expenses was $19,854,441 compared to UK's $24,684,438 which definitely proves your point.

Looking deeper at the numbers, Tech's revenue was 26th in the country, better than Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, and others. I just find this very interesting when it comes to the money conversation for Tech.
I like it .

However the Knight NCAA
Let's u see total and make up of revenue and budget over long period.

The SEC tv gave their member 1$b before the ACC started. THEN what accn gave was upped to maintain the YEARLY revenue advantage.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
I like it .

However the Knight NCAA
Let's u see total and make up of revenue and budget over long period.

The SEC tv gave their member 1$b before the ACC started. THEN what accn gave was upped to maintain the YEARLY revenue advantage.
I dont know where you can get long term numbers, but the site does provide detailed breakdowns for each school including media rights, conference contributions, etc. and you can break it down further by sport.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What a load

Please put your panties back on.

Kentucky generated $29.8M in football revenue in 2021. Georgia Tech generated $37.0M. Ergo, GT has more resources than KY. That DOES NOT MEAN, to those from La Jolla, that the money is BETTER SPENT. I have long maintained that we have idiots running the GTAA, but the fact remains ... KY is not in a demonstrably superior position to GT re football.

I will admit, they might receive more in conference payouts, but that doesn't mean that they generate more from football. And they may spend more of the conference payout on basketball. But that is their right.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Kentucky generated $29.8M in football revenue in 2021. Georgia Tech generated $37.0M. Ergo, GT has more resources than KY. That DOES NOT MEAN, to those from La Jolla, that the money is BETTER SPENT. I have long maintained that we have idiots running the GTAA, but the fact remains ... KY is not in a demonstrably superior position to GT re football.

I will admit, they might receive more in conference payouts, but that doesn't mean that they generate more from football. And they may spend more of the conference payout on basketball. But that is their right.

Also, in total sports revenue, KY is almost 50% higher. I don't know that I trust the breakdowns on that site. Different schools put dollars in different buckets. KY might put some things in non-sport specific revenue that GT puts in football revenue. The Knight report is probably better, and the USA Today information is probably better. (even though USA Today actually states that different schools report the numbers differently.)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Also, in total sports revenue, KY is almost 50% higher. I don't know that I trust the breakdowns on that site. Different schools put dollars in different buckets. KY might put some things in non-sport specific revenue that GT puts in football revenue. The Knight report is probably better, and the USA Today information is probably better. (even though USA Today actually states that different schools report the numbers differently.)
Good point.

But let the OP do the financial comparison. He made the claim that he trusted the Knight Commission ... so, let him do the breakdown and the analysis of where KY generates funds and where they spend it.

UTK for example, gets the same conference payouts but ... has a much larger total sports program. Where they decide to invest is up to them. And it's up to ANY university to decide its priorities.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I will admit, they might receive more in conference payouts, but that doesn't mean that they generate more from football. And they may spend more of the conference payout on basketball. But that is their I will do the chart of

Kentucky has less resources than Tech is a silly statement . The tv people get their money from football not basketball so they expect Kentucky to get show up in SEC games.
( In 63 years Kentucky has 3 seasons where they finished above 50% in SEC)
Ga State w former gt strength coach Sisk just beat Nebraska. Nebraska w B10 TV money fired Scott North . If they waited 19 days they save 7 5 million dollars.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Kentucky has less resources than Tech is a silly statement . The tv people get their money from football not basketball so they expect Kentucky to get show up in SEC games.
Ga State w former gt strength coach Sisk just beat Nebraska. Nebraska w B10 TV money fired Scott North . If they waited 19 days they save 7 5 million dollars.
Southern not State

slugboy

Staff member
Kentucky is like Duke in that they have a lot of money from basketball that they can apply to football. They were also like Duke in that football didn't naturally pull in a lot of revenue. However, if they keep going like they're going, they're going to have plenty of people showing up to watch football.

Kentucky and Nebraska both pull in more TV revenue than we do thanks to conference affiliation, but both have lots of other money they pull in too. Nebraska has one of the best funded AAs around thanks to attendance and donations. They sell a ton of gear, and there are other reasons they're flush with cash.

I think you meant Scott Frost. I don't know who Scott North is.

I think the original point was that we're more in trouble through poor management of the AA than because of our income, and that there's plenty of income to produce healthy football and basketball programs. I'd say it's more of a question of what fraction of our problems are from mismanagement and what fraction from fan support, but they're related. From about 2000 through 2022, we've managed to put our financial house in a lot of disorder, and it shows up in our performance, too.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Kentucky is like Duke in that they have a lot of money from basketball that they can apply to football. They were also like Duke in that football didn't naturally pull in a lot of revenue. However, if they keep going like they're going, they're going to have plenty of people showing up to watch football.

Kentucky and Nebraska both pull in more TV revenue than we do thanks to conference affiliation, but both have lots of other money they pull in too. Nebraska has one of the best funded AAs around thanks to attendance and donations. They sell a ton of gear, and there are other reasons they're flush with cash.

I think you meant Scott Frost. I don't know who Scott North is.

I think the original point was that we're more in trouble through poor management of the AA than because of our income, and that there's plenty of income to produce healthy football and basketball programs. I'd say it's more of a question of what fraction of our problems are from mismanagement and what fraction from fan support, but they're related. From about 2000 through 2022, we've managed to put our financial house in a lot of disorder, and it shows up in our performance, too.
Seems like i am I the only business owner on the forum. Debt that lingers is death in a private non assest business.

Even with espn money we have not paid the 200m debt down - that's 12 m a year in interest only $ till debt holder wants more.
(With Excess Cash Flow over Gt Kentucky and Nebraska can make $' moves that Gt can't. Add NIL and we are further behind. (I will get the donations for gt, UK, neb and see where we stand)

Schools w easy couses like ga state, app state, Marshall will be players in future tv market. Watch game day Saturday.

The next phase of tv money and realignment gives me a sense of urgency that my debaters don't share.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The next phase of tv money and realignment gives me a sense of urgency that my debaters don't share.
What is to debate? GT is more like Vanderbilt now with a heavy focus on academics, a tolerance for athletics, and lukewarm fan support. I don't see where that changes. The only thing that changes is the question of recruiting vs. use of the portal.

slugboy

Staff member
Pitt, Wake, Purdue, and other schools field good teams and have decent academics. We don’t have to fall all the way to Vandy levels.

However, we aren’t playing the same game Oklahoma is.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Pitt, Wake, Purdue, and other schools field good teams and have decent academics. We don’t have to fall all the way to Vandy levels.

However, we aren’t playing the same game Oklahoma is.
That's my point. We have to find a way to be relevant and it's folly to think we are going to overtake any state university. We just don't have the scale.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
That's my point. We have to find a way to be relevant and it's folly to think we are going to overtake any state university. We just don't have the scale.
Look at stanford. They've had big success in football in the last 20 years and they have HARDER academic standards than Tech. Academics is no excuse for losing. Tech has won before, we have got to get back to winning again. BUT... be a little patient, unless we go 1-11, we probably won't fire Collins until December. I'm tired of all the "FIRE COLLINS NOW" comments, only way we'd do that is if we ended up losing on Saturday to WCU. The Ole Miss game will be very important, will most likely set tone of this season.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Look at stanford. They've had big success in football in the last 20 years and they have HARDER academic standards than Tech. Academics is no excuse for losing. Tech has won before, we have got to get back to winning again. BUT... be a little patient, unless we go 1-11, we probably won't fire Collins until December. I'm tired of all the "FIRE COLLINS NOW" comments, only way we'd do that is if we ended up losing on Saturday to WCU. The Ole Miss game will be very important, will most likely set tone of this season.

Stanford is a unique story. They had several boosters set up a huge endowment for sports, particularly football, and they used it to pay top money for a coaching staff in the early to mid 2000's. Harbaugh and staff built a solid program and thrived in the vacuum created by the massive USC sanctions after the Reggie Bush scandal broke. Shaw had some success initially, but has failed to maintain the levels of success that were initially built under Harbaugh. They are, however, in a good spot to recover and win at elevated levels again.

The major difference is in a few things, however. First, USC is about to Bolt to the B1G. In a watered down PAC-?? they should be able to establish themselves as a perennial contender because they have three major things to offer: A degree from Stanford, lots of majors to get said degree in, and a cash rich program that can afford to stay in the game with fellow west coast schools not named USC and Oregon.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Look at stanford. They've had big success in football in the last 20 years and they have HARDER academic standards than Tech

I wasn't referencing academics as much sheer scale. The $ gap between average programs and leading programs in 1990 wasn't near the level it is today. Tech is in a basically break-even mode and it's tough to achieve escape velocity with zero thrust.

That's the question that I don't think any GTAA AD has ever answered: "Can Tech compete in this environment and if so, how?" That requires a specific, not a general answer and I don't recall anyone even attempting to address it, except perhaps CPJ.